PDA

View Full Version : Genomics: DNA and diasporas

Heber
01-21-2016, 07:29 PM
Genomics: DNA and diasporas

Fatimah L. C. Jackson
Nature 529, 279280 (21 January 2016) doi:10.1038/529279a
Published online 20 January 2016

imah L. C. Jackson weighs up a study on the cultural politics of genetic testing among African Americans.

The Social Life of DNA: Race, Reparations, and Reconciliation After the Genome
Alondra Nelson Beacon: 2016.
ISBN: 9780807033012

Genetic analyses, including research on the origins of Europeans, have been invaluable in clarifying disputed or unresolved aspects of population history. Yet studies of the genetics of African diasporas, including those in the Americas, are in their infancy. This is largely down to a lack of interest among majority-population researchers, limited historical knowledge of the groups' origins and dispersions, and a paucity of meaningful interdisciplinary collaborations between researchers exploring population substructure in the various African diasporas.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v529/n7586/full/529279a.html

This is a topic close to my heart. Although my main area of interest lies in connecting the Irish and Celtic Diaspora, this paper presents the challenges faced in developing genetics for the African Diaspora.

rms2
01-21-2016, 08:01 PM
I apologize, but I am wondering what African diasporas have to do with Celts that a thread about them should be started in the Celtic subforum. After all, there is an African subforum at the top of the international section.