PDA

View Full Version : Older genetic ties - celiac / lactose intolerance

Blitz
02-05-2016, 12:32 PM
Just curious, as anyone considered the possibility that celiac and lactose intolerance is attributed to older genetic ties.

Cause mum's father's side goes back to the Anglo-Saxons era, by pedigree and some DNA testing. There is a number of people with celiac problems. From what I understand, and I maybe wrong, is that older populations were not widely wheat eaters. Oats and other grains but not wheat. I mean even the gladiators had a division in their diets - some were said to be wheat / barley eaters & others simply beans & other greens. A number of actually gluten free foods were grown by ancient peoples.

Lactose intolerance, my father's side is as old or older than mum's side. Some put us into the 2nd century. Now there is quite a bit of distant Iberian & Spanish DNA as per gedmatch. If you check lactose intolerance by country lactose intolerance is mostly in that region - some maps up it up for 70+% with a lactose intolerance. However, the Vikings / Nords and their "colonies" [aka the UK] have a low lactose intolerance %, 40% at the very most. This would support the Roman-Brit gladiators - two of whom are lactose intolerant apparently - which, according to a genetic researcher [of 30 years] that has been following our line my father's side is a potential distant descendent of. Hence prompting some contact with the actual researchers for comparison. Ironically blood type 0, Romano-British typical blood type while Anglo Saxons & Nords are A & B.

GTC
02-05-2016, 10:31 PM
and some DNA testing.

What are the haplogroups of those who have been DNA tested?

leonardo
02-05-2016, 10:59 PM
With celiac disease, it is not only an allergy to wheat, but rye and barley as well. If my knowledge is correct, these latter grains aware common among those of antiquity, at least in Northern Europe.

Blitz
02-06-2016, 11:36 AM
R1b - general, can be anyone on this planet. The actual sub-haplogroup is said to be rather old Celtic.
U6a - originated in the Iberian / Northern Italy area
V - german

Unless I am mistaken, haplogroups are irrelevant. Both of these issues are carried by genes, not haplogroups. All haplogroups do is give you a very vague basis of origin. Because if it really mattered, the R1b region [Nordic, British] would be overrun with lactose intolerance which it isn't.

GTC
02-06-2016, 01:10 PM
R1b - general, can be anyone on this planet. The actual sub-haplogroup is said to be rather old Celtic.

Specifically?

Unless I am mistaken, haplogroups are irrelevant. Both of these issues are carried by genes, not haplogroups. All haplogroups do is give you a very vague basis of origin.

I'm interested in your theories about the male lineage as mentioned here, and in your other posts.

As for the propensity to develop the symptoms of celiac disease, I think this article explains it quite well: http://www.glutenfreeliving.com/gluten-free/celiac-disease/genetic-testing-celiac-disease/