PDA

View Full Version : Why Dont I Get Colds

basque
02-09-2013, 11:02 PM
I never seem to catch colds even when everyone around me is coughing and sneezing, sometimes I feel like I am getting one then it goes after an hour.

Does this mean my immune system is working well and killing the virus or not reacting to the virus so I get no symptoms.

basque :rolleyes:

rock hunter
03-02-2015, 09:30 AM
I see this is an old question but it might be ccr5 delta 32 mutation , I read they think it might work to mutate the receptors the flu virus uses as well as Smallpox ,Black Death , and HIV ,that or you have a great immune system . Did you get a smallpox inoculation and not react to it ?, they tried it on me 5 times as a child and twice in the military before they decided I was born immune but I do not know if it is from ccr5 mutation or if it is if it is on both sides or just one. And I too do not get sick when all around me are.

GTC
03-02-2015, 10:47 AM
I used to catch colds and flu whenever they were around, especially when using public transport, and they took ages to clear up. However, some years ago I was convinced by a work colleague (who never seemed to succumb) to get into the vitamin C habit. I started drinking fresh orange or mandarin juice every single day and since then I have almost completely dodged colds and the flu.

I did manage to cop a dose of flu from a young kid who sneezed right into my face but that was comparatively mild and took only a few days to recover from rather than the days in bed I used to experience.

So, keeping up the vitamin C works for my metabolism. Your mileage may vary.

GTC
03-02-2015, 10:48 AM
I used to catch colds and flu whenever they were around, especially when using public transport, and they took ages to clear up. However, some years ago I was convinced by a work colleague (who never seemed to succumb) to get into the vitamin C habit. I started drinking a large glass of fresh orange or mandarin juice every single day and since then I have almost completely dodged colds and the flu.

I did manage to cop a dose of flu from a young kid who sneezed right into my face but that was comparatively mild and took only a few days to recover from rather than the days in bed I used to experience.

So, keeping up the vitamin C works for my metabolism. Your mileage may vary.

rock hunter
03-02-2015, 04:55 PM
I think we are talking of never getting a cold or flu ,not just rarely getting one. But I did look and found this about vitamin C

Large doses of vitamin C may help reduce the duration of a cold, but they do not appear to protect against one in the first place, even after exposure to a cold. Vitamin C may only be useful in case of a cold if you have low levels of this nutrient to begin with. Ref: nim.nih.gov/ Medlineplus

I think there might be something at work with C , but I do not think
a Vitamin can stop a Virus. Marmite maybe ,but not C.

surbakhunWeesste
03-05-2015, 03:05 AM
I don't catch cold/flu either. I never get those freaky flu shots either.