PDA

View Full Version : The Truth About Butter

basque
02-10-2013, 11:00 PM
At last the truth about butter.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2274747/At-truth-Butter-GOOD--margarine-chemical-gunk.html?ito=feeds-news#axzz2KXWSI8mR

basque :rolleyes:

amerinese
02-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Yes, of course. Butter is a natural food, and from what I have read, insects won't even eat margarine.

I have been avoiding margarine for a decade now.

DMXX
02-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Butter has (if I trust the words of a nutritionist I knew) a far more beneficial effect on the body than margarine does. One very overlooked benefit, according to her, is increased vitamin D synthesis in the body. No wonder North Europeans tend to be taller and bigger boned than other populations with their reliance on butter and milk!

If it is common knowledge in the nutritional world (as I'm led to believe by the exasperated way she discussed it with me), then, the margarine hype in Western societies is probably a product of mass advertising for a presumably cheaper product?

geebee
02-13-2013, 06:42 AM
This is one of those things that seems to have come full circle. Originally I think margarine was only used because of its cost, then there were favorable health claims.

But I've always preferred butter mainly because it tastes much better, and it's nice to know it may also be a better choice health wise. As an aside, once upon a time the manufacturers of margarine were not permitted to color it at the factory. Margarine was sold with dye packets so you could do it yourself.

basque
02-13-2013, 09:42 PM
I have always used butter margarine tastes like the smell of plastic, I also use full fat milk.

basque :rolleyes:

MikeWhalen
02-14-2013, 12:08 PM
hot butter on popcorn or to dip your crab legs in....mmmmmmmm

ilmari
02-15-2013, 06:51 AM
Betty Botter bought some butter,
"But," she said, "this butter's bitter;
If I put it in my batter,
It will make my batter bitter;
But a bit of better butter,
Better than the bitter butter
Will but make my bitter batter better."

So she bought a bit of better butter,
Better than the bitter butter,
and made her bitter batter better.

The following version is tightly worded:

Betty Botter bought a bit of butter.
The butter Betty Botter bought was a bit bitter
And made her batter bitter.
But a bit of better butter
Makes better batter.
So Betty Botter bought a bit of better butter,
Making Betty Botter's bitter batter better.

My own version was somewhat easier and somewhere betwixt the two.

utR!
02-16-2013, 08:15 AM
I do like the taste of butter and used to eat it most of time while living in the farm. My mother teached me to do these Karelian pies which are over the top delicious with butter egg. Just when they are out of hot owen pies need to be brushed with butter-milk in order to get them soft. Tasty nam.

:)

utR!