PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Lost a Significant Amount of Weight?

Scarlet Ibis
02-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Has anyone here ever lost a significant amount of weight? If so, how did you do it? And did you keep the weight off, or did you regain it?

Clinton P
02-22-2013, 02:12 PM
87 kilograms (13st 10lb or 192 lbs) is average weight at which people start to diet

Top seven triggers for losing weight are:

Unflattering photos
Poor health
Friends or family losing weight
Not wanting to be fat for a milestone birthday
Wanting to keep up with children or grandchildren
Being called names in the street
Getting married

Clinton P

apophis99942
02-23-2013, 02:33 AM
Portion control & excellent sleep

Grossvater
02-23-2013, 07:09 AM
I've lost 53 pounds in the last year. I lost the first 25 by cutting out regular soda pop and fruit juice. I lost the rest by cutting back on the carbs.

apophis99942
02-25-2013, 03:14 AM
I hope this helps:

19. To increase metabolism, eat a meal about every three waking hours (5 or 6 feedings per day). You will not be eating more food; you will simply be spreading it throughout the day. Each of those five or six feedings should contain at least 15 grams of unprocessed protein (from natural sources) for a female or at least 20 grams per feeding for a male. It's important to drink plenty of clean water- at least 3 quarts daily. Among many other benefits, water will help your body to process proteins. Just by itself, eating this way, while avoiding processed (refined) carbohydrates, is one of the best ways to increase metabolism (specific types of exercise are other excellent ways)

This is the source (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/If_you_only_eat_one_meal_a_day_will_you_lose_weigh t).

DMXX
03-01-2013, 07:13 PM
To share my experience for those that do not know it:

I have always been a big eater. During my early teens this was kept firmly in line with semi-professional swimming and martial arts. I could eat to my heart's content with the assurance my high activity would decimate the calories away.

From then to around April 2007, however, the sports were removed from my life (moved) and I continued eating unchecked. I reached my heaviest weight ever at 107kg's despite only being 17 and 5'7". I went from having a very athletic body (four pack and good enough endurance for regional competitions) to having a 46" waist and being clinically obese (BMI of 38).

At that point, I took several steps that brought my obese, sedentary and useless body to around 85kg's over a period of two years by doing the following:

- Cut out all sugary drinks
- Ate out only on weekends
- Cut my carbs by half
- Began light resistance training and cardio using dumbbells and an elliptical at home

Upon joining university, I became a gym-goer for the first time in my life. I reached a "cut best" of 74kg's by adding the following:

- Proper weight training with compound moves
- 15 minutes intense cardio after every gym session
- Added milk to my diet once more (always found this helped with muscle building and fat loss)

I am currently 84kg's and 5'11" after putting quite a bit of muscle on. However, if I could do everything again, I would include the following things I swear by right now (which keep me from gaining much fat even with my occasional binges):

- Green tea (several cups a day)
- 30 min - 1 hour walks (far less glycogen store/muscle "energy" depletion than short exercise bursts and better for cardiovascular health)

Right now, after spending a solid week in the gynaecology department, running on an average of 5 hours sleep a night and revising for upcoming exams, I feel much fatter since last week. I know this is a function of cortisol circulation. My biggest problem ever isn't the motivation to exercise or even the willpower to eat correctly for 6 days a week, it's having a stable sleep pattern, which reaks havoc on your body's physiology. I have all sorts of random unexplained health problems because of poor sleep and, if I had realised this years ago, I would've been much better off.

The perfect plan for me right now that will help me melt fat off would be continuing my weight training (hybrid approach), prolonged cardio, plenty of fluids inc. green tea and getting at least 9 hours sleep a night.

apophis99942
03-03-2013, 03:04 AM
The Chicago Chronicle had a good article on sleep deprivation, it's old though.

Cutting back from the standard eight down to four hours of sleep each night produced striking changes in glucose tolerance and endocrine function––changes that resembled the effects of advanced age or the early stages of diabetes––after less than one week.

Although many studies have examined the short-term effects of acute, total sleep deprivation on the brain, this is the first to investigate the impact of chronic, partial sleep loss on the body by evaluating the metabolism and hormone secretion of subjects who were subjected to sleep restriction and after-sleep recovery.

“We found that the metabolic and endocrine changes resulting from a significant sleep debt mimic many of the hallmarks of aging,” said Eve Van Cauter, Research Professor in Medicine and director of the study. “We suspect that chronic sleep loss may not only hasten the onset but could also increase the severity of age-related ailments such as diabetes, hypertension, obesity and memory loss.”

Cutting back on sleep is an extremely common response to the time pressures of modern industrial societies. The average night’s sleep decreased from about nine hours in 1910 to about 7.5 hours in 1975, a trend that continues. Millions of shift workers average less than five hours of sleep per workday. Previous studies, however, have measured only the cognitive consequences of sleep loss.

My source (http://chronicle.uchicago.edu/991202/sleep.shtml)

AJL
03-03-2013, 03:53 AM
Lots of other good reasons to get your shut-eye.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/02/20/1217154110.abstract

DMXX
03-04-2013, 02:04 AM
Side-discussion on oxidative stress moved here (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?710-Oxidative-Stress&p=4415#post4415).

Telfermagne
04-25-2015, 08:50 PM
Has anyone here ever lost a significant amount of weight? If so, how did you do it? And did you keep the weight off, or did you regain it?

I managed to trim down from over 350 lbs to 183 lbs in about a year and a half. The trick was beginning with calorie restriction and basic calisthenics, then working up to calisthenics plus cardio (half hour of jumping rope at 100 skips per min or 2 mile runs). Once at a desired weight I began stronglifts 5x5 to build power.

For diet I eat a minimum of 1 gram of protein per pound and eat small meals frequently that incorporate either tuna, lean chicken, salmon, varied nuts, beef jerkey, ostrich or elk jerkey, protein shakes (whey, casein, and soy), spinach, mango, pineapple, strawberries, kiwi, grapes, etc.

Also, hydrate! I drink at minimum a gallon of water daily.

Typical workout plan (modified around duties):

MWF stronglifts 5x5 (Reg the Leg's gift to humanity)

tues thurs calisthenics (pushups, pullups, curlups).

Saturday and Sunday 48 hour recovery unless on duty during one of those days.

*Depending on cycle I work in endurance runs on calisthenics days.

One thing I did learn is don't be afraid to eat if you want power in addition to being lean, when progressing to stronglifts I tried to maintain a 1800 calorie diet and it did more harm than good, eat in accordance with expense (my typical day that combines workouts and labor/duties easily expends in excess of 3000 calories).

Stephen1986
04-25-2015, 10:30 PM
I've lost 44lbs since last May and aim to lose another 19lbs. I'm 5 foot 9 and a half/176cm tall and currently weigh 174lbs. I use MyFitnessPal to count my calories - weight loss is 80% diet, and by making sure I stick to a certain number of calories I've lost all of that weight, my waist has gone from 40in to 33in and my hips from 43in to 38in (WHR, waist hip ratio, can be a very good indicator of how weight affects the health of an individual).

I feel healthier and happier having lost all of that excess weight, although it's still weird to be able to feel my bones.

Arbogan
04-25-2015, 11:15 PM
I've lost 44lbs since last May and aim to lose another 19lbs. I'm 5 foot 9 and a half/176cm tall and currently weigh 174lbs. I use MyFitnessPal to count my calories - weight loss is 80% diet, and by making sure I stick to a certain number of calories I've lost all of that weight, my waist has gone from 40in to 33in and my hips from 43in to 38in (WHR, waist hip ratio, can be a very good indicator of how weight affects the health of an individual).

I feel healthier and happier having lost all of that excess weight, although it's still weird to be able to feel my bones.
Although i'm not sure why'd want to lose another 19 lbs. From a health perspective it's probably not going to make a big difference health wise. another 5 lbs would round your weight loss off nicely. Good job on the weight loss!

Stephen1986
04-25-2015, 11:19 PM
Although i'm not sure why'd want to lose another 19 lbs. From a health perspective it's probably not going to make a big difference health wise. another 5 lbs would round your weight loss off nicely. Good job on the weight loss!

I'm trying to get it around the middle of the healthy range for my height, but I'll certainly not go that far if I don't have to, and thanks.

Arbogan
04-25-2015, 11:39 PM
I'm trying to get it around the middle of the healthy range for my height, but I'll certainly not go that far if I don't have to, and thanks.

think more like this: take the last 2 digits of your height in CM. +- 2 kg

Alpine Hominin
04-25-2015, 11:58 PM
I lost about 76 lb's the year before last. The three biggest contributors to losing the weight were removing soda and other bad drinks in favor of water, quit eating fast food, and getting more active. I went through a spell of not leaving the house much after the death of a close family member and at my heaviest hit 315 lb's (I'm 6'2). I managed to get down to 240 with just these 3 things (I drank a very unhealthy amount of Dr. Pepper).

This past year, I began caring for an Alzheimer's and Parkinson's patient. Having to be around the house all hours of the day and cheat eating fast food when convenient brought me back up to about 270. I recently got a new Job, fixed my eating habits, and have been getting more physical again.

Krampus
04-26-2015, 12:38 AM
Please delete.

King
04-26-2015, 01:36 AM
think more like this: take the last 2 digits of your height in CM. +- 2 kg

Everyone carries their weight differently.

Gray Fox
04-26-2015, 02:31 PM
My healthy weight is usually anywhere from 225 to 230 lbs. I stand six foot tall and I have a large frame, so really I'm built more like a person a few inches taller than me. My paternal grandpa was built the same way. Anyways, I'm currently hovering around at my absolute heaviest which is generally 275 to 280 lbs. Once it warms up and stays that way, I plan on dropping at least 30 lbs. before the year is out. For me the main thing is to quit drinking sugary beverages and fast food. If I abstain from those two things, then I should be able to shed the pounds pretty rapidly.

The lowest I've weighed since I've reached my adult height is 195 lbs. That was too thin and the way I was living, partying all the time and not eating, was a reflection of that.

fil
04-27-2015, 12:34 AM
Me. I used to be around 150-160 lb (all fat) and I dropped to around 115. From there I gained back up to 145ish but its muscle. I also helped my fiancÚ drop from 150 to 120lb and my best friend from around 180-190 something to 145lbs. The main thing is exercising consistently (I go 3x a week for 1-1.5 hrs), eating healthy and multiple times a day (smaller meals but more times). Honestly I think the best food is greek yogurt. High in protein but low in calories, keeps you full and tastes great. I literally have a drawer or shelf in the fridge dedicated to greek yogurt hahaha. Egg whites are also good but they get boring really quickly.