PDA

View Full Version : Which is the most successful GEDMATCH calculator for verifying ancestry?

Boeck
03-12-2016, 10:34 PM
I would like to post the results from my mom, three of her siblings and her mother, I have seen their GEDMATCH results on all calculators, but which one is most conclusive?

What I would like to know is if it is consistent with their father being German. I don't have his results, but is it possible to get a rough idea of what they might be, based on the results of the three siblings and the mother? They do say "anything your mother doesn't have comes from the father" but what if it is something that both the mother and the children have as their main component (such as West European on the Dodecad V3)?

BalkanKiwi
03-13-2016, 04:52 AM
I would like to post the results from my mom, three of her siblings and her mother, I have seen their GEDMATCH results on all calculators, but which one is most conclusive?

What I would like to know is if it is consistent with their father being German. I don't have his results, but is it possible to get a rough idea of what they might be, based on the results of the three siblings and the mother? They do say "anything your mother doesn't have comes from the father" but what if it is something that both the mother and the children have as their main component (such as West European on the Dodecad V3)?

There is no one "perfect" or "most accurate calculator". Each one was made for a different purpose and as such results will vary from calculator to calculator. Those with mostly European ancestry will find the Eurogenes calculators to be quite useful. The PuntDNAL calculators also do a good job. If you don't know much about your ancestry on paper, it can become guess work because there may not be a lot of consistency in the results.

Boeck
03-13-2016, 03:57 PM
There is no one "perfect" or "most accurate calculator". Each one was made for a different purpose and as such results will vary from calculator to calculator. Those with mostly European ancestry will find the Eurogenes calculators to be quite useful. The PuntDNAL calculators also do a good job. If you don't know much about your ancestry on paper, it can become guess work because there may not be a lot of consistency in the results.

I do know what my known ancestry on paper is:

Dad's mom: Norwegian

Dad's dad: German, French

Mom's mom: Irish, Belgian

Mom's dad: German

What I would like to determine is if their results are consistent with their ancestry

Tolan
03-13-2016, 04:50 PM
I do know what my known ancestry on paper is:

Dad's mom: Norwegian

Dad's dad: German, French

Mom's mom: Irish, Belgian

Mom's dad: German

What I would like to determine is if their results are consistent with their ancestry

It's impossible!
Your origins population are too close to each other.
Someone who would be 100% of these countries, perhaps we could find a country that could match.
But a mixture with very close countries: it is impossible

Boeck
03-13-2016, 05:29 PM
It's impossible!
Your origins population are too close to each other.
Someone who would be 100% of these countries, perhaps we could find a country that could match.
But a mixture with very close countries: it is impossible

I know those are similar countries. But what I would like to find out is if I'm 100% European or if there is Jewish, Native American, Roma, that kind of stuff. I want to be accurate when I tell people my ancestry

BalkanKiwi
03-13-2016, 10:12 PM
I know those are similar countries. But what I would like to find out is if I'm 100% European or if there is Jewish, Native American, Roma, that kind of stuff. I want to be accurate when I tell people my ancestry

You're unlikely to get all of that from test results. You're going to have to find matches, likely multiple ones with haplogroups common to those populations, and look to see if you share segments on a particular spot on a chromosome/s. If you don't have a paper trail for those specific types of ancestry, it can be very hard to prove/disprove.

vettor
03-14-2016, 10:02 AM
Dodecad K12b still holds a lot of value even today

When will someone create a calculator to match Haak K17 ( or was it K19 ...I cannot remember )