PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to infer a Y-DNA haplogroup from a FTDNA project results?

Grossvater
03-28-2016, 01:49 AM
When we received my wife's 23andMe testing results a few years ago, her closest match was from a man in Ohio. He is without a doubt a close relative, physically resembles one of our nephews and has matches with most of my wife's matches who connect through a small town in Eastern Kentucky on her father's side. The man, however, was adopted. All he knows is his mother's surname which is not one of my wife's family names. I suspect he is related to my wife through his father.

This man's Y-DNA haplogroup is R1b-U106-L48. We have not had my wife's father DNA tested but in the paternal line he comes from a well documented old settler Jamestown family whose original progenitor in the male line coincidentally shares the same name as my father-in-law. There is a project at FTDNA with many multiple tests of people who share my father-in-law's surname and claim descent from the Jamestown progenitor. On the project, all the haplogroups are listed as R1b-M269. That doesn't tell me very much.

I wrote to the administrator of the project asking for clarification on the Jamestown Progenitor's haplogroup but was simply ignored.

This may be a really dumb question but can a man's Y-DNA haplogroup be inferred from any of the numbers listed in the project?

VinceT
03-28-2016, 02:37 AM
This man might descend from *any* of your wife's male ancestors. Also, the R-L48 haplogroup is a significantly large one.

Coincidence remains coincidence until it can be proven otherwise. I don't think it will be possible to narrow down which male ancestor until Y-DNA testing is done on male-line descendants of each male ancestor (i.e from each of her 4th or 5th great-grandfathers if the match is that far back), which can be a costly proposition considering that she has 16 or 32 of them, and chances are that more than one of them could belong under R-L48. Refining both their haplogroups with the appropriate SNP Pack or even an NGS test (such as BigY or Y-Elite) may even be necessary.

You are correct in that R1b-M269 isn't very helpful, since approximately 50% of all European men belong to R1b-M269 (even 70% or greater in the UK and Ireland): a haplogroup that likely traces back to a Copper Age or early Bronze Age Yamna migration from the Pontic–Caspian Steppe.

It may be more appropriate and beneficial for your wife's match to test 67 or 111 STR markers and join the R-U106 Project (https://www.familytreedna.com/public/u106/default.aspx) at FTDNA, which would also enable us to compare his STRs with other public project matches.

The key strategy: find a close match using at least 67 STR markers first, then refine haplogroup testing as required.