PDA

View Full Version : My mom gets connections with Finns sometimes

Gary Corbett
03-28-2016, 01:57 AM
But I have no idea why...

C J Wyatt III
03-28-2016, 02:25 AM

I assume that she is H1ay, too. that seems to be pretty rare, I saw three on the H1 mtDNA Project, but none of them had a Family Finder kit uploaded to GEDmatch.

MitchellSince1893
03-28-2016, 04:26 AM

Maybe your mom has ancestors from the Delaware River valley

As already noted, a group of Finns came to the region in the 1660s from Sweden, but even after this, the Delaware settlement was still quite modest in size, numbering only about 500-600.2

Since nearly all of New Sweden's inhabitants came from regions within the Kingdom of Sweden, they were obviously all called Swedes. This has been the point of departure in much of the Swedish research into the Delaware settlement. But the origins of the inhabitants can also be studied in another way. We can ask, how large a percentage of settlers came from the region of Sweden which later became Finland? In the same way we can ask, how large a share of the colony's inhabitants came from Värmland's "Finnish Forests" in Sweden itself These questions, of course, have greatly interested Finnish American as well as Finnish researchers.

It is quite possible that there were no Finns in the first Swedish expedition that arrived on the Delaware River in 1638. At least none are mentioned in the sources. This is reflected in indecision that the Finnish American planners of the 1937 Delaware celebration underwent over the question of whether to celebrate with the Swedes in 1938 or wait for a few years. A Finnish celebration several years later would have been more accurate since by then the New Sweden settlement would certainly have included Finns.

The recruiting of soldiers, officials and settlers for New Sweden was a difficult task at the beginning of the 1640s and thus, already in 1640 the Swedish government made plans to sentence Finns for deportation to New Sweden. These were Finns living in the forests of the Swedish countryside who had earned a bad reputation for their burnbeating methods of deforestation. In 1640 at least four Värmland Finns, who had been sentenced to military duty for burnbeating, petitioned for deportation to New Sweden. Their request was approved and the Crown decided to round up even more of the Finnish burnbeaters. At this point, the government also found some Forest Finns who volunteered to go.

In 1643 the Governors of several Swedish provinces received orders from the Crown to imprison burnbeating Finns for deportation to New Sweden. This action apparently brought additional Värmland Finns to New Sweden. At the same time, some petty thieves from prisons in Finland were also sent to the colony. This forced migration could not have been very extensive, since the population of New Sweden in 1647 still numbered under 200 and the settlers formed a very small part of this number. The majority were still soldiers and civil servants.

In time, forced migration was no longer necessary, for at the end of the 1640s a veritable "America fever" spread among the Värmland Finns. Thus, in 1649 Matts Erickson of Värmland wrote to the Swedish Privy Council on behalf of 200 Finns and petitioned to have this group sent to New Sweden. From the Council's records for the same year, it becomes clear that there were close to 300 who desired to emigrate. A few, perhaps a tenth of the applicants, succeeded in sailing with the ninth expedition, but very few of this group arrived at their intended destination. There are no existing details about the composition of the large group which arrived in New Sweden in the spring of 1654. Since we know that recruitment work for this expedition was carried out in the forest regions of Värmland and Dalarna, it is quite likely that the group included Värmland Finns. The recruiter (Sven Skute) came from Kronoby in western Finland.

Of the 105 settlers who arrived in the spring of 1656, we know that at least 92 were of Finnish origin and apparently came from Värmland. As we have already noted, two expeditions arrived in Delaware in 1663. One was made up of 30 Swedish settlers, the other of 32 Finns. The last group to arrive in Delaware (in 1664) was made up entirely of Finns. These settlers who came by way of Norway and Holland, had found out by letter of the possibilities in New Sweden. There are 140 arrivals, both young and old. At least a part of the group's members had come from Värmland.

On the basis of these facts, it seems quite likely that at least half of the settlers in the New Sweden colony were individuals who are identified as Finns in the records of the day. The greatest part of them came from Värmland. There were only a handful of people from Finland itself. In addition, it also seems quite probable that of the permanent settlers in the Delaware River valley, an even greater number were Finns who had gotten into trouble for burnbeating in Värmland's Finnish forests. The soldiers and civic officials in the colony came from elsewhere, notably Sweden, Finland, and even Holland. Of these civil servants and soldiers, the majority returned to the Old World after serving their tours of duty. The Värmland Finns, on the other hand, gave no thought to returning. It is highly probable that up to 3/4ths of Delaware's permanent settlers were people from Sweden's Finnish forests. http://www.genealogia.fi/emi/art/article152e.htm

Gary Corbett
03-28-2016, 06:11 AM
Thanks, that's interesting, and may well be the reason why.

AnnieD
03-29-2016, 04:51 AM

@ Gary,
Do you feel comfortable disclosing if your mother got Finnish results in any modes at 23andMe? By connections, do you just mean matches that indicate some Finnish ancestry?

I am American of at least partial Colonial and mainly British diaspora, and I get a trace Finnish component in all 3 modes at 23andMe. I also get trace Finnish at AncestryDNA vs. noteworthy 5% at FTDNA. However, my ancestors settled primarily in regions with little to no known Finnish migrants. From what I have gleaned thus far from the US census and other studies, most Finnish emigrated far later than other north Europeans and primarily settled in Minnesota or Michigan in USA and Canada, regions that supported farm or forest occupations that Finns were skilled in.

Given your R-U106 haplogroup, I am reminded of a study awhile back that discovered that certain Hinxton samples found in England showed more affinity to Finnish genomes than Iron Age. If your mother has a similar ancient British origin, maybe she has an Anglo-Saxon ancestor with residual AC from an ancient Finnish-like specimen. :) OTOH, the utility of that study would also depend on whether you subscribe to the 500-year time-frame of 23andMe results. However, I have not kept up on the study to determine if it has been disproved.

This article, however, could support having a "real" Finnish ancestor from the original migration in 1600s if AC is within trace to small range:

http://www.genealogia.fi/emi/art/article234e.htm
Finnish Immigrants in the United States Reino Kero
"Finnish emigration to the United States really began in the mid-nineteenth century when the California gold discoveries influenced many Finnish sailors to seek their fortune in the Californian gold country. The American continent indeed had received its first Finnish settlers already in 1638. when Sweden attempted to establish a colony on the east coast of the United States. This, however, remained as quite a modest attempt. Virtually no Finns arrived in America during the next 200 years.

The great Finnish overseas emigration began with the California gold discoveries. It did not end until 1930, when the receiving countries closed their doors nearly completely to immigrants. Emigration was wave-like: peaks, troughs, new peaks and troughs, whose tempo was defined by the economic conditions on the other side of the Atlantic. When America experienced an economic boom, there were many employment opportunities available for immigrants. Great masses of people rolled then to America from Finland as well as from other European countries. Then when the economic conditions declined, emigrating did not seem attractive. Return from America to the "old country" was perhaps greater than the emigrating group. The peak of Finnish emigration was attained in 1902, when over 23,000 Finns left to seek their fortune in North America."

Gary Corbett
04-01-2016, 02:38 PM
Both of my parents show around 25 percent Scandinavian, nothing explicitly says Finnish.
My father sometimes gets these matches. He has good paper back to Normandy, the Angevins, Plantagenets, etc so that's not surprising. All of his known lines for the last several hundred years are British Isles into Virginia and North Carolina, except for one grandpa from Versailles, France.
My mother's ancestry has more holes in it. It is also more varied. She actually shows a higher percentage of Scandinavian, but again, nothing specifically Finnish. She gets more of these matches, the most recent being a man from Finland. My best guess why is because her paternal grandpa was from Germany. His background hasn't been determined.
I get less of this than either parent. I do have a segment of X in common with a man in Iceland.
I think a lot of it must come through my German great grandfather, and evidently with that X segment, my mom's female lines have this too, to some extent.

Volat
04-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Finns have genetic connection to east Europeans and Scandinavians. If your Mum has east or Scandinavian ancestry then she may show proximity to Finns too.