PDA

View Full Version : Family Finder 'revised' algorithm

SC11
02-23-2013, 10:30 PM
Please post your thoughts. Whether you think it's less or more accurate than the original. For me, I have found that I have one match that I connect with through my Grandmother. He is no longer a match with my Grandmother but is still a match with me. This tells me it's less accurate than the original

AJL
02-24-2013, 11:25 PM
My guess is the match is marginal, or your grandmother perhaps had a microdeletion or other somatic mutation, occurring later in life after she conceived your parent. Lab error is also possible though the rates are very low.

SC11
02-28-2013, 04:29 AM
It's strange. He was a match with both my Grandmother and me, but he disappeared as a match with her, but still remained a match with me. His ancestry is from New Mexico, and his surnames are similiar to my Grandmother's surnames, so I know the match is through her. He has no Filipino or German ancestry as far as I know. I was thinking the algorithm was off and the recalculation didn't have him removed from my list or he should've never been removed from my Grandmother's list