PDA

View Full Version : Why Ireland? Process Taking Forever

1/2finn
04-06-2016, 04:09 PM
I ordered my kit on Mar 1st (from Canada) and it took 2 weeks to arrive. Put it back in the mail the same day and it took another 2 weeks to get to Ireland (why Ireland?). They rec'd it Mar 31st and now it is Apr 6th and it hasn't even been sent to the lab. 5 weeks in already and not even being tested. I tested with FTDNA a few years ago and it seemed a much quicker experience - I got the kit quickly and they seemed to receive it back fairly fast (probably because it wasn't going all the way across the world). I am trying to be patient, but it is hard!

Dubhthach
04-06-2016, 04:14 PM
Well AncestryDNA is based in Ireland as far as I know, made a surprising difference for me when it came to submitting my sample, I only live 30 minutes drive from destination!

2 weeks though sounds like some sorta "surface mail" as you'd imagine it should be quicker.

MacUalraig
04-06-2016, 04:17 PM
You pretty much answered your own question. I know they have a European lab for Europeans but I would have thought Canadian kits would go to the US...

1/2finn
04-06-2016, 04:31 PM
I thought it would go back to the states also. Ireland really threw me. Hopefully it goes to the lab this week - I assume like FTDNA they are sent in batches. I'm just venting a little - 5 weeks is a long time.

Dubhthach
04-06-2016, 04:45 PM
Could be worse when I sent my sample to FGC to get my Y-Chromosome sequenced it took over 6 months!, than again I haven't had a need to do any further Y-DNA testing as a result!

1/2finn
04-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Yikes 6 months! Ok, my 5 weeks (so far) doesn't seem so bad. I'll hold off on complaining anymore unless my results take that long.

enmaaii
06-19-2016, 10:00 PM
I got mine in the USA and it went straight to Utah.

kujira692
06-20-2016, 12:11 PM
I'm in Canada and have had my parents tested, and both times they went off to Ireland. This last test, from ordering to receiving results, I think took between two and three months.

1/2finn
06-28-2016, 06:49 AM
I started this thread - update - it took just over 2 months to get my results.

Dubhthach
06-28-2016, 09:02 AM
I started this thread - update - it took just over 2 months to get my results.

Anything interesting in the auld admixture components?

AJL
06-28-2016, 05:31 PM
I think they go through Ireland because of its cheap bulk international postal rates. It may sound inefficient for a Canadian (indeed it is), but there are probably loads more European kits so it probably made more overall sense to the company to use an Irish mailing house.

warwick
06-28-2016, 05:56 PM
I think they go through Ireland because of its cheap bulk international postal rates. It may sound inefficient for a Canadian (indeed it is), but there are probably loads more European kits so it probably made more overall sense to the company to use an Irish mailing house.

Ireland has special tax rates which may account for this.