PDA

View Full Version : my weird wegene.com results

lifeisdandy
04-08-2016, 03:20 AM
My results on wegene.com are very weird. I am an egyptian copt with arabian ancestry

51.12% Asian Other

35.66% Saudis
15.45% Iranians
0.01% Other

40.70% Europe

15.78% Ashkenazim
13.88% Greeks
11.02% Italy Sardinia
0.02% Other

8.18% other which im assuming is african.

MonkeyDLuffy
04-08-2016, 03:25 AM
They make perfect sense for an egyptian. The saudi component is probably the SW asian component which is found among all arabic populations. Note that all European popultions are south european aka from Mediterranean coast, with whom Egypt has relationship that goes thousand years back.

drobbah
04-08-2016, 03:28 AM
Saudi is just SW Asian,I scored 45% Saudi without having any recent Arab ancestry.

AJL
04-08-2016, 03:30 AM
51.12% Asian Other

That part is quite strange. It's as if one of your parents is Egyptian, and the other comes from a mystery country in Asia.

Everything else I can understand because all the other places are populations near you that average out to around Egypt. ("Europe" is a bit misleading -- your European matches are all eastern Mediterranean, which is a fairly distinct group from most of the rest of Europe.)

cgcs
04-08-2016, 03:51 AM
Currently, WeGene use a training dataset which is consisted by samples of 39 different populations. The relationship between user's genome and the 39 different populations is calculated by an admixture algorithm.

According to this model, the percentage can be interpreted as how much of your genome is very similar with the corresponding population. For example, 35.66% Saudis means that 35.66% region of your genome is very similar with typical Saudis.

MonkeyDLuffy
04-08-2016, 04:05 AM
That part is quite strange. It's as if one of your parents is Egyptian, and the other comes from a mystery country in Asia.

Everything else I can understand because all the other places are populations near you that average out to around Egypt. ("Europe" is a bit misleading -- your European matches are all eastern Mediterranean, which is a fairly distinct group from most of the rest of Europe.)

Asia other is a whole group that includes all countries except east asian countries. Saudi or gulf is part of Asian continent. Hence it is under Asia other. For e.g. We south asians got Asia other, which was further divided in South asia, Iranian, uzbek etc.

AJL
04-08-2016, 04:13 AM
Asia other is a whole group that includes all countries except east asian countries. Saudi or gulf is part of Asian continent. Hence it is under Asia other. For e.g. We south asians got Asia other, which was further divided in South asia, Iranian, uzbek etc.

The thing is, "Saudi " and Iranian" are both existing populations and on his list: so I'm not sure what part of Asia he could get any pull toward, unless it means "extremely western Asia," i.e. the Sinai Peninsula. :)

nee4speed111
04-08-2016, 04:16 AM
My results are pretty similar to yours

50.74% Asian Other
34.28% Saudis
16.45% Iranians
0.01% Other

41.59% Europe
14.71% Ashkenazim
14.09% Italy Sardinia
12.78% Greeks
0.01% Other

7.67% Other (African)

MonkeyDLuffy
04-08-2016, 11:40 AM
The thing is, "Saudi " and Iranian" are both existing populations and on his list: so I'm not sure what part of Asia he could get any pull toward, unless it means "extremely western Asia," i.e. the Sinai Peninsula. :)

Maybe it's the ENF dividing between Iranian and Saudi? Or It can be minor CHG as well.

lifeisdandy
04-08-2016, 12:50 PM

50.74% Asian Other
34.28% Saudis
16.45% Iranians
0.01% Other

41.59% Europe
14.71% Ashkenazim
14.09% Italy Sardinia
12.78% Greeks
0.01% Other

7.67% Other (African)

wow your results are pretty much the same as mine... we seem to have a pull towards the middle east though..

lifeisdandy
04-08-2016, 12:54 PM

In 23andme, I cluster directly in between negev bedouins and palestinians and in the near eastern area.. other egyptians i saw cluster mostly in the african area near mozabites.

AJL
04-08-2016, 02:02 PM
In 23andme, I cluster directly in between negev bedouins and palestinians and in the near eastern area.. other egyptians i saw cluster mostly in the african area near mozabites.

So maybe it really does mean "extreme west Asia."

{EDIT}
I just realized I was misreading this. "Asian other" is actually a header that includes Saudi, Iranian, etc.

lifeisdandy
04-08-2016, 02:53 PM
So maybe it really does mean "extreme west Asia."

{EDIT}
I just realized I was misreading this. "Asian other" is actually a header that includes Saudi, Iranian, etc.

copts do seem to appear more near eastern than regular egyptians due to a lack of west african admixture in comparison to their muslim brethren...

10-17-2016, 10:31 AM
Not sure if my results are strange or normal, for a Welsh person, with some known Irish, and possibly little Scottish?

sktibo
10-17-2016, 09:03 PM

Yeah Definitely weird, Spanish as my largest category... I mean, I'm, 0.20% on paper, but this...

10-18-2016, 07:12 AM

Yeah Definitely weird, Spanish as my largest category... I mean, I'm, 0.20% on paper, but this...

"Hola!" Interesting... from your French friend.. lol.. I guess we have to take these results with a pinch of salt, as this site is geared to Chinese Populations. Did you order the living DNA test yet? I am awaiting mine to arrive, that should be interesting I think.

Kiln
10-18-2016, 07:23 AM
Wegenes is junk.

sktibo
10-18-2016, 07:34 AM
"Hola!" Interesting... from your French friend.. lol.. I guess we have to take these results with a pinch of salt, as this site is geared to Chinese Populations. Did you order the living DNA test yet? I am awaiting mine to arrive, that should be interesting I think.

Hola! Haha
Eagerly checking the mail several times a day, but it could be a while yet, I'm all the way over in West Canada

10-18-2016, 07:56 AM
Hola! Haha
Eagerly checking the mail several times a day, but it could be a while yet, I'm all the way over in West Canada

Cool, still waiting for mine too in Germany...:P

crossover
10-19-2016, 05:32 AM
well my great uncle got weird mtdna results from his raw ancestry v2 data

sktibo
10-19-2016, 07:24 AM
Cool, still waiting for mine too in Germany...:P

Good to know you're closer to the England than I am and are waiting for yours too, I'm always irrationally worried that mine won't show up or something.
In defense of Wegenes, I suppose they did a pretty good job of dividing my european ancestry from my native american, 2.00% on paper, so 1.76 "maya" ain't too shabby.

lifeisdandy
10-28-2016, 03:10 PM
I have a question..does the iranian part actually mean I have iranian blood in me at some point in history?>

lifeisdandy
10-28-2016, 03:13 PM

50.74% Asian Other
34.28% Saudis
16.45% Iranians
0.01% Other

41.59% Europe
14.71% Ashkenazim
14.09% Italy Sardinia
12.78% Greeks
0.01% Other

7.67% Other (African)

So from this we can conclude that copts are a mash up of mostly south west asian ancestry, iranian, and southern euro with a dash of african..

Erik
10-28-2016, 07:46 PM
It's not a generally accurate test. According to it, I'm some sort of Iranian-Hungarian mix.

dp
10-28-2016, 08:24 PM
It's not a generally accurate test. According to it, I'm some sort of Iranian-Hungarian mix.
My aunt came back having some Thai ancestry :-)
dp

Anath
12-02-2016, 05:21 AM
Your results look expected for an Egyptian.. i'm still trying to get over mine xD

Mixed
12-06-2016, 12:34 PM
I have a question..does the iranian part actually mean I have iranian blood in me at some point in history?>

To be specific it means your Iranian calculation matches that of those with known Iranian ancestry.

lifeisdandy
12-06-2016, 02:50 PM
To be specific it means your Iranian calculation matches that of those with known Iranian ancestry.

Every single one of these components match Egyptian history with roman invasion, jewish presence, greek invasion, near eastern ancestry, persian invasion etc..

Mixed
12-06-2016, 04:05 PM
Every single one of these components match Egyptian history with roman invasion, jewish presence, greek invasion, near eastern ancestry, persian invasion etc..

A lot of people overlook those simple facts. There is no doubt some of my ancestors were probably raped by the Mongols among others.

Amerijoe
12-06-2016, 04:34 PM
A lot of people overlook those simple facts. There is no doubt some of my ancestors were probably raped by the Mongols among others.

Praise be to the Mongols and others, for without their hard work and effort you would not be here. I would venture to say most ancestral lines have a sprinkling of rape, NPEs, forbidden matings somewhere in the pile. Additional factors that must be considered if your results seem a little wonky. I can personally attest to this issue because I posses a high degree of wonk. Makes it more interesting and elevates the challenge for sure. :rolleyes:

star rider
12-06-2016, 11:18 PM
Praise be to the Mongols and others, for without their hard work and effort you would not be here. I would venture to say most ancestral lines have a sprinkling of rape, NPEs, forbidden matings somewhere in the pile. Additional factors that must be considered if your results seem a little wonky. I can personally attest to this issue because I posses a high degree of wonk. Makes it more interesting and elevates the challenge for sure. :rolleyes:

I needed a good laugh today.. Thank you