PDA

View Full Version : no more Neolithic Middle Eastern migration in Euro ref. pops. in Geno 2.0 Next Gen?

leo76
04-09-2016, 03:52 AM
So I've noticed that most of the European reference populations for Geno 2.0 Next Generation (https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/reference-populations-next-gen/) (England, Scotland, Denmark, France, Germany, etc) now seem to completely lack the previous categories of "Mediterranean" and "Southwest Asian" that Geno 2.0 First Gen had, which reflected the multiple waves of Neolithic migration of agriculturalists from the Near East into Europe, and which virtually any Geno testee of primarily European descent displayed to significant degrees (usually at least 10% each, often much more). In my case with Geno 2.0 First Gen, I showed 38% Mediterranean, and 17% Southwest Asian. And I'm lily-white, northwest-European.

Today I received my Geno 2.0 Next Gen results, and my regional ancestry was shown as 98% European (Britain, Scandinavia, Western and Central Europe), and 2% Arabian. This came as a shock. Not because I wasn't expecting Neolithic Eastern influence--in fact, I was--but because Nat Geno no longer even lists any Near Eastern, Middle Eastern, or West Asian components in their European reference populations.

So where the hell is this 2% Arabian DNA coming from? I'm thinking it's just that with the more highly accurate chip, Nat Geno no longer even counts those regional proportions in the European reference populations because on average they fall below 2%. I just happened to be a statistical blip above the 2% cutoff, which is why Middle Eastern results appeared for me.

I think. :P