PDA

View Full Version : AncestryDNA vs 23&me vs Family Finder

Dante
04-17-2016, 10:00 AM
I am curious if anyone has done AncestryDNA and at least one, or both, of the other tests.

The reason why I ask is because I've done 23&me - the relatives are overwhelmingly American "colonists" and though interesting sort of irrelevant for the side I am looking for. I know most of my colonist side either through my own research or relatives' research.

Given that the closest Big Y and general Y matches on FTDNA are likewise American I've been hesitating with their Family Finder given as I have read their clients are likewise widely American.

However, I think AncestryDNA has a slightly broader base. At least it has been mentioned a few times on a couple - if more tabloid like - British newspapers about testing.

So my question.

Has anyone done AncestryDNA and one of the others and have you found any considerable amount / increase of NON Colonist relatives ... e.g. European, British, etc.

leonardo
04-17-2016, 01:02 PM
I am curious if anyone has done AncestryDNA and at least one, or both, of the other tests.

The reason why I ask is because I've done 23&me - the relatives are overwhelmingly American "colonists" and though interesting sort of irrelevant for the side I am looking for. I know most of my colonist side either through my own research or relatives' research.

Given that the closest Big Y and general Y matches on FTDNA are likewise American I've been hesitating with their Family Finder given as I have read their clients are likewise widely American.

However, I think AncestryDNA has a slightly broader base. At least it has been mentioned a few times on a couple - if more tabloid like - British newspapers about testing.

So my question.

Has anyone done AncestryDNA and one of the others and have you found any considerable amount / increase of NON Colonist relatives ... e.g. European, British, etc.

I have Colonist ancestry on my mother's side, but my father's side is more recent European ancestry. I have tested with FTDNA, 23andMe and Ancestry DNA. My 23andMe matches are few anymore. FTDNA actually has the most European testers with whom I share a match. However, I have had the most success with Ancestry DNA. Ancestry DNA, to my knowledge, only receives tests from U.S., Canada, U.K. and Ireland. Still, I am getting much more information about my recent European ancestry from Ancestry DNA. Keep in mind, if your European ancestors came here from around 1870-1915, you are likely 4 or 5 generations removed from Europe. So, a European relative would be at the end of what autosomal tests can achieve with some certainty. The family trees at Ancestry DNA have been the difference. Many have them. I can go back on their family tree and find connections at 4 and 5 generations in a way I can seldom do at 23andMe and usually can't do at FTDNA.

AJL
04-17-2016, 03:32 PM

I've done all three. I have only a few colonial US lines at the level of third great-grandparents, which arrived in the 17th/18th centuries. The rest of my ancestors came directly to Canada.

In my case Ancestry definitely gives the largest proportion of US relatives, with the least number of identifiable shared ancestors. This is followed by FTDNA (but where I also have some UK and German relatives), and the most European-based is 23andme (where I have UK, Irish, French, Belgian, and Dutch relatives, as well as a Jamaican cousin traceable to an English common ancestor).

Until recently Ancestry only sold in the US. But the other side of the story is that 23andme has slowed down in sales, while Ancestry is picking up steam. FTDNA seems to be chugging along with no massive changes in sales rate, since a lot of Ancestry testers are also transferring there.

Unfortunately FTDNA does not accept the latest chip version of 23andme for transfer, or I would suggest testing there then transferring to Family Finder, then adding Ancestry later once their international database is bigger. I suspect Ancestry will eventually be more useful but wherever you test you may end up with a phenomenon like this.

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?6827-Are-Welsh-people-a-restricted-gene-pool-autosomally

leonardo
04-17-2016, 05:57 PM
I've done all three. I have only a few colonial US lines at the level of third great-grandparents, which arrived in the 17th/18th centuries. The rest of my ancestors came directly to Canada.

In my case Ancestry definitely gives the largest proportion of US relatives, with the least number of identifiable shared ancestors. This is followed by FTDNA (but where I also have some UK and German relatives), and the most European-based is 23andme (where I have UK, Irish, French, Belgian, and Dutch relatives, as well as a Jamaican cousin traceable to an English common ancestor).

Until recently Ancestry only sold in the US. But the other side of the story is that 23andme has slowed down in sales, while Ancestry is picking up steam. FTDNA seems to be chugging along with no massive changes in sales rate, since a lot of Ancestry testers are also transferring there.

Unfortunately FTDNA does not accept the latest chip version of 23andme for transfer, or I would suggest testing there then transferring to Family Finder, then adding Ancestry later once their international database is bigger. I suspect Ancestry will eventually be more useful but wherever you test you may end up with a phenomenon like this.

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?6827-Are-Welsh-people-a-restricted-gene-pool-autosomally

Good observations, AJL. For me, the challenge is, I don't know how many European testers I have through 23andMe, due to the clandestine nature of their sharing options.

1/2finn
06-06-2016, 05:11 PM
My experience is that as a non-American, FTDNA is the better choice. I have done both Ancestry and FTDNA. My mother was Finnish, but born in Canada, with other ancestors immigrating to Canada. I have no knowledge of my birth father, but DNA suggests he was 1/2 Scandinavian and 1/2 British Isles. I have no known American relatives so my matches with Ancestry are about a 1/4 of the amount of matches I have with FTDNA. My FTDNA matches are overwhelmingly Finnish and Scandinavian with very few English sounding names, and my matches with Ancestry are exactly the opposite.

MacUalraig
06-06-2016, 06:29 PM
My experience is that as a non-American, FTDNA is the better choice. I have done both Ancestry and FTDNA. My mother was Finnish, but born in Canada, with other ancestors immigrating to Canada. I have no knowledge of my birth father, but DNA suggests he was 1/2 Scandinavian and 1/2 British Isles. I have no known American relatives so my matches with Ancestry are about a 1/4 of the amount of matches I have with FTDNA. My FTDNA matches are overwhelmingly Finnish and Scandinavian with very few English sounding names, and my matches with Ancestry are exactly the opposite.

The Ancestry database has to catch up after each local rollout, I am seeing quite a few English and Scottish resident matches since the launch last year. So presumably Scandinavians will follow too now its on sale there.

aistea
06-14-2016, 10:52 PM
I did tests with all companies. So far I've gotten results back from Ancestry and 23andme.

To my knowledge 23andme gave a far more precise prediction of my origins. I feel like Ancestry gives a too high Irish/British percentage.