PDA

View Full Version : Are people still getting new matches?

Luis
04-17-2016, 07:33 PM
I used to have new Ancestry matches every day, at least a few, sometimes more, however, for the past three days I have not seen any new matches, which is unusual. I'm wondering if this due to Ancestry's announced new methodology for determining relevant matches. As far as I know, they have not started doing this yet, but maybe they are freezing their DNA matches until then?

leonardo
04-19-2016, 11:40 AM
I have not had any for awhile too. Then I read this blog from Roberta Estes this morning: https://dna-explained.com/. It appears appears that AncestryDNA is updating their matching parameters and rolling this updated version out soon. I imagine that is why we haven't seen any new matches recently.

vettor
04-19-2016, 07:27 PM
I have not had any for awhile too. Then I read this blog from Roberta Estes this morning: https://dna-explained.com/. It appears appears that AncestryDNA is updating their matching parameters and rolling this updated version out soon. I imagine that is why we haven't seen any new matches recently.

From what I heard, there will be less matches as Ancestry make a system where tested DNA people with "family trees" will be matched with other DNA tested people with family trees.
So, you could be matched today and not matched tomorrow due to the DNA ................something like wikitree started last month.

leonardo
04-19-2016, 10:55 PM
From what I heard, there will be less matches as Ancestry make a system where tested DNA people with "family trees" will be matched with other DNA tested people with family trees.
So, you could be matched today and not matched tomorrow due to the DNA ................something like wikitree started last month.

I am totally confused.:\

rock hunter
04-19-2016, 11:51 PM
I would wager it also has something to do more with the speed that their lab works as well as the number of kits sold in a given period , if a sale was going on for example. I constantly get mtDNA matches but have yet to get one Y match ever.

Luis
04-20-2016, 01:15 AM
No new matches in at least five days. I guess it's related to their update. They are introducing some changes to the way they match DNA relatives.

Baltimore1937
04-24-2016, 05:45 AM
I haven't seen any new matches lately either.

Peccavi
04-24-2016, 04:28 PM
I have never had any new matches (2 years old) despite signing up and testing for a SNP pack which pushed my DNA downstream by three rungs (6 months ago). Only have five matches, one 3 mutations away (and Venezuelan - I am Irish ancestry!) and rest 7 mutations, all Irish - frankly a complete dead loss.

Baltimore1937
05-04-2016, 04:43 AM
Today Ancestry DNA kicked in with my new lists. I lost a few, and gained others. From the list of the deleted ones, I don't recognize those names anyway. It looks like an improvement, assuming the matches are now more accurate.

star rider
05-05-2016, 06:47 PM
mine added a DNA circle.. prior I had ZERO DNA Circles.

tho I killed my membership and am not certain what a 'DNA Circle ' is....:\

shazou
05-06-2016, 03:56 AM
Here's their new matching white paper: http://dna.ancestry.com/resource/whitePaper/AncestryDNA-Matching-White-Paper.pdf

..I got some interesting new matches, but my dna circles remained at zero.

firemonkey
05-06-2016, 05:00 AM
Have now got one dna circle.4th-6th cousin matches went from 86 to 33. Total matches went from 103 pages to 106 pages.

Stephen1986
05-21-2016, 08:12 PM
I all of a sudden have 21 NADS, I think all of them appeared in the last day or so.

leonardo
05-21-2016, 09:56 PM
On May 3rd I received a boatload, including a 3rd cousin on my unknown grandfather's side with a match of 116cM over multiple sites. Unfortunately, there is no family tree and the person has not responded to my messages. This is just my luck. Oh well, I guess I can always hope for a response or another similar match.

Stephen1986
07-01-2016, 10:55 AM
My NADs dropped down to 2, so I think the remaining ones are probably worth researching.

I get a steady stream of new matches regularly - one of my newer ones is a bit intriguing. She shares 6.2cM with me, her ethnicity estimate shares only small amounts of the same components as myself, and her ancestry appears to be Croatian and Hungarian (although her tree only contains a few people) whilst she herself is the first of her family to not be born in Croatia from what little information is given. I'm not sure where the link would be there. Looking at other trees containing her mother, there might also be Polish from what was once Prussia so if that's accurate I think that's the link with a relative of mine moving there for some reason as many British/Irish people did.

firemonkey
07-01-2016, 11:24 AM
What are NADs? Ok I see. 2 NADS husband and wife. A check of the matches for the surname traces back to Antrim,Ireland from the early 18th century . Most matches are moderate with 6.0-7.3 cMs but there is one match that is good that is 17.5 cMs. With that one all the Mckelvey matches are born USA but the earliest match is virtually the same as one that has the parents born in Ireland(death date differs by a year). My mother had paternal ancestors from Ireland.

Match pages have gone up to 120.

Stephen1986
07-01-2016, 11:44 AM
New Ancestor Discoveries - possible ancestors/relatives who aren't in your tree but are found in trees of your matches.