PDA

View Full Version : Where does AncestryDNA get its regional reference population data?

leo76
04-18-2016, 02:07 AM
I've tested with Geno 2.0 twice (old and new versions), and am thinking about doing AncestryDNA. Before I do, though, I have a question:

Where does AncestryDNA get their reference population data for regional admixture breakdowns?

The Genographic Project has been in operation in the field for more than a decade all around the world, collecting samples from among the specific reference populations. So where is Ancestry getting its global reference DNA? Are they compiling it from self-reported ethnicity from Ancestry members? Did they compile the data from a vast body of published research? Are they working with an outside firm?

Even though they have twice the number of project participants as Geno 2.0, I'd like to know what their underlying methodology is. And their website FAQ is pretty vague on this.

Thanks.

Carloso972
04-18-2016, 06:10 PM

Hello, Here's an example of my results from Ancestry.com.
As you can see, the specific reference is not accurate : NIGERIA but which population? Yoruba, Esan?

The same thing for Europe.

MacUalraig
04-18-2016, 06:36 PM
I've tested with Geno 2.0 twice (old and new versions), and am thinking about doing AncestryDNA. Before I do, though, I have a question:

Where does AncestryDNA get their reference population data for regional admixture breakdowns?

The Genographic Project has been in operation in the field for more than a decade all around the world, collecting samples from among the specific reference populations. So where is Ancestry getting its global reference DNA? Are they compiling it from self-reported ethnicity from Ancestry members? Did they compile the data from a vast body of published research? Are they working with an outside firm?

Even though they have twice the number of project participants as Geno 2.0, I'd like to know what their underlying methodology is. And their website FAQ is pretty vague on this.

Thanks.

They have discussed this in their White paper although it doesn't have the level of detail most people here would like.

http://dna.ancestry.com/resource/whitePaper/AncestryDNA-Ethnicity-White-Paper