PDA

View Full Version : Big Y vs 111 Markers - FTDNA

Dante
04-19-2016, 09:06 AM
Just curious as got Big Y results yesterday.

Why are the "relatives" in the 111 markers not even present in the Big Y results.

Which one should be considered more accurate for relatedness - Big Y matches or 111 Markers?

And I know you can tell relatedness to a basic degree with the 111 Markers given genetic distance - is there any way to make a prediction through the Big Y. I take it the larger the number of shared SNPs, the smaller the less shared would equal closer relation but "how" close.

MacUalraig
04-19-2016, 09:28 AM
Your terminal SNP is the best guide to relatedness. The BigY matching system though is somewhat confusing. You can use the lowest entries in the Shared Novel Variants dropdown list. See who matches them. There is a subclade filter tool but it lags behind so not so helpful.

In time lower level SNPs get added to their internal tree and can trickle down to be displayed on your STR matching page. Still a long way to go before they just do SNP matching though.

Dante
04-19-2016, 12:03 PM
Okay that makes sense. Yeah and I figured it still has a ways to go for accuracy.

Thing is, is when checking the different research groups into the terminal SNP & haplogroup I only share a handful of confirmed Y SNPs with this 111 Marker "relative". Not sure if this is because they haven't tested as many SNPs via FTDNA or because of the very American client base and thus there is not a lot of DNA "relatives" to give more accurate relatedness.

rms2
04-19-2016, 06:49 PM
Just curious as got Big Y results yesterday.

Why are the "relatives" in the 111 markers not even present in the Big Y results.
. . .

Not everyone who has 111 str markers has done the Big Y test. In fact, only one of my 111-marker matches has, and he is my closest Big Y match.

No doubt your closest 111-marker matches would also be your closest Big Y matches were they to order the Big Y test.

Dante
04-19-2016, 08:07 PM
Not everyone who has 111 str markers has done the Big Y test. In fact, only one of my 111-marker matches has, and he is my closest Big Y match.

No doubt your closest 111-marker matches would also be your closest Big Y matches were they to order the Big Y test.

See that's the thing & I'll have to double check our back & forth communication but pretty sure they ordered the Big Y themselves. Due to the lack of 111 marker matches I was balking at the idea of the Big Y . The 111 marker "relative" was pressuring to get it done ... maybe I misunderstood the concept that we'd [I]both do it.