PDA

View Full Version : FTDNA keeps adding new SNPs in L2 family tree

Osiris
04-21-2016, 08:53 PM
I was ecstatic when they added BY3493 and brought me into a group with a handful of other families and we were only connected about 4500 years ago. But on their SNP tree I see they've now added a node with BY4234, BY4240, A8611 and BY4242. The last two SNPs seem like they're only a few centuries as old as a common ancestor born about 1731 likely didn't have A8611 and BY4242. I'm stunned that they're putting these one their tree when the Big Y kit only came in about a month ago. Are they doing this because I have 3 Big Y tests for that 1731 ancestor? Those last two SNPs seem to be about as terminal as a SNP can get because they actually occurred after the surname of our common ancestor came into existence.

Is this also happening elsewhere within the tree?

dtodd
06-21-2016, 03:35 AM
Dear Osiris

I am also BY3493......freshly tested

David

Osiris
06-21-2016, 07:27 PM
Congratulations and welcome to this small corner of the male tree! I started this thread because I was worried that my Big Ys had messed up the tree but I'm more relaxed about it now.

You certainly seem to have a very different set of SNPs then the others in the group which is good it should make any close matches to you leap out which is good. Must put our connection way back into the past.

All the members of BY4242 (including 1 not in the U152 project) share a common ancestor b in the 1730s in Germany.

Then the common ancestor between BY4242, your line and the Morisette family is 5 SNPs after L2. Morisette looks French. Where does your line originate?

I wonder if that would make our ancestors part of the Celtic tribes 3000 years ago?

dtodd
06-22-2016, 06:10 AM
I guess it would!
I am a novice in this space but know (from paper records) my line existed in and around Forfar, Scotland back as far as 1720 and probably 1 generation before.....no other records seem to exist

Will be interesting to see if any other matches on our little branch show up.........

D