PDA

View Full Version : Oxidative Stress

apophis99942
03-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Good find. What is meant by oxidation stress, though?

DMXX
03-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Good find. What is meant by oxidation stress, though?

The body has a set mechanism in place of handling free radicals which lead to damage at a cellular level. When the balance between the two is interfered with and there are more free radicals floating around unchecked, this is termed "oxidation stress".

apophis99942
03-04-2013, 12:00 AM
Oxidative stress seems to do more harm than good. Yet it can kill pathogens (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2092448/) and slow aging (http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucbtdag/Gems_2008.pdf)?

AJL
03-04-2013, 12:26 AM
Too many free radicals may create an environment in which cancer can thrive and can speed up aging (by eroding teomeres, for example). But I think the jury's still out on that, DMXX?

DMXX
03-04-2013, 02:01 AM
This is a good discussion but deviates a lot from Scarlet Ibis' thread so it is now split.

Funnily enough, in my medical training so far, I haven't seen very much crossover between the genetics and medical worlds, particularly in the area of oxidative stress causing DNA damage.

What we have been taught is carcinogenesis (formation of cancerous tissue) happens through four factors; chemical (cigarette smoking), radiation (UV), viral (HPV infection) and inherited factors (conditions like neurofibromatosis). The body has several failure preventative measures for handling an error in the cell cycle, like the p53 tumour suppressor gene.

I suppose (don't quote me on this!) oxidative stress occupies a strange middle territory between carcinogenesis factors and the genetic mechanisms of carcinogenesis. Linking it back to Scarlet's post, poor sleep reportedly alters gene expression in the body, but I am uncertain whether this solely accounts for the increased oxidative stress or there's an additional mechanism which causes it on the side.

DocMartin
03-05-2013, 03:39 AM
I have published a blog recently on this subject. My interest developed after having severe tinnitus as a residual of an autoimmune attack on my hearing and balance back when I was in my doctoral program 15 years ago. I was introduced to an over the counter antioxidant product that upon tacking this product for two weeks, my tinnitus of many years was completely gone. Please see my website for my full story @ docmartin.us
My feeling is there is a combination of events that occur. As we age our body can not produce the levels of natural antioxidants and thus providing a proper defense. I think our system at some point becomes overwhelmed fighting free radicals that it can't fight other diseases. There are some leading cell researchers that now believe most all diseases have origin from free radical damage. We know that at the very least over 400 are oxidative stress related.
In my case (having a research background) I can say with a high degree of certainty that the reduction of free radicals was the reason for the reversal of a long standing severe tinnitus. I conducted a single subject study, where I went off this product and within three weeks my tinnitus was back (with dizziness and light hearing loss). After a few days like this I went on 500 mg vitamin C and again within two weeks the tinnitus was gone again. I went off the vitamin C and after three weeks the symptoms were back. I went back on the herbal indirect antioxidant and found that in two weeks the tinnitus was gone for the third time.
So what is the relationship? My suspect would be that the severe tinnitus is a symptom of an underlying autoimmune disorder. Thus I suspect I run higher than normal in levels of free radicals. The reduction of free radicals provides my system to produce those needed immune fighting enzymes needed to keep my body at a better level chemically speaking. Please take a look at my site to learn a bit about this product. docmartin.us

Loki
12-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Drugs like cocaine cause heavy oxidative stress, from what I've heard.