PDA

View Full Version : "Cypriot" J1-P58 Actually from Lesbos.

OldAl
05-11-2016, 11:00 PM
Just discovered (literally less than half an hour ago) that my direct paternal line goes to Lesbos, not Cyprus. There was a move to Cyprus and some surname changes. More information with surnames and all will be provided when it's all written down!

OldAl
05-12-2016, 03:23 AM
Surname was originally Pateras.

wmehar
05-12-2016, 03:48 PM

Pateras as in Dad or Father? Could be like Pappas, where it's clergy/church type name.

vettor
05-12-2016, 07:25 PM

There are lots of Patera households in Italy..........mainly NW-Italy and the heel of Italy.
Lesbos was a colony in the past of the Republic of Genoa in NW-Italy.

The Heel of Italy supplied most of north-italy with wheat in the middle-ages.........maybe there was migration from these two points as well

OldAl
05-20-2016, 09:10 PM
Pateras as in Dad or Father? Could be like Pappas, where it's clergy/church type name.

Not sure about the origin of Pateras, but there was a change to something like Protopapas down the line, and it was related to the Greek Orthodox Church.

wmehar
05-23-2016, 05:18 PM
Not sure about the origin of Pateras, but there was a change to something like Protopapas down the line, and it was related to the Greek Orthodox Church.

That would make perfect sense. I wonder why the change. Proto means original, and pappas as you know is priest.

Kanenas
05-23-2016, 08:01 PM

Probably 'Pateras' just meant priest. While 'Protopapas' is synonymous with the following words 'prothiereas', 'protopresbyteros' and the meaning was 'first priest'. 'Presbyters' are the priests.
In English I would translate it 'Archpriest'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archpriest#In_Byzantine_Christianity