PDA

View Full Version : Customer Testing Begins on New AncestryDNA Chip

shazou
05-13-2016, 11:08 AM
http://blogs.ancestry.com/techroots/customer-testing-begins-on-new-ancestrydna-chip/

Posted by Ancestry Team on May 12, 2016 in DNA

The science and technology powering the AncestryDNA test, which helps people better understand themselves and where they come from, is always evolving. We are constantly seeking new and better ways to provide insights into your past and to help you uncover the stories and relationships that have come together to make you who you are. As part of that focus on continual improvement, starting next week, we will begin to use a new DNA test chip for the AncestryDNA test.

The new chip, with approximately 700,000 DNA markers, has been designed to help us refine our ability to provide insight into your ethnic and geographic origins and your familyís genetic history. In the four years since we launched AncestryDNA, we have learned that some markers, also known as SNPs, in DNA are better indicators of ethnic and geographic origins than others, so we have created this new chip to focus on those signals and enable further refinements to the results. This will provide further improvements to the ethnicity results we provide. For example, many of the markers that were picked for the new chip were selected because they provide greater insight into non-European populations. In addition, they strengthen our ability to provide matches to cousins who have also taken an AncestryDNA test. Altogether, the changes we have made to the new chip will enable us to provide more of the ethnicity and family story insights you have come to expect from us.

The new chip also includes some markers associated with health. Although we donít currently offer health or diagnostic products to our customers, DNA data is used to improve our products and develop new ones, and for customers who have explicitly agreed, in external research to further understand human history and improve human health. We continue to explore the possibility of developing health products in the future, and may do so with proper regulatory and legal approval.

The data derived from this new chip is backward compatible with the tests that were done on the prior chip. This means that features like DNA cousin matching will work seamlessly for all our customers. It also means that if youíve already taken an AncestryDNA test, you donít need to take a new test for the existing features of our service to continue to work.

We are excited to be taking this step with AncestryDNA. We are confident that it will help us continue to refine the value we provide to our customers, offering more insights into the history of your families and connecting you with relatives you never knew before. Weíre also excited by the possibilities it opens up for new products in the future.

cyna
05-13-2016, 06:19 PM
Will this require a re-test with a new kit? If there is imperfect overlap with the previous version, then I could see problems arising.

shazou
05-14-2016, 07:35 AM
Will this require a re-test with a new kit? If there is imperfect overlap with the previous version, then I could see problems arising.
From what I heard it won't require a re-test. Current customers will still receive results for the upcoming ethnicity estimate update supposedly to happen by this year. Only the newest of the newest customers who haven't submitted their saliva sample yet will be on the new chip.

Cofgene
05-14-2016, 12:36 PM
The real question is what technology platform are they settling on for this generation of work. Are they moving to Infinium iSelect HD and HTS Custom Genotyping BeadChips to get the customization and current supported hardware? If they are doing this level of customization one would hope they could improve the y and mtDNA testing components for mid-level resolution of the haplogroup designation.

dp
05-14-2016, 04:12 PM
I didn't know they were changing chipsets. I have two tests in the lab. One was received last week, one this week. I hope they end up on the same test, and that they will be compatible with FTDNA's Autosomal Transfer routine.
dp :-)

C J Wyatt III
05-14-2016, 04:17 PM
The real question is what technology platform are they settling on for this generation of work. Are they moving to Infinium iSelect HD and HTS Custom Genotyping BeadChips to get the customization and current supported hardware? If they are doing this level of customization one would hope they could improve the y and mtDNA testing components for mid-level resolution of the haplogroup designation.

Is AncestryDNA intending to blow FTDNA out of the water?

It still might not have enough to compete with the full blown Y-DNA and mtDNA DNA test offered by FTDNA, but the info received with the new AncestryDNA test might be enough for most people.

JackWyatt

cyna
05-15-2016, 03:19 AM
"Weíre not reprocessing customer DNA samples at this time as we have ensured that data from the old and new chips are compatible so that services like DNA matching and ethnicity estimates will continue to function for all AncestryDNA customers. So, current customers donít need to do a thing. If we develop a new service that is only available through the new chip, we will let our customers know so that they can determine whether or not they wish to take a new test at that time."

Ominous

Ann Turner
06-04-2016, 04:42 PM
People have recently been reporting results from the new chip. There may be a compatibility problem uploading these results to FTDNA, according to some posts on their forum.

I was especially interested in the new SNPs for mtDNA, and a kind person sent me a list. There are 195, all in the coding region. They're not useful for haplogroups and many appear to be selected for their medical significance.

reader
06-05-2016, 02:27 AM
Is any information available on new Y SNPs?

dp
06-08-2016, 05:21 PM
I just uploaded an hot off the presses Ancestry kit to GEDmatch. It worked fine.

People have recently been reporting results from the new chip. There may be a compatibility problem uploading these results to FTDNA, according to some posts on their forum.

I was especially interested in the new SNPs for mtDNA, and a kind person sent me a list. There are 195, all in the coding region. They're not useful for haplogroups and many appear to be selected for their medical significance.

Ann Turner
06-16-2016, 02:30 PM
I just uploaded an hot off the presses Ancestry kit to GEDmatch. It worked fine.
I'm collecting mtDNA data. I've seen just a couple of results, and I'm concerned about the base-calling. If anyone would like to send me the raw data for the 195 SNPs (chromosome "26"), I could do some more comparisons. My e-mail is [email protected]

dp
06-16-2016, 06:24 PM
I'm collecting mtDNA data. I've seen just a couple of results, and I'm concerned about the base-calling. If anyone would like to send me the raw data for the 195 SNPs (chromosome "26"), I could do some more comparisons. My e-mail is [email protected]
I'll see if I can get informed consent from one of the donors.

KCW
06-17-2016, 12:04 PM
Is it possible to request an upgrade to the new chip? I have an elderly relative I would like to test on the new chip. Would be happy to pay for a new test. Is this possible? Does anyone know?

Ann Turner
06-17-2016, 01:20 PM
I have one more dataset, and there do appear to be a few SNPs that are consistently miscalled. I'd advise not using the mtDNA SNPs for the time being.