PDA

View Full Version : Dad's Geno 2 results

soulblighter
03-06-2013, 11:33 PM
South Indian Iyer ancestry:

Scarlet Ibis
04-28-2013, 03:10 AM
What do you think about his results? Would you say it was worth the money?

soulblighter
05-25-2013, 06:50 PM
For people who are starting out (especially males), I think it is definitely worth.
It is a deep-clade test for y-DNA, an indicator of mtDNA and the SNPs tested are good enough for ancestry typing(as www.harappadna.com demonstrates).
For me, it was especially useful in getting to know my dad's maternal side.

rockman
06-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Hi Soulblighter

Amazing, your father's results are very similar to my own. My two populations given by Geno 2.0 are Northern Caucasian and South Indian. Is your dad purely Iyer or is he mixed? Also is North East Asian very common in South India (I read that Iyer is from South India, correct me if I'm wrong)? I would think it would be common in Eastern India (Manipur, Mizoram etc).

soulblighter
06-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Hi Soulblighter

Amazing, your father's results are very similar to my own. My two populations given by Geno 2.0 are Northern Caucasian and South Indian. Is your dad purely Iyer or is he mixed? Also is North East Asian very common in South India (I read that Iyer is from South India, correct me if I'm wrong)? I would think it would be common in Eastern India (Manipur, Mizoram etc).

As far as I know, all my family heritage belongs to Iyers. Yes Iyers are from South India (my dad's family is from the Thiruvarur/Tanjore district) No known admixtures otherwise.
We belong to the 'Vadama' subgrouping among Iyers, which means 'Northern people' in Tamil. What the 'North' refers to is not clear.

rockman
06-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Has there been more studies on Iyer genetics particularly Vadama? Given your fathers heavier mix of Med, N. Euro and NE Asian compared to the average of South India I would guess there might be some association with migration from the north.

soulblighter
11-21-2014, 02:40 AM
Has there been more studies on Iyer genetics particularly Vadama? Given your fathers heavier mix of Med, N. Euro and NE Asian compared to the average of South India I would guess there might be some association with migration from the north.

Yes, there have been some publications. The Y-DNA profile is more than 50% R1a(Z2123 mostly).
mtDNA is mostly M,U,R and HV.
But no clear evidence of migration from the north.

sansri
08-25-2015, 05:00 AM
My results in the project were very similar to your dad's. I had 2% North East Asian too...My Northern European was 6% and South East asian was 23%