PDA

View Full Version : Is Irish mitochondrial DNA close to that of the Scots, English, and Welsh?

fridurich
05-15-2016, 07:40 AM
I don't know how far mitochondrial DNA testing has come now. I know that years ago, when Y-DNA testing was in it's infancy, some erroneous conclusions were made about how people were classified and/or who they were more closely related to because they didn't have all the new technology, snps, etc. that we have now.

So, has mitochondrial DNA testing become high enough resolution that we can tell if mitochondria DNA wise the Irish are close to the Scots, English, and Welsh?

If so, are the Irish close to these groups just looking at MTDNA?

Thanks for any help in advance!!

GogMagog
05-15-2016, 08:31 AM
All Irish mtDNA derives from Europe as does England, Wales, Scotland.

Baltimore1937
05-15-2016, 08:37 AM
Changing the subject a wee mite and shifting to autosomal results over at Ancestry DNA, they separate Irish/Welsh/Gaelic-Scotch from Great Britain. They gave me, for example, 17% Irish (includes Welsh and Scotch) and 14% Great Britain. As for my U5b2b2, it looks to be from England. But there are quite a few U5 HVR1 from Ireland at FTDNA.

A Norfolk L-M20
05-15-2016, 11:16 AM
23andMe reports mine as H6a1. mthap analyser and WeGene report it as best match to H6a1a8. I'm East Anglian. My paper record of my maternal line goes back to the 1740's with Generation 9 - and it was only four miles then, from where I live in East Anglia (Norfolk) today.

Someone did suggest that it might have arrived here with the Anglo-Saxon immigration during the 5th-6th Centuries AD. However, when I checked over the H6 map at ftDNA, I see more H6a1a (including the few H6a1a8) records in Ireland, wales, and western Britain, than I do here in Eastern England.

Based on that tiny underrepresented evidence, my guess is that my haplogroup has been in Ireland and the British isles for a very long time. As GogMagog suggests, from Europe. That is not to say that it couldn't have been carried into my line by an Anglo-Saxon immigrant ancestor - but it looks to me, as it was already here in other families that descended from local prehistoric populations.

H6a1b has been found in ancient Yamna DNA. Therefore, many people are now suggesting that it arrived into NW Europe from the Eurasian Steppes, during the Early Bronze Age.

In answer to your question - can you now see how Irish mtDNA can be shared across a much wider area?

fridurich
05-17-2016, 04:25 AM
Changing the subject a wee mite and shifting to autosomal results over at Ancestry DNA, they separate Irish/Welsh/Gaelic-Scotch from Great Britain. They gave me, for example, 17% Irish (includes Welsh and Scotch) and 14% Great Britain. As for my U5b2b2, it looks to be from England. But there are quite a few U5 HVR1 from Ireland at FTDNA.

Thanks. Ancestry DNA shows me to be 18 percent Irish and 77 percent British. I have Irish, Ulster Scot, Scottish, Welsh, English, German, and Swiss ancestry.

fridurich
05-17-2016, 05:07 AM
23andMe reports mine as H6a1. mthap analyser and WeGene report it as best match to H6a1a8. I'm East Anglian. My paper record of my maternal line goes back to the 1740's with Generation 9 - and it was only four miles then, from where I live in East Anglia (Norfolk) today.

Someone did suggest that it might have arrived here with the Anglo-Saxon immigration during the 5th-6th Centuries AD. However, when I checked over the H6 map at ftDNA, I see more H6a1a (including the few H6a1a8) records in Ireland, wales, and western Britain, than I do here in Eastern England.

Based on that tiny underrepresented evidence, my guess is that my haplogroup has been in Ireland and the British isles for a very long time. As GogMagog suggests, from Europe. That is not to say that it couldn't have been carried into my line by an Anglo-Saxon immigrant ancestor - but it looks to me, as it was already here in other families that descended from local prehistoric populations.

H6a1b has been found in ancient Yamna DNA. Therefore, many people are now suggesting that it arrived into NW Europe from the Eurasian Steppes, during the Early Bronze Age.

In answer to your question - can you now see how Irish mtDNA can be shared across a much wider area?

Thanks for your reply, it was very interesting. Yes, I see how Irish mtDNA can be shared across a much wider area. I looked up the Yamna culture, who I had only recently heard about. It looks like just through Irish mtDNA that there could be not only genetic connections between the Irish and much of the British Isles, but to continental Europe itself, and beyond. Very fascinating.

firemonkey
05-17-2016, 08:51 AM
Mine is H67. FTDNA gives the following of the coding region matches : Genetic distance 2, Ireland 2 Scotland 1 United Kingdom 1 . Genetic distance 3, Ireland 1.