PDA

View Full Version : Can someone teach me? (D-stats+Qpadm)

Kale
05-31-2016, 05:43 AM
I am always coming up with ideas on new ones to run but I don't know how to do so. If someone could teach me, I could do a little more contributing. You know run the tests myself and stop bugging other people to :P

Kale
06-11-2016, 08:17 PM
Anyone?

Arbogan
06-15-2016, 01:34 PM
Anyone?

It's difficult, i suggest starting with looking at Plink software packs:
http://pngu.mgh.harvard.edu/~purcell/plink/

These aren't user friendly programs so to speak. But if you have decent experience with programming. You can always ask the genetics bloggers for hints once you begin learning the ropes.

Kale
06-15-2016, 05:11 PM
All that documentation is like Sumerian to me...I have 0 coding knowledge or aptitude.

Arbogan
06-15-2016, 06:02 PM
All that documentation is like Sumerian to me...I have 0 coding knowledge or aptitude.

Tbh, while it definitely has a high learning curve, it doesn't seem to be unmasterable, but it does seem like a complex long-term project, which will have to learned over months. You should ask kurd, davidski or chad if they can help you.

anglesqueville
06-16-2016, 07:50 AM

As Ardogan tells, it's not at all unmasterable. The tutorial of PLINK is really excellent. Work with it contientiously, not as entertainment, but as an actual work: e.g. with the example sets, and topic after topic. IMO before starting with PLINK you should spend some time with R. That will not help you directly for PLINK, but will break the habitual use of Windows ( you know, mouse+scroll-down menus). Anyway, be aware that your project is very ambitious. If you have a job, a family, etc, well... don't hope any result before a couple of months. But time is long: 6 years ago I started to learn icelandic by myself. People told me: "wow, you're crazy. Icelandic is one of the most difficult european languages.". I did'nt care, and made me a rigorous working plan, with an imperative law: not one only day without working. Make this, and in one year you'll be a PLINK master.

Kale
06-16-2016, 04:08 PM
Well that's a bubble burster....

I'd imagine for the good of the whole, instead of multiple people each taking a year to learn a program, it would make more sense for one person to spend a year creating a program that anyone can use.

anglesqueville
06-16-2016, 04:32 PM

I'd imagine for the good of the whole, instead of multiple people each taking a year to learn a program, it would make more sense for one person to spend a year creating a program that anyone can use.

PLINK is not a blogger tool! You should be grateful to those professional geneticists who made their professional tools available to everyone, and take on their time to write tutorials. I told "a year", but perhaps you'll succeed in a pair of months ( or weeks?). Most hard often is to begin.

Kale
06-16-2016, 07:42 PM
I didn't say anything about blogs? Anyways...I'm grateful for anyone who does anything productive, this instance absolutely included, but my point still stands...if I could devote 1 day to learning it, that's one thing, but months or weeks even is just too much to consider this venture any sort of priority. Thanks for the info though :)

surbakhunWeesste
06-16-2016, 08:07 PM

you are talking about an app, who knows maybe you'd be the next one to come up with one. Here, you can get started, you need to know 'C'
https://github.com/DReichLab/AdmixTools

Chad Rohlfsen
06-17-2016, 03:51 AM
What do you know and what do you have?