PDA

View Full Version : Serbian atDNA results

Macura
06-22-2016, 09:47 AM
I manage to collect 69 autosomal DNA results of Serbs from various regions of ex-Yugoslavia but mostly from western parts. They are tested by FTDNA, 23andMe and Ancestry.
I hope that we shall compare them with another population in the neighborhood. For a start, here are the results according to DODECAD K7b:

Macura
06-22-2016, 09:48 AM
EUROGENES K13:

Macura
06-22-2016, 09:52 AM
And EUROGENES v2 K15:

I have data for several calculators and it will be no problem to make them available here :) MDLP will be next for sure.

BalkanKiwi
06-22-2016, 10:39 AM
Thanks for sharing. I haven't seen a lot of Croatian results but I'd assume they might be similar to Serbians.

Macura
07-04-2016, 10:10 PM
Thanks for sharing. I haven't seen a lot of Croatian results but I'd assume they might be similar to Serbians.

More or less...Serbs, in general, have a little more Med and West Asian (Caucasus) admixtures than Croats.

Macura
07-04-2016, 10:13 PM

I couldn't do this earlier.

Macura
07-04-2016, 10:17 PM

First pic is MDLP K23b, and this one MDLP World-22.

Dorkymon
07-04-2016, 10:56 PM
Are you guys secretly Romanian? The average results from your samples are almost identical to mine, though I get slightly more Mongoloid admixture and less Farmers (Mediterranean).

Illyro-Vlach
07-05-2016, 01:04 AM
Are you guys secretly Romanian? The average results from your samples are almost identical to mine, though I get slightly more Mongoloid admixture and less Farmers (Mediterranean).

He is using Serbs from the western parts of the former Yugoslavia. These Serbs trace their history back to the migrations during the Ottoman Era when "Vlachs" were resettled in depopulated parts of Bosnia and today's Croatia with some crossing over to the Habsburg side to serve as soldiers defending the border from the Ottomans. They were granted special privileges for their service under the "Statuta Valachorum" (Vlach Status) in these lands. These Serbs all originate from the area encompassing today's Eastern Herzegovina, North and Northwestern Montenegro (Old Herzegovina), Southeastern Bosnia, and Southwestern Serbia (Stari Vlah/Old Vlach).

Statuta Valachorum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statuta_Valachorum)

Gravetto-Danubian
07-05-2016, 01:42 AM

Are Romanians secretly Yugoslavs ?
;)

Macura
07-10-2016, 10:44 AM

EUtest shows most hits in Moldavian and Greek Thessaly, followed by Lithuanian and Ukrainian. But I must say that besides Ukrainian, significant percentage have Ukranian Lviv and Ukr.Belgorod.
On EU v2 K15 calculator, the most common combination is Ukrainian + Tuscan, followed by Tuscan + Ukr. Russian and Hungarian + Romanian. Mine is Belarus + Tuscan, for example.
It seems that Serbs from R.Serbia (eastern Serbs), in average, are similar to Romanians, Moldavians and Bulgarians and western Serbs are slightly closer to Croats and central-european region. I don't think it's unusual result.

Macura
07-10-2016, 10:48 AM
He is using Serbs from the western parts of the former Yugoslavia. These Serbs trace their history back to the migrations during the Ottoman Era when "Vlachs" were resettled in depopulated parts of Bosnia and today's Croatia with some crossing over to the Habsburg side to serve as soldiers defending the border from the Ottomans. They were granted special privileges for their service under the "Statuta Valachorum" (Vlach Status) in these lands. These Serbs all originate from the area encompassing today's Eastern Herzegovina, North and Northwestern Montenegro (Old Herzegovina), Southeastern Bosnia, and Southwestern Serbia (Stari Vlah/Old Vlach).

Statuta Valachorum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statuta_Valachorum)

Among this 69 tested are MOSTLY western Serbs just because we have much more tested people. With more people from eastern parts, I expect somewhat different result - higher Med and West Asian influence and less Atlantic-Baltic.

Macura
07-15-2016, 10:34 PM
And in the end, GedrosiaDNA calculator.
I was interested in the results for Eurasia K14 Neolithic and here are the scores using 2 populations approximation:

1) Hungarian_BA3 - 41%
2) Nordic_IA - 17%
Between 5-10% are Bell_Beaker_LN3, HungaryGamba_IA and Bell_Beaker_LN2

In the combination:
1) Hungarian_BA3 + Nordic_IA - 35%
2) Bell_Beaker_LN3 + Hungarian_BA3 - 15%
3) Bell_Beaker_LN2 + Hungarian_BA3 - 13%

Obviously Hungarian_BA3 is dominant among Serbs in 2 population approximation. My combination is Bell_Beaker_LN2 + Hungarian_BA3 @ 4.974055

Macura
07-23-2016, 03:13 PM
Calculator Eurogenes K36:

FENNOSCANDIAN:
5.38% - Western Serbs
4.35% - Eastern Serbs
Average for all Serbs - 4.9% (some of the tested are ''mixed'' and they don't belong to W or E Serbs)

CAUCASIAN admixtures for Eastern Serbs:
2.65% - Armenian
4.11% - North Caucasian
1.55% - West Caucasian
Caucasian in total - 2.77%

CAUCASIAN admixtures for Western Serbs:
1.98% - Armenian
3.48% - North Caucasian
1.36% - West Caucasian
Caucasian in total - 2.27%

CAUCASIAN admixtures for all Serbs:
2.28% - Armenian
3.72% - North Caucasian
1.39% - West Caucasian
Caucasian average for all Serbs - 2.47% (some of the tested are ''mixed'' and they don't belong to W or E Serbs)

Ghost01
09-13-2016, 10:43 PM
Thanks for posting this wonderful information. I have been exploring my Serbian ancestry more in depth lately. I appreciate the efforts you have put forth in providing this information. Hvala Vam!

BalkanKiwi
09-14-2016, 12:17 AM
Thanks for posting this wonderful information. I have been exploring my Serbian ancestry more in depth lately. I appreciate the efforts you have put forth in providing this information. Hvala Vam!

If I'm reading your flags right and you're part Serbian and Korean, then that's an awesome mix.

Ghost01
09-14-2016, 11:47 PM
If I'm reading your flags right and you're part Serbian and Korean, then that's an awesome mix.

Yes, BalkanKiwi that is correct. I am part Korean and Serbian along with some Uzbek, Polynesian and a couple of other ethnicities too. Thanks for the kind words. Your flags tell a wonderful story and contain many proud and awesome heritages too! Good to make your acquaintance.

Macura
11-11-2016, 08:20 PM
Serbian Y-DNA statistics:
I collected over 870 samples, from various sources.

33.1% - I2a Din
17.0% - R1a
16.5% - E1b
8.7% - I1
6.6% - J2b
4.8% - R1b
3.9% - G2a
3.3% - N1
2.2% - J1
1.7% - J2a
0.9% - I2-M223
0.6% - Q
0.2% - I2c
0.2% - L
0.1% - H1
0.1% - T

*R1a - I didn't count many R1a Z280 families because they are close related and part of the family project (I took only main branches). About 1/2 of R1a is Z280 branch, M458 is 4.5% and rest are undeterminated.
* I1 - About 1/2 is P109, 15-20% is Z63
*J2b - M205 is 80% of all J2b
*R1b - Mostly Balkan/Anadolia branch

After publishing the complete result for 1000+ Serbs, I am expecting only E1b could move up but let's wait and see.

Mt DNA update soon.

Macura
04-28-2017, 06:01 PM
Latest Serbian yDNA update, after 1117 samples:

33.9% - I2a Dinaric (so called South and North)
15.8% - R1a (2/3 or even more are Z280 subclades)
15.4% - E1b
9.1% - I1 (mostly P109 with Z63 V68+ Macura clan - in old Macura area in Montenegro 1 L1237 is found)
5.1% - J2 M205
4.9% - R1b (various subclades)
3.8% - G2a
3.1% - N (mostly N-P189.2 )
2.4% - J2a
2.1% - J1
1.3% - J2-M241
0.9% - Q
0.7% - I2 (Dinaric excluded)
0.4% - T
0.2% - I2c, L, J2
0.1% - G1, H1

Results collected from various databases. Thanks anyone who helped me or provide me informations. :)

Dorkymon
05-01-2017, 01:40 PM
Latest Serbian yDNA update, after 1117 samples:

33.9% - I2a Dinaric (so called South and North)
15.8% - R1a (2/3 or even more are Z280 subclades)
15.4% - E1b
9.1% - I1 (mostly P109 with Z63 V68+ Macura clan - in old Macura area in Montenegro 1 L1237 is found)
5.1% - J2 M205
4.9% - R1b (various subclades)
3.8% - G2a
3.1% - N (mostly N-P189.2 )
2.4% - J2a
2.1% - J1
1.3% - J2-M241
0.9% - Q
0.7% - I2 (Dinaric excluded)
0.4% - T
0.2% - I2c, L, J2
0.1% - G1, H1

Results collected from various databases. Thanks anyone who helped me or provide me informations. :)

Nice update, have you got any sources? I'm wondering if I can find more Romanian samples from there for my project (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Oc6XHFXRaZI4LBs28q4NnESRdCs8_35M8NNxZ5kyhKU/edit?usp=sharing).

Macura
05-02-2017, 09:35 AM
Nice update, have you got any sources? I'm wondering if I can find more Romanian samples from there for my project (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Oc6XHFXRaZI4LBs28q4NnESRdCs8_35M8NNxZ5kyhKU/edit?usp=sharing).

Thank you! I used data from various databases and projects (FTDNA, 23andMe etc), scientific researches and sometimes I was forcing people to extract their yDNA from Ancestry test :D In Serbia, yDNA test became popular although domestic labs offer 17 or 23 markers. Just few weeks ago, between 50 and 100 people took a test on a discount. After publishing all science research results, I think Serbia will have database close to 3000 tested people (domestic labs, FTDNA, 23andMe, YSEQ). My adventage are people tested in domestic labs and I don't know how Romania is standing there. Unfortunately, majority with 17 or 23 markers and without SNP tests.
I saw few Romanians on the GEDmatch but I guess you are already familiar with them. Also, I organized the testing of a few members of ethnic minorities, but there are not Romanians from Serbia. I don't know if they have been tested in serbian labs or anywhere else.

Zanatis
05-10-2017, 01:24 PM
Good work Macura!

Have you included Montenegrins or only people with origins from Montenegro (like yourself I believe :D)?

lukaszM
05-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Hey Macura could you post your Serbian K36 averages for East and West Serbia?
I want to include them in my oracle.

Macura
05-11-2017, 09:21 PM
Hey Macura could you post your Serbian K36 averages for East and West Serbia?
I want to include them in my oracle.
I sent you PM with results.
Cheers!!!

Macura
05-11-2017, 09:28 PM
Good work Macura!

Have you included Montenegrins or only people with origins from Montenegro (like yourself I believe :D)?

My ancestors left Montenegro cca 500 years ago. Are you interested in something specific related with Montenegrin DNA results?

Zanatis
05-14-2017, 12:55 PM
My ancestors left Montenegro cca 500 years ago. Are you interested in something specific related with Montenegrin DNA results?

Just curious as my ancestors left Montenegro circa 500 years ago as well. Do you have any data as to which population are Montengrins the closest autosomally?

As a Macura I supposed u must be I-Z63+, right?

Macura
05-19-2017, 11:42 PM
Just curious as my ancestors left Montenegro circa 500 years ago as well. Do you have any data as to which population are Montengrins the closest autosomally?

As a Macura I supposed u must be I-Z63+, right?

According to Eurogenes K15, Montenegrins are close to Serbs but with more Med and W.Asian influence. Some of them are close to Romanians.

eastara
05-21-2017, 06:36 AM
I was recently looking at the Admixture results from the study "Ancient and recent admixture layers in Sicily and Southern Italy trace multiple migration routes along the Mediterranean".
What grab my attention is that the Montenegrins have comparatively little Middle East-like admixture than the Romanians and Bulgarians, which they otherwise resemble. It is in line with the Kosovars and Gheg Albaninans, although they have more North European.
Is it possible that the Albanians and Montenegrins, being isolated in the mountains are closest to the original Balkan population? Most people agree, that more North European came with the Slavs in Early Medieval times, thus reducing the original Sardinian and Caucasus-like components. However, I think the Middle East is also a new component, which came to the Balkans starting since Hellenistic-Roman times.

Dorkymon
05-21-2017, 11:34 AM
I was recently looking at the Admixture results from the study "Ancient and recent admixture layers in Sicily and Southern Italy trace multiple migration routes along the Mediterranean".
What grab my attention is that the Montenegrins have comparatively little Middle East-like admixture than the Romanians and Bulgarians, which they otherwise resemble. It is in line with the Kosovars and Gheg Albaninans, although they have more North European.
Is it possible that the Albanians and Montenegrins, being isolated in the mountains are closest to the original Balkan population? Most people agree, that more North European came with the Slavs in Early Medieval times, thus reducing the original Sardinian and Caucasus-like components. However, I think the Middle East is also a new component, which came to the Balkans starting since Hellenistic-Roman times.

K2 and K3 show the opposite for Gheg Albanians who have higher Near-Eastern like admixture. Therefore, I'd argue that at K4, most of the Near-Eastern like admixture in Gheg Albanians is absorbed by the Sardinian-like component.

http://i.imgur.com/D7nGDc8.jpg

Also read the opinion of the authors:

As for the Balkans, Sardinia and Caucasus related admixtures were observed for North-Central Balkans, whereas events involving Near Eastern or Caucasian and a Balkan-related sources characterize Southern Balkans and Calabria/Central-East Sicily

North-central Balkans = South Slavs + Romanians
South Balkans = Albanians + Greeks

kangz
05-21-2017, 11:54 AM
Nice results. Do you perhaps have any Gedmatch kits of Serbs from places like Nis, Kursumlija, Leskovac, Prokuplje, Medveda and Prokuplje?

eastara
05-22-2017, 10:48 AM
K2 and K3 show the opposite for Gheg Albanians who have higher Near-Eastern like admixture. Therefore, I'd argue that at K4, most of the Near-Eastern like admixture in Gheg Albanians is absorbed by the Sardinian-like component.

http://i.imgur.com/D7nGDc8.jpg

Also read the opinion of the authors:

North-central Balkans = South Slavs + Romanians
South Balkans = Albanians + Greeks

Of course, much of the Sardinian is in fact old Neolithic farmers, who came from Anatolia and are related to other Middle East. However the Middle East at K=4 seems to be the Levantine type, while Early Neolithic farmers descend from West Anatolians, who were distinctive from the Natufians even at that age.
Dienekes noted at his first exercises on Admixture, that populations, who are closely related to each other tend to form false clusters when increasing the number of components, which masks their real admixture. This looks the case with the Sardinians and Albanians at K=10, you could argue there is an "Albanian" purple component, as it is highest with them. However, this is not the case, that's why more useful are lower breakdowns.
Greece, on the other hand is a classic "genetic sink" where most of the population are recent newcomers from near and distant geographical ares, who have already mixed up indistinguishably of the originals.