PDA

View Full Version : Merging/phasing parents' results with your profile

Svabinsky
07-01-2016, 11:18 PM
I have seen a few posts mentioning that merging one's personal results with those of their parents affects ancestry composition estimates on 23andMe. I was wondering if people could share how merging/phasing their parents' results affected their own initial ancestry compositions.

CrazyDaisy
08-30-2016, 05:35 AM
I will post them when my results are ready.

CrazyDaisy
08-31-2016, 07:00 AM
My results before
http://i.imgur.com/wjNojRv.jpg
My results after
http://i.imgur.com/VDGmSyO.jpg

A Norfolk L-M20
08-31-2016, 04:27 PM
I'm ethnic English, mainly of Norfolk ancestry (where I still live), with 207 direct ancestors named, all SE English, mainly East Anglian Norfolk, but also with some Oxfordshire, Thames Valley, and East Midlands.

My results before any parental phasing, in speculative mode:

100% European
94% NW European
3% South European
3% Broadly European

32% British & Irish
27% French & German
7% Scandinavian
29% Broadly NW European

0.5% Iberian
2.4% Broadly Southern European

I then phased with my mother. My percentages in speculative mode changed to:

100% European
96% NW European
1.8% Southern European
2.2% Broadly European

37% British & Irish
22% French & German
0.7% Scandinavian
36% Broadly NW European

1.8% Broadly South European

In short, it reduced my Scandinavian down from 7% to less than 1%. It reduced French & German by 5%. Increased British & Irish by 5%. Increased the unassigned "Broadly NW European by 7%. Slightly reduced the South European and took away the "Iberian" speculation. It wasn't what I expected, and to be perfectly honest, I've lost a certain amount of faith in autosomal testing for ancestry. Very good for pointing to a corner of Europe, but beyond that, I think that it doesn't meet the average consumer's expectation in terms of accuracy. If anything, phasing increased uncertainty, but that only to me, shows how inaccurate unphased results really are. Particularly for distinguishing Western Europeans apart.

I'm very suspicious of the "South European" claim. Phasing shows it on both sides, paternal, and maternal! However, no sign of any Catholicism, or Latin names in any of my 207 direct ancestors over the past 380 years. If it had been on one side, I might have believed it - but around 2% from both parents? I've seen a number of English recieve small percentages of "South European". If anything, I'd point to ancient admixture / confusion. Same however with a lot of my Broadly NW European, French & German, and Scandinavian - no sign on the paper trail, so I interpret it as confusion caused by early medieval North Sea admixture, rather than 23andMe's claims of focusing on "500 years ago".

Just for your information, my mother's results (123 direct ancestors named, all East Anglian, almost all from the County of Norfolk) in spec mode were:

99.9% European
93% NW European
2.2% South European
0.1% Sub Saharan African

36% British & Irish
13% French & German
4% Scandinavian
40% Broadly NW European

2.2% Broadly South European

<0.1% East African

.... and yes, I'm suspicious of the SSA as well!

CrazyDaisy
08-31-2016, 04:53 PM
I'm ethnic English, mainly of Norfolk ancestry (where I still live), with 207 direct ancestors named, all SE English, mainly East Anglian Norfolk, but also with some Oxfordshire, Thames Valley, and East Midlands.

My results before any parental phasing, in speculative mode:

100% European
94% NW European
3% South European
3% Broadly European

32% British & Irish
27% French & German
7% Scandinavian
29% Broadly NW European

0.5% Iberian
2.4% Broadly Southern European

I then phased with my mother. My percentages in speculative mode changed to:

100% European
96% NW European
1.8% Southern European
2.2% Broadly European

37% British & Irish
22% French & German
0.7% Scandinavian
36% Broadly NW European

1.8% Broadly South European

In short, it reduced my Scandinavian down from 7% to less than 1%. It reduced French & German by 5%. Increased British & Irish by 5%. Increased the unassigned "Broadly NW European by 7%. Slightly reduced the South European and took away the "Iberian" speculation. It wasn't what I expected, and to be perfectly honest, I've lost a certain amount of faith in autosomal testing for ancestry. Very good for pointing to a corner of Europe, but beyond that, I think that it doesn't meet the average consumer's expectation in terms of accuracy. If anything, phasing increased uncertainty, but that only to me, shows how inaccurate unphased results really are. Particularly for distinguishing Western Europeans apart.

I'm very suspicious of the "South European" claim. Phasing shows it on both sides, paternal, and maternal! However, no sign of any Catholicism, or Latin names in any of my 207 direct ancestors over the past 380 years. If it had been on one side, I might have believed it - but around 2% from both parents? I've seen a number of English recieve small percentages of "South European". If anything, I'd point to ancient admixture / confusion. Same however with a lot of my Broadly NW European, French & German, and Scandinavian - no sign on the paper trail, so I interpret it as confusion caused by early medieval North Sea admixture, rather than 23andMe's claims of focusing on "500 years ago".

Just for your information, my mother's results (123 direct ancestors named, all East Anglian, almost all from the County of Norfolk) in spec mode were:

99.9% European
93% NW European
2.2% South European
0.1% Sub Saharan African

36% British & Irish
13% French & German
4% Scandinavian
40% Broadly NW European

2.2% Broadly South European

<0.1% East African

.... and yes, I'm suspicious of the SSA as well!
People with Iberian ancestry recieve a bit of British as well. Some Iberian and British DNA is just hard to tell apart.

A Norfolk L-M20
09-02-2016, 05:01 PM
People with Iberian ancestry recieve a bit of British as well. Some Iberian and British DNA is just hard to tell apart.

A good observation. I feel that this is the truth with an awful lot of autosomal ancestry composition. Unable to differentiate between different Western and NW European populations. People make too much of the results.