PDA

View Full Version : Post editing permissions now disabled without a subscription

rock hunter
07-06-2016, 05:40 AM
Can someone tell me the rationale for this decision ?

MitchellSince1893
07-06-2016, 05:44 AM
I can see having to pay for additional/new features, but having to pay to use previously free features seems odd.

Administrator
07-06-2016, 06:46 AM
Hi rock hunter,

Thank you for your question. We hope to answer your inquiry fully here.

Before elaborating on the post edit window issue, please note that this is the only change in functionality experienced by regular users (please see here (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?7757-Anthrogenica-Sustainability-amp-Your-Support)).

The version of vBulletin Anthrogenica is currently facilitated by (4.2.x) only permits global changes to member post editing windows. As such, we could not specify different post editing window periods among different non-administrative usergroups without implementing plugins/hacks (discussed further below).

At launch, Anthrogenica originally had a 24 hour post edit window. However, this was agreed by the administrators to compromise the fluidity of discussions within threads, as quite a few members would wholesale strip their earlier posts of content. We had settled on a 1 hour post edit window ever since.

From our interactions with several of our longstanding regulars, increased post edit windows were considered an area of improvement. As a part of our subscription class package, this was identified as another means of boosting functionality for those members who choose to support this forum's endeavours and upkeep.

We originally intended to retain the same post edit permissions for regular users (1 hour) and implement a progressively greater window for the subscription classes (6, 12 and 24 hours for Bronze, Silver and Gold respectively). Compatible plugins to achieve this were pursued and tested. Unfortunately, none of these passed our in-house trials. Given the technical limitations we faced, the decision was made to grant boosted edit permissions to those members who are voluntarily supporting Anthrogenica financially. You are most welcome to ask any member of staff regarding this detail for confirmation, as this intention was expressed to us by 'DMXX' several weeks ago.

The latest version of vBulletin (5.x.x) does permit individual usergroups to have their own specific post editing window periods. We currently have no plans on upgrading to vBulletin 5, in large part due to the (still) reduced number of plugins available compared to vBulletin 4. Whenever the administration decides an upgrade is warranted, we will certainly permit non-subscription users the privilege of editing their posts once more.

In summary, the administrators had no intention of curbing regular user editing permissions and the rationale was ultimately based on technical limitations beyond our control, alongside incentive boosting measures for those who are directly helping us run this forum with their very kind contributions.

In the meantime, members wishing to edit their posts may consider choosing either of the 'Bronze' subscription classes (only $5.00), granting them a 24 hour post edit window period for a full calendar year.

rock hunter
07-06-2016, 06:46 AM
Being a perfectly imperfect person I am always editing my errors.
Having a touch of OCD , it would bother me to make post with an error
and not be able to correct it afterwards and so au revoir

rock hunter
07-06-2016, 02:11 PM
OK so its based on technical limitations beyond your control but which can be controlled with Bronze upgrade . From scanning
http://www.vbulletin.com community software website I do not see this as a big problem but I think I have a simple work around.

May I suggest a pewter class for those who support this forum's endeavours and upkeep by bothering to take the time to contribute
the articles and tidbits that make up the vast majority of this site to start with .

rock hunter
07-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Of course you could also just ask for our
support by way of a donation drive.

Administrator
07-06-2016, 06:59 PM
Of course you could also just ask for our
support by way of a donation drive.

Anthrogenica has an administration-wide supported sustainability model (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?7757-Anthrogenica-Sustainability-amp-Your-Support) in place. Donation drives are in response to acute shortages in funds. They are, therefore, unnecessary given the degree of advanced planning the administrators have undertaken to secure this forum's longevity for years to come.

May I suggest a pewter class for those who support this forum's endeavours and upkeep by bothering to take the time to contribute
the articles and tidbits that make up the vast majority of this site to start with .

The majority of the content on this site is discussion based, as apposed to simple article sharing.

Arbitrarily granting extra privileges to financially non-supportive members is, quite obviously, a slippery slope which will not benefit our community in the least.

To use your phrasing, members who bother to take the time to contribute articles do so of their own volition.

OK so its based on technical limitations beyond your control but which can be controlled with Bronze upgrade .

Correct. Alternatively, if one is particularly remiscent about participating in the cheapest sponsorship scheme, carefully wording one's post before contributing them to discussions or threads is the most obvious "free" solution here.

From scanning
http://www.vbulletin.com community software website I do not see this as a big problem

This comment doesn't make much immediate sense. We outlined a recognized issue with vB 4.x.x and no intentions of transferring to vB 5 (yet?) for your information and to the best of our ability.

There is certainly no problem on our side given our well-intentioned workaround, nor do we consider the inevitability some members will not like these changes to be a problem either, for that matter.

rock hunter
07-07-2016, 01:28 AM
I was going to correct that 5 and a few other things, but I could not edit.
Having dyslexia as well, maybe I took this as an more of a inconsideration than others,
kind of like charging to use a wheelchair ramp but I see your side as well.
I will go for the gold but if I might also add that you will lose foreign members
To us its just the price of a Starbucks Chunky Monkey Frappuccino but
in India its a days wages to some.

Il PapÓ
07-07-2016, 03:48 AM
Hi rock hunter,

Thank you for your question. We hope to answer your inquiry fully here.

Before elaborating on the post edit window issue, please note that this is the only change in functionality experienced by regular users (please see here (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?7757-Anthrogenica-Sustainability-amp-Your-Support)).

The version of vBulletin Anthrogenica is currently facilitated by (4.2.x) only permits global changes to member post editing windows. As such, we could not specify different post editing window periods among different non-administrative usergroups without implementing plugins/hacks (discussed further below).

At launch, Anthrogenica originally had a 24 hour post edit window. However, this was agreed by the administrators to compromise the fluidity of discussions within threads, as quite a few members would wholesale strip their earlier posts of content. We had settled on a 1 hour post edit window ever since.

From our interactions with several of our longstanding regulars, increased post edit windows were considered an area of improvement. As a part of our subscription class package, this was identified as another means of boosting functionality for those members who choose to support this forum's endeavours and upkeep.

We originally intended to retain the same post edit permissions for regular users (1 hour) and implement a progressively greater window for the subscription classes (6, 12 and 24 hours for Bronze, Silver and Gold respectively). Compatible plugins to achieve this were pursued and tested. Unfortunately, none of these passed our in-house trials. Given the technical limitations we faced, the decision was made to grant boosted edit permissions to those members who are voluntarily supporting Anthrogenica financially. You are most welcome to ask any member of staff regarding this detail for confirmation, as this intention was expressed to us by 'DMXX' several weeks ago.

The latest version of vBulletin (5.x.x) does permit individual usergroups to have their own specific post editing window periods. We currently have no plans on upgrading to vBulletin 5, in large part due to the (still) reduced number of plugins available compared to vBulletin 4. Whenever the administration decides an upgrade is warranted, we will certainly permit non-subscription users the privilege of editing their posts once more.

In summary, the administrators had no intention of curbing regular user editing permissions and the rationale was ultimately based on technical limitations beyond our control, alongside incentive boosting measures for those who are directly helping us run this forum with their very kind contributions.

In the meantime, members wishing to edit their posts may consider choosing either of the 'Bronze' subscription classes (only $5.00), granting them a 24 hour post edit window period for a full calendar year.

What specific plugs-in are this forum using that prevent upgrading to vBulletin 5 ?

DMXX
07-07-2016, 11:10 AM
Dear 'rock hunter',

After seeing your thread, I've taken the initiative to re-attempt the plugin installation that allows different editing times for different member groups. Been at it for well over two hours now. After some technical fiddling, success.

I can now confirm Regular Users have 1 hour post edit windows once more. :)

That now means our non-subscription members (which was everyone prior to the subscription package introduction) have now retained the exact same interactive experience at Anthrogenica as before our upgrade several days ago.

Now I've finally restored editing rights for non-subscription members, I am willing to make an exception to section 2.9 and reimburse you the full $10 and return you to the Regular Users class if the other amenities provided by the Gold class don't appeal to you. Please PM me at some point and I'll fulfill your preference accordingly.

Will be updating the other threads shortly to reflect the above.

What specific plugs-in are this forum using that prevent upgrading to vBulletin 5 ?

From discussions around two years ago, these were a mixture of aesthetic and forum function considerations. Other administrators are more informed regarding the specifics of this.

As the post edit issue has been resolved fully, I'll be closing this thread.

[Edit]: Out of principle, I'll also be PMing all our current subscription members regarding the above in case they wish to be reimbursed and returned to "Regular Users", as their subscriptions took place under different circumstances. [Edit again]: Done.