PDA

View Full Version : Wegene Results Spanish/Hungarian?

Redsky12
07-08-2016, 02:21 AM
Hello, I am new here. I had 1% West Asian on Ancestry. So I thought that I could see if Wegene could look at it for me. I got some interesting results. I had 51.89% Spanish, 43.15% Hungarian, 4.92% Finnish, and 0.04% Other. This is odd because Eurogenes K13 module population 1 module shows that I am mostly SouthWest English. My 2nd population module shows a connection to like Central India. Other kits that I have seen got English or French. I was surprise to not get English at all in mine. Did I get somebody else's kit perhaps?

JGG
05-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Wegene is not reliable. They were correct in showing my Spanish background, but gave me 14% Hungarian. Neither Ancestry nor FTDNA, or all the Gedmatch calculators , shows remotely any connection to Hungary. It didn't work for me.

CathyF
04-11-2018, 06:47 AM
My results show 97% Hungarian? All my other tests show a mix of European Countries

digital_noise
04-22-2018, 07:28 PM
Im 85% Hungarian according to WeGene. Not reliable at all...

NiamhWitch
06-06-2018, 11:11 AM
Yeah, I uploaded mine, my dad's, and my husband's 23andMe results to WeGene, and they detected a large percentage Hungarian, which is completely wrong. I'd imagine a tiny bit for me (as my 4th great-grandmother on my mother's side was Hungarian), but not as high of a percentage as they gave me. Plus, my dad would definitely not show any Hungarian and they gave him a super high percentage, too.

PoxVoldius
06-09-2018, 05:15 PM
WeGene is geared toward East Asian populations (especially Chinese), and only has a handful of overly broad, and not particularly accurate, categories for European.

flower
06-10-2018, 11:42 PM
WeGene has few European categories to lump Europeans into and they do so from an eastern perspective, not a western one. It makes things weird and inaccurate but nonetheless ethnicities do seem to fit into their broad and inaccurate categories.

France seems to encompass Western Europe, including England and Scandinavia. Their English designation is probably what we know to be Irish, Scottish, or Welsh. Spanish is probably their Iberia designation. Sardinian might be a proxy for Italian. So who knows what regions they consider Hungary to cover. East Central Europe? Balkans? Same with Finland and Russia. Baltic and part of Eastern Europe? Nonetheless, if people consider that their categories are limited and inaccurate, I think most of us will find we have ancestry in whatever region their designation is meant to cover. I get 60% French, which is a little lower than the Western Europe estimates I get elsewhere, but perfectly in line with being a mix of Western Europe and British descent with some Scandinavian tossed in. Their Hungary estimation is a little high for me but not any different from DNA.land or Genecove wanting me to be 22-24% Balkan/East Mediterranean, or Gedmatch hitting on Hungary, Croatia, Ukraine, and Poland.

PoxVoldius
06-11-2018, 03:20 AM
Their "Hungarian" category seems to vaguely line-up with my eastern German, Bohemian, Silesian & Swiss ancestry. While "French" does appear to be all the British & Irish, western German, Dutch, French and Belgian ancestry I have (along with whatever Scandinavian inputs were present in those).

My Wegene results: (from an Ancestry DNA upload)

62.05% French
37.38% Hungarian
0.52% Cambodian
0.04% Other

Not sure if the "Cambodian" is a relict of my Colonial American ancestry, or something present in the Bohemian ancestry. Ancestry DNA gives me <1% Asia East (I don't have the updated results yet), and gives my mom <1% Melanesia. The K29 report at Geneplaza, meanwhile, has apparently designated the DNA I inherited from my Czech great-grandmother as 12.6% Tatar. And then there's some mystery genetic heritage that seems to have come from my French Canadian 4th-great-grandfather which shows up in Ancestry DNA as <1% Ivory Coast/Ghana for me and 2% Mali for my dad, and as 0.3% West African on my K29 report. ...Or maybe the heritage from that French Canadian combined with the Colonial American heritage somehow resembles Cambodian to Wegene?

My dad's Wegene results: (also from an Ancestry DNA upload)

56.04% French
43.05% Hungarian
0.69% BantuSA (African)
0.17% Papuan
0.04% Other

Dad's ancestry is mostly German (with our surname originating in a part of Saxony that's very close to the Czech border), with some British & Irish, and that random French Canadian. Some of it is Colonial American, but not as much as there is on Mom's side of the family.

edit:

Just got Mom's Wegene results... I think it's safe to say that "Hungarian" seems to roughly correspond to East Central Europe. Mom being 1/4 Czech and also having a German great-grandmother.

Mom's results:

60.69% French
19.78% Hungarian
15.82% Finnish/Russian
3.65% English
0.04% Other

...And now I'm just really not sure what's registering as "Cambodian" in my results, lol.

vettor
06-11-2018, 06:25 PM
i get

European 92.09%

Hungarian57.48% ................................must include Germany, Austria, Hungaria, slovenia , czech and maybe even some of Poland
Sardinian19.57% .................................represents also Italy, Corsica and french Riviera
Balkan12.96% ...................................No Slovenia
French1.83% .....................................includes Belgium, Luxembourg and Netherlands
Ashkenazi0.20% ................................some of Poland
English0.01% ................................includes all British isles and Ireland
Finnish/Russian0.00% ......................includes scandinavia
Spanish0.00% .....................includes Portugal

Iranian6.36%
Egyptian1.51%

they did get my haplogroups

Paternal Haplogroup ?
T1a

Maternal Haplogroup ?
H95a

LostSlough
06-13-2018, 12:07 AM
Mine is off as far as specificity wrt European ancestry, but the general regions are about right (like if I lump it all into north/west/east/south Europe and ignore the countries, it's about right).

It's spot on with my Asian ancestry.

Ana26K
06-17-2018, 11:58 PM
I got similar results with WeGene. While I'm Southeastern European, on most other tests I come up as Italian or Greek with a sprinkle of Spanish & Romanian, but def not Hungarian. The majority of my Ancestry on WeGene was Spanish, Hungarian, & Balkan. However, I did come up with having the same amount of European Jew, British Isles, and Middle Eastern as other more reliable tests.