PDA

View Full Version : DNA transfers to GENI

Titane
07-09-2016, 03:32 PM
This is a question that was asked in the French forum by TheConqueror. After seeing an announcement regarding this new possibility on Roberta Estes' blog, and the encouragement on this site I decided to take the plunge and see what would happen.
The concept is interesting in principle. GENI has millions of genealogical records, to the point that they do not accept Gedcom transfers anymore because they claim you are already probably there. Indeed I am because a cousin of mine added me five years ago.
So my results? Mitochondrial DNA - no match
Autosomal DNA - I posted my son's results because his father is Italian and so I had great hopes.
SEVEN matches - all through me - no Italian, but TheConqueror is amongst them...
There is a feature that allows to find the common ancestor through the trees. It did not work for any of my seven, much is because most of them have posted only a few names not their full Gedcom.

So this one tree for the world is a nice dream...

In her blog Roberta discussed the transfer from FT-DNA, but it turns out that GENI will take transfers from 23andMe and Ancestry as well.

Anyone else tried?

vettor
07-09-2016, 07:36 PM
This is a question that was asked in the French forum by TheConqueror. After seeing an announcement regarding this new possibility on Roberta Estes' blog, and the encouragement on this site I decided to take the plunge and see what would happen.
The concept is interesting in principle. GENI has millions of genealogical records, to the point that they do not accept Gedcom transfers anymore because they claim you are already probably there. Indeed I am because a cousin of mine added me five years ago.
So my results? Mitochondrial DNA - no match
Autosomal DNA - I posted my son's results because his father is Italian and so I had great hopes.
SEVEN matches - all through me - no Italian, but TheConqueror is amongst them...
There is a feature that allows to find the common ancestor through the trees. It did not work for any of my seven, much is because most of them have posted only a few names not their full Gedcom.

So this one tree for the world is a nice dream...

In her blog Roberta discussed the transfer from FT-DNA, but it turns out that GENI will take transfers from 23andMe and Ancestry as well.

Anyone else tried?

yes, they take 23andme transfers, but will not list the markers from 23andme. They only list the Ftdna tested markers

I have 42 matches..........9 with zero genetic distance and all others with 1 genetic distance...............they have no scope to list anyone beyond 1 Genetic distance ( a very good way of doing it )

ancestryfan1994
07-09-2016, 08:04 PM
What is this, basically an alternative to GEDmatch via GENI ?

Anyway, can somebody please post the link to get started with this? I'm having some trouble actually finding the start up point.

vettor
07-09-2016, 08:08 PM

Anyway, can somebody please post the link to get started with this? I'm having some trouble actually finding the start up point.

Best to enter Geni via your Ftdna account...........easiest

once this is done, then use GENI to add 23andme and ancestry tests

Titane
07-09-2016, 08:14 PM

You make me feel better because I had the same problem, I could not find it at all at first. First you have to be on the GENI site and create your profile. It can be as little as one person, but adding at least your parents enhance the chance of finding you. It is free. Then on your profile page, you need to scroll down until you see a series of tabs. On the right hand site there is one that says DNA with a red NEW tag on it. Click there and follow the instructions.

Or as Vettor says...

Titane
07-09-2016, 08:20 PM
yes, they take 23andme transfers, but will not list the markers from 23andme. They only list the Ftdna tested markers

I have 42 matches..........9 with zero genetic distance and all others with 1 genetic distance...............they have no scope to list anyone beyond 1 Genetic distance ( a very good way of doing it )

There is not a word about genetic distance on my report - just match quality - mostly second cousins twice removed. Because I did recognize someone, we know for a fact that the closest match is more like at the 8th generation, but although these people exist in my tree, because he is not linked into the system, it is not found. But as he says it is not about to enter his whole tree, one by one...

ancestryfan1994
07-09-2016, 08:20 PM
You make me feel better because I had the same problem, I could not find it at all at first. First you have to be on the GENI site and create your profile. It can be as little as one person, but adding at least your parents enhance the chance of finding you. It is free. Then on your profile page, you need to scroll down until you see a series of tabs. On the right hand site there is one that says DNA with a red NEW tag on it. Click there and follow the instructions.

Or as Vettor says...

it worked through FTDNA, now the question is, is there a processing period, or should you see relatives straight away if theres any there?

Titane
07-09-2016, 08:46 PM
it worked through FTDNA, now the question is, is there a processing period, or should you see relatives straight away if theres any there?
No, within the hour I would say. The minute it shows "at" beside your name, click on details.

Stephen1986
07-09-2016, 10:00 PM
I uploaded my FTDNA data and have eight matches including one known cousin who matches me on other sites, as well as a 12/12 yDNA match with someone from Sweden. I've uploaded my brother's 23andMe data as well but it still seems to be processing (I uploaded our data on the third).

vettor
07-09-2016, 10:52 PM
There is not a word about genetic distance on my report - just match quality - mostly second cousins twice removed. Because I did recognize someone, we know for a fact that the closest match is more like at the 8th generation, but although these people exist in my tree, because he is not linked into the system, it is not found. But as he says it is not about to enter his whole tree, one by one...

go into your DNA tab in Geni and you will see this ( many )

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m153/vicpret/geniGD_zpsmdizrx7f.jpg (http://s103.photobucket.com/user/vicpret/media/geniGD_zpsmdizrx7f.jpg.html)

if you click the ancestor report to the right , it gives you there lineage

also , hover around ? for more info

Titane
07-09-2016, 11:02 PM
go into your DNA tab in Geni and you will see this ( many )

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m153/vicpret/geniGD_zpsmdizrx7f.jpg (http://s103.photobucket.com/user/vicpret/media/geniGD_zpsmdizrx7f.jpg.html)

if you click the ancestor report to the right , it gives you there lineage

also , hover around ? for more info
This is not what I get...

If I click on ancestor report, I get none found.

In your report, it talks about HRV1 - must be an mtDNA match.

vettor
07-09-2016, 11:38 PM
This is not what I get...

If I click on ancestor report, I get none found.

In your report, it talks about HRV1 - must be an mtDNA match.

Yes, I only have MtDna matches

It states for Ydna and AuDna ...........they are still being processed ( 3 days Now )

Are yours Ydna reports?

The ancestor report has their lineage

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m153/vicpret/hennesgeni_zpshuelhdtu.jpg (http://s103.photobucket.com/user/vicpret/media/hennesgeni_zpshuelhdtu.jpg.html)

if I move the number at the top from the default 4 to any number more ......more of their lineage appear

Titane
07-09-2016, 11:44 PM
Yes, I only have MtDna matches

It states for Ydna and AuDna ...........they are still being processed ( 3 days Now )

Are yours Ydna reports?
No autosomal - mine were very fast, but maybe because nothing was found? Also, there may have been problems with yours during transfer. There is a spot that says "try again". I did that and it worked the second time around.

vettor
07-09-2016, 11:49 PM
No autosomal - mine were very fast, but maybe because nothing was found? Also, there may have been problems with yours during transfer. There is a spot that says "try again". I did that and it worked the second time around.

see post above now

Mine I suspect are being held due to MyHeritage having my DNA uploads from 2 weeks ago.............I cannot figure out any other reason

Titane
07-09-2016, 11:58 PM
see post above now

Mine I suspect are being held due to MyHeritage having my DNA uploads from 2 weeks ago.............I cannot figure out any other reason
I would ask a few questions to your Geni curator...

Titane
07-10-2016, 03:36 PM
The more I look at this, the more I would say: "Why bother?"
Unless you were already a customer at Geni or are willing to pay them to import your data, your results for most matches will be "no path found". Since most people interested in genealogy at FT-DNA already have a tree there, you end up going back to them. So why transfer?