PDA

View Full Version : ON SALE FOR LIMITED TIME: Geno 2.0 Next Generation DNA Kit $149.95

Celt_??
07-09-2016, 06:56 PM
BIG SALE OVER. NOW $179.95

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/browse/productDetail.jsp?npd&npd&productId=2003825&gsk&code=MR21280

Abd.H
07-10-2016, 03:07 AM
Will Geno 2.0 be useful for me if I have already done y67 and mtfull sequence and F.Finder at FTDNA ?

Huntergatherer1066
07-10-2016, 12:06 PM
Will Geno 2.0 be useful for me if I have already done y67 and mtfull sequence and F.Finder at FTDNA ?

I would say no frankly; the only thing you're really missing is Y-DNA SNP testing and you might be better served with either Bigy/FGC or a SNP Pack of some sort.

Abd.H
07-10-2016, 01:48 PM
I would say no frankly; the only thing you're really missing is Y-DNA SNP testing and you might be better served with either Bigy/FGC or a SNP Pack of some sort.
Thanks
I have already ordered SNP Pack last week

wombatofthenorth
07-11-2016, 05:29 AM

At least currently it gives pretty much the same results as MyOrigins and (if transferred for $39 the same FamilyFinder matching results). Obviously it will give less detailed mtDNA haplo info since you have a FMS already. It might well give more detailed Y haplogroup since Y67 might not give you all that much.

Nice things are it gives you over 60 reference results so you get a much better idea what MyOrigins results actually mean. And they give you nice haplogroup info, they walk your group out of Africa, step by step, with lots of info along the way. Also the maps they have for each region that you match in MyOrigins are drawn much better in Geno 2.0 NG and they are not misleading the way the map boundaries in MyOrigins can be.

At this point it might be a bit late in the game to do it though since you'd be paying just for nicer presentation and such (which is nice but $150 is a lot) and not get too much new results (for $150 an advanced SNP pack might get you possibly more Y haplo info).

As a starting point I suggest doing Geno 2.0 NG instead of FF though as you get more info to start with and a vastly, vastly nicer and more detailed presentation. So I think it's much better to forget FF to start and start with Geno and then later on add some special things. Of course it depends, if you plan to do FMS and BigY right away that would cost you more and you'd again end up paying more the interesting haplogroup walk out of Africa and more accurate maps and getting to see 60 modern reference results to get a better idea what MyOrigins means, not that that stuff isn't nice.

Celt_??
11-29-2016, 06:28 PM
GENO 2.0 NG ON SALE AGAIN FOR $150

https://shop.nationalgeographic.com/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=2004339&code=SR90002&gclid=Cj0KEQiA6_TBBRDInaPjhcelt5oBEiQApPeTF96UIsYE 1Huc1JAmHqD8q40g8uMSNkjiT0n4INa82ksaArHR8P8HAQ

ArmandoR1b
11-29-2016, 06:50 PM
I would stay away from the Geno 2.0 test outside of the U.S. There really isn't much to gain from it. It has a bad ethnicity calculator and too many false positive Y-DNA calls giving a lot of people an incorrect terminal SNP and even the wrong haplogroup in some cases.

The U.S. version is now done by Helix and it might be ok but no one has posted results from that test yet. There is a separate thread at Anthrogenica on the Geno 2.0 Helix test.

Amerijoe
11-29-2016, 06:57 PM
I would stay away from the Geno 2.0 test outside of the U.S. There really isn't much to gain from it. It has a bad ethnicity calculator and too many false positive Y-DNA calls giving a lot of people an incorrect terminal SNP and even the wrong haplogroup in some cases.

The U.S. version is now done by Helix and it might be ok but no one has posted results from that test yet. There is a separate thread at Anthrogenica on the Geno 2.0 Helix test.

Armando, my Geno 2 results were a bit wonky.:confused:

GoldenHind
11-29-2016, 11:21 PM
Armando, my Geno 2 results were a bit wonky.:confused:

You aren't alone- a number of people got positive results for SNPs along with negative results for numerous upstream StNPs from the one for which the test claimed they tested positive.

wombatofthenorth
11-30-2016, 02:35 AM

The ancestry is no worse than MyOrigins, at the worst and it presents it in a much more sensible way.
It offers the nicest mtDNA presentation and nicest Y-haplo presentation of all the companies.

The new US Helix version seems to use less SNPs and at least for now, maybe forever, won't let you download data (so no GEDMATCH or transfer to FamilyFinder and no way to do genealogical matching at all (not that everyone cares about that, interestingly, so far I've not been able to put a single match from any company onto my tree although I have managed to put three people in just general genealogy FB groups onto my tree)). So it has some negatives compared to the FTDNA run version too.

ArmandoR1b
11-30-2016, 04:45 PM
The ancestry is no worse than MyOrigins, at the worst and it presents it in a much more sensible way.
It offers the nicest mtDNA presentation and nicest Y-haplo presentation of all the companies.

The new US Helix version seems to use less SNPs and at least for now, maybe forever, won't let you download data (so no GEDMATCH or transfer to FamilyFinder and no way to do genealogical matching at all (not that everyone cares about that, interestingly, so far I've not been able to put a single match from any company onto my tree although I have managed to put three people in just general genealogy FB groups onto my tree)). So it has some negatives compared to the FTDNA run version too.MyOrigins is worse than 23andme and Ancestry.com. Presentation means little to me if the results don't align with well documented ancestry or there are a large number of false positives of Y-DNA SNPs. Two big red flags to stay away from the non-U.S. test. I have no problem with people looking negatively on the Helix test either.

Amerijoe
11-30-2016, 05:01 PM
Who is going to be the first penguin?:hungry: