PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Thrace and Sardinia

Teresa
07-09-2016, 10:42 PM
Hi to everyone :)

Can you tell me if there is any evidence of a genetic flow between Sardinia and Thrace in the Bronze Age?

Thanks ;)

sciencediver
07-10-2016, 09:17 AM
I think that if there was any flow of that sort,modern Sardinia would have had a higher Caucasus affinity, but then again I'm just speculating.

Bronze Age Montenegro, for example, had a good chunk of Caucasus affinity:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OTV8TXVV16k/VX337CNaP8I/AAAAAAAABXw/jRtAskcckrk/s1600/Allentoft.PNG

Gravetto-Danubian
07-10-2016, 11:16 AM

Can you tell me if there is any evidence of a genetic flow between Sardinia and Thrace in the Bronze Age?

Thanks ;)

I'm not sure if there was anything specific or direct from Thrace to Sardinia; but as SD suggested, some movements out of Anatolia or near east might have impacted both regions ; but it's difficult to say without much full- genomic aDNA

Southeastern Europe will be very complex, I'm sure, so let's wait and see
Some aDNA is on the way from a couple of teams at least

Jean M
07-10-2016, 11:30 AM

Welcome to the forum Teresa!

We don't have ancient DNA to help us with this, but a study of the modern DNA of Sardinians is extremely interesting.* By looking at the number of mutations that are specific to Sardinians in various Y-DNA lines, it could trace not only the original settlement of Sardinia in the Neolithic, but newcomers in what the authors call the Late Neolithic, but was actually the Balkan Copper Age.

Our data further suggest a more intricate scenario of Sardinian demographic history. Specifically, clades of E, R, and G that show Sardinian specific variability of 25 to 30 SNPs are consistent with further expansion in the Late Neolithic (~5500 to 6000 years ago).

*Paolo Francalacci et al., European Y-Chromosome Phylogeny Low-Pass DNA Sequencing of 1200 Sardinians Reconstructs European Y-Chromosome Phylogeny, Science 341, 565 (2013).

This is reasonably consistent with the copper-working Ozieri culture, which I suggest was fed by a flow of people escaping the crash of the Balkan copper-working cultures c. 4000 BC.

Teresa
07-12-2016, 03:00 PM
I thank you very much for your answers, and your polite welcome :)
The reason of my question is to solve an archeological mystery I'm thinking about in this period.
Maybe you know the Sardinian nuragic sacred wells, dated roughly to middle/end of the Bronze Age. Their architecture shows clear influences from minoic-mycenean culture, being the same of some cisterns found in the Aegean area: the Fons Perseia at Mycenae is a good example.
The difference is that this kind of construction developed in Sardinia the function of a temple for the water cult, as proved by archeological (remains of sacrifices, ex voto...) and folkloric evidences.
There are about thirty known sacred wells in Sardinia. Is there any example of them outside the island? Yes, there is one, in Bulgaria, near the village of Garlo. It is not only similar, but almost identical to the sacred well of Funtana Coperta near Ballao, in Sardinia.

How could this fact be explained?
I have two hypotesis:
1) some Bronze Age Thracians, maybe of the tribe of Sardi/Serdi whence came the name of the town of Serdika (Sofia), went south and joined the Sea Peoples during the Bronze Age collapse, finally ending in the island called at the time Ichnusa and then Sardinia from their name. But some persons decided to return to their fatherland, and brought with them the knowledge to build a sacred well where they settled down.
2) some people from Sardinia joined the Sea Peoples in their raids, finally ending in Thrace where they were then recorded as Sardi/Serdi. They then built a sacred well in the area of actual Garlo.
(There are other similarities that link Sardinia and Bulgaria, but I think they date back to Neolithic/Eneolithic, so I don't write of them here)

The two hypotesis I made (which I find unsatisfactory anyway) need the migration of an amount of people large enough to explain a change of name for my island, or the settlement of a new tribe in Thrace, so a gene flow between the two lands in this period is to be expected.

If you have any other hypotesis, please tell me :D

Gravetto-Danubian
07-12-2016, 03:51 PM
The reason of my question is to solve an archeological mystery I'm thinking about in this period.
Maybe you know the Sardinian nuragic sacred wells, dated roughly to middle/end of the Bronze Age. Their architecture shows clear influences from minoic-mycenean culture, being the same of some cisterns found in the Aegean area: the Fons Perseia at Mycenae is a good example.
The difference is that this kind of construction developed in Sardinia the function of a temple for the water cult, as proved by archeological (remains of sacrifices, ex voto...) and folkloric evidences.
There are about thirty known sacred wells in Sardinia. Is there any example of them outside the island? Yes, there is one, in Bulgaria, near the village of Garlo. It is not only similar, but almost identical to the sacred well of Funtana Coperta near Ballao, in Sardinia.

I have two hypotesis:
1) some Bronze Age Thracians, maybe of the tribe of Sardi/Serdi whence came the name of the town of Serdika (Sofia), went south and joined the Sea Peoples during the Bronze Age collapse, finally ending in the island called at the time Ichnusa and then Sardinia from their name. But some persons decided to return to their fatherland, and brought with them the knowledge to build a sacred well where they settled down.
2) some people from Sardinia joined the Sea Peoples in their raids, finally ending in Thrace where they were then recorded as Sardi/Serdi. They then built a sacred well in the area of actual Garlo.
(There are other similarities that link Sardinia and Bulgaria, but I think they date back to Neolithic/Eneolithic, so I don't write of them here)

The two hypotesis I made (which I find unsatisfactory anyway) need the migration of an amount of people large enough to explain a change of name for my island, or the settlement of a new tribe in Thrace, so a gene flow between the two lands in this period is to be expected.

i very much doubt the Serdi had anything to do with Sardinian Neuragic civilization, becuase they are an Iron Age people. Which means they are not Sea Peoples either.
In fact, I think the entire historicity of 'Sea Peoples' is rather dubious, but something more generalist oriented historians often run with as something which explains certain events without actually explaining them ;)

vettor
07-12-2016, 05:45 PM

I have two hypotesis:

I read this theory
http://www.narit.or.th/en/files/2014JAHHvol17/2014JAHH...17..222T.pdf

and IIRC it is or was part of the new Luwian studies ..............that is , the thracians are the northern neighbours of the "luwians" in Bithnyia ( Anatolia)............the Luwian confederation are now said to represent the sea-peoples ( you say some could be Sardi )...................I have not researched it enough to make a clear comment.
https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com.au/2016/05/the-luwian-civilization-has-appeared.html#uV6mcchBuKjYMdle.97

Jean M
07-12-2016, 05:49 PM

Thank you so much for introducing this topic. It is fascinating. Since you brought it up, I have now read Lyubomir Tsonev and Dimiter Kolev 2014, mentioned on the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_pit_of_Garlo

They say:

The cult of underground water has its origins in Mesopotamia, with the Sumerian god Enki, who was the god of underground water, the god of fertility and the keeper of the world order. Most of these underground water temples are localised to the island of Sardinia .. where between 30 and 40 are known. Beyond this island there are only two isolated examples: one is at Panticapaeum (modern-day Kerch) on the Crimean Peninsula, and the other is at the village of Garlo in Western Bulgaria.

So we have another, which is an added complication.

Jean M
07-12-2016, 06:29 PM
In fact, I think the entire historicity of 'Sea Peoples' is rather dubious

Last night I began reading Eric H. Cline, 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed (2014). http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10185.html

As he says, the old habit of explaining the Bronze Age collapse simply as the work of the "Sea Peoples" has given way to a more complex view, incorporating understanding of natural events such as climate change and their effects on complex societies. However that does not mean that the "Sea Peoples" did not exist.

Naturally, we need to be cautious in the interpretation of the historical evidence about them, as with all historical evidence. Some archaeologists have been known to take that general warning from historians as a red light not to believe any type of written/inscribed evidence at all at any time! :biggrin1: Makes me laugh a lot. As Barry Cunliffe says, there is no such thing as a fact in archaeology. The discipline is all interpretation of the material evidence.

One of the associated migrations that nobody really doubts is being discussed on another thread here: http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?7834-Israel-find-may-help-solve-mystery-of-biblical-Philistines

Gravetto-Danubian
07-12-2016, 07:43 PM
Last night I began reading Eric H. Cline, 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed (2014). http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10185.html

As he says, the old habit of explaining the Bronze Age collapse simply as the work of the "Sea Peoples" has given way to a more complex view, incorporating understanding of natural events such as climate change and their effects on complex societies. However that does not mean that the "Sea Peoples" did not exist.

Naturally, we need to be cautious in the interpretation of the historical evidence about them, as with all historical evidence. Some archaeologists have been known to take that general warning from historians as a red light not to believe any type of written/inscribed evidence at all at any time! :biggrin1: Makes me laugh a lot. As Barry Cunliffe says, there is no such thing as a fact in archaeology. The discipline is all interpretation of the material evidence.

One of the associated migrations that nobody really doubts is being discussed on another thread here: http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?7834-Israel-find-may-help-solve-mystery-of-biblical-Philistines

Yes I think the "Sea Peoples' subsumes opportunistic invasions in wake of collapses, which otherwise had no over-arching connection to each other.
But my main point was that most "Thracian" tribes formed in the immediate pre-Roman, & Roman period. There were no Odrysae or Serdae in 1200 BC, so they're relevance to Bronze Age collapse is essentially zero.

Gravetto-Danubian
07-12-2016, 07:45 PM
We don't have ancient DNA to help us with this, but a study of the modern DNA of Sardinians is extremely interesting.* By looking at the number of mutations that are specific to Sardinians in various Y-DNA lines, it could trace not only the original settlement of Sardinia in the Neolithic, but newcomers in what the authors call the Late Neolithic, but was actually the Balkan Copper Age.

*Paolo Francalacci et al., European Y-Chromosome Phylogeny Low-Pass DNA Sequencing of 1200 Sardinians Reconstructs European Y-Chromosome Phylogeny, Science 341, 565 (2013).

This is reasonably consistent with the copper-working Ozieri culture, which I suggest was fed by a flow of people escaping the crash of the Balkan copper-working cultures c. 4000 BC.

This is interesting. If the in the wake of collapses Balkan copper Age people moved seaward to Sardinia, do you think they could have moved northeast and northwest, overland , also ?

Jean M
07-12-2016, 08:14 PM
This is interesting. If the in the wake of collapses Balkan copper Age people moved seaward to Sardinia, do you think they could have moved northeast and northwest, overland , also ?

To create the Funnel Beaker culture? Yes I say so in Ancestral Journeys. Not that I have any solid evidence for this in the form of a really distinctive aDNA signature, so it's just a suggestion. This is what I say:

The TRB was once seen as the result of local foragers adopting animal husbandry and new technology from their neighbours. This idea has been overturned by studies of ancient DNA. The Funnel Beaker peoples mainly carried mtDNA haplogroups typical of early farmers. Evidently migration spread this new way of life.

Copper axes and luxury wares from the Hungary-Serbia region travelled over 1000 km (620 miles) to the Baltic shore in the early 4th millennium BC. Another link lies in the Funnel Beaker pottery itself. Its decorative patterns were picked out with a paste made of bone. This technique originated in the Carpathian Basin. So the TRB may have been the result of farmers fleeing stricken settlements in the Balkans and Carpathian Basin for the milder climate of Northern Europe in this era. Later innovations such as wheeled vehicles, the plough and wool spinning seem to have fed into Funnel Beaker from its advanced southern neighbour, the Late Cucuteni-Tripolye culture.

Genome-wide comparisons show that a Funnel Beaker female from Sweden and contemporary farmers from Germany, despite being most closely related to early European farmers, had somewhat more hunter gatherer ancestry. The same is true of their probable source population in Hungary, and indeed farmers in Spain between 4000 and 3000 BC. It seems that as farmers extended their territory, they absorbed some of the foragers who were being pushed to the fringes and ultimately to the extinction of their way of life.

Gravetto-Danubian
07-12-2016, 08:24 PM
To create the Funnel Beaker culture? Yes I say so in Ancestral Journeys. Not that I have any solid evidence for this in the form of a really distinctive aDNA signature, so it's just a suggestion. This is what I say:

I think it possible !
I think some also moved toward C-T
Let's wait and see

Teresa
07-13-2016, 10:50 PM
But my main point was that most "Thracian" tribes formed in the immediate pre-Roman, & Roman period. There were no Odrysae or Serdae in 1200 BC, so they're relevance to Bronze Age collapse is essentially zero.

Mmmmm... how can you be sure of it? Of course there is no record of such tribes before the Iron Age, because they dwelt far from Bronze Age literate populations. But they could exist as well. Or not?

So we have another, which is an added complication.

OMG!
If you can find a photo or anything else let me know, I've found nothing online :(

Thank you all for the comments :)

eastara
07-14-2016, 08:42 AM
During the early to middle Bronze age the Balkans (at least what is now Bulgaria) was under 2 different influences.
Using the funeral practices, those South of the Balkan mountains used "flat" graves and their culture was the one common in West Anatolia(Troy), Greece and the Aegean island.
However North of the Balkan mountains there is clear evidence of the tumuli(kurgans) typical for the Yamnaya people.
I think the Thracian are obviouslly connected to the steppe Bronze cultures as they were horse worshippers and practices kurgan burials.
The Garlo temple is connected to the Minoan Aegean cultures and possibly the ""sea people". Some other archaeological evidence around this area of Bulgaria suggests this is not a coincidence. The reason could be the old mines and metalworking during the Bronze age and those who built the temple could be skilled people who migrated to the region to exploit the mines.
See more photos on the Bulgarian Wikipedia version.
https://bg.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%93%D1%8A%D1%80%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%BD%D1%81%D0%BA%D 0%B8_%D1%85%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%BC-%D0%BA%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B5%D1%86

Teresa
07-14-2016, 11:12 PM
Jean M, about the Crimean well it seems to be the asclepeion of Panticapaeum, a IV century b.C. temple. Similar but not so much. Anyway, I didn't find any picture of it.

Eastara, of course the well of Garlo is connected with the Aegean culture, like the wells in Sardinia. But the difference is that only the Garlo's and Sardinia's wells had a cultual function, as proved by remains of animal sacrifices performed with a (double) axe. And moreover there is the fact that the structure and measures of the wells of Garlo and Funtana Coberta are almost identical, as the Sardinian engineer Massimo Rassu stated after visiting Garlo. Here is the link to what he wrote (in Italian) http://www.massimorassu.it/portal/secondo/13Bulgaria.htm

Baltimore1937
07-15-2016, 06:11 AM
Why ignore female mtDNA haplogroups? U5b3 is prominent in Sardinia, with U5b2 also present. Back in the LGM, Sardinia and Corsica were connected to the mainland (Italy).

Teresa
07-15-2016, 08:05 PM
Why ignore female mtDNA haplogroups? U5b3 is prominent in Sardinia, with U5b2 also present. Back in the LGM, Sardinia and Corsica were connected to the mainland (Italy).

Can you connect it with a Bronze Age migration?

An earlier connection is detectable, both by genic correspondences, as you suggest, and by folkloric material: let's take a look at the Kukeri (expecially those of Breznik)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etc95eU7LlA

and the Mamuthones of Mamoiada (and other related masks, many villages have their one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hpvYmSrnW0

Gravetto-Danubian
07-31-2016, 03:29 AM
Mmmmm... how can you be sure of it? Of course there is no record of such tribes before the Iron Age, because they dwelt far from Bronze Age literate populations. But they could exist as well. Or not?

Sorry for late reply, i was on holiday

That was not my point, for if it was i would be claiming that if someone doesn't exist in historical records, then they don't exist at all; which would obviously be a ludicrous proposition

Rather the point i was trying to impress is that the process of polito- & ethnogenesis is a dynamic and fluctuant one, and both ethnographic data (eg the colonilistic impact on 'native tribes' in America & Africa), and re-analysis of ancient European tribes casts doubt on the old notions that tribes like 'Thracians', "Illyrians' & Celts formed in a linear, longue duree manner, since the Early Bronze. That is, an increasingly dated view (but one which is still seen amongst non-specialist historians and some eastern European scholars) was that Thracian tribes formed when a certain IE branch invaded future-Thrace, blendes with natives, and steadily progressed from there. This is correct only at a general level, in that we can agree that the 'biological' building blocks of future Thracian tribes were more or less formed by the Bronze Age.

However, there was no such thing as "Serdi" or "Odrysae" in the Bronze Age. I can wage my house on that;), because there was no centralised, chiefdom-come-kingdom type polities in Bronze Age Thracia. Instead, it might be characterised as containing egalitarian, or perhaps heterarchical communities of semi-pastoralists. There is probably little political - constitutional continuity between later polities like the Odryase and Serdi and any Bronze Age forebears, with rifts occuring after the Bronze Age, and new formation clearly evident in the archaeological record, such as shifts in settlement patters, agglomeration , and (most of all) development of heirarchy. The encroachment of Persia, Macedonian expansion, Greek colonists, and (later) Rome was instrumental in catalyzing such developments by enciting competition and unequal and privillaged access to 'exotic' goods, not to mention military support and alliances.

But i cant do justice to it in a few lines. You'd need to become familiar with the theoretical underpinnings and then apply it to special cases, such as the Serdici. Ive not seen anything about the Serdi specifically, but for the Odrysae see the PhD below. I guess the take home message is many of the "tribes' listed by Roman and Greek sources were very recent formations, and have nothing directly to do with the bronze Age, let alone the "Sea Peoples' , which was constructed by much earlier scholarship in an attempt to construct a sort of one-answer-fits -all theory for why the "Bronze Age collapse" occurred. Now that we have far more excavations and better chronology, we know that the BA collapse has been over-trumped in many cases, and each individual region needs to be analysed on its own merit (eg the events in Greece were rather different to Anatolia, or Egypt). Ultimately, some nebulous, if at all existent, "Sea Peoples' were not the cause of the wide-spread changes c 2200 BC.

See: "The Valley of the Kings? Social Complexity of Inland Thrace during the First Millennium BC" by Adela Sobotkova

And "Contesting Identities of pre-Roman Illyricum' D Dzino

Both available online, otherwise Id be happy to email them

Teresa
08-01-2016, 03:12 PM
However, there was no such thing as "Serdi" or "Odrysae" in the Bronze Age. I can wage my house on that, because there was no centralised, chiefdom-come-kingdom type polities in Bronze Age Thracia. Instead, it might be characterised as containing egalitarian, or perhaps heterarchical communities of semi-pastoralists.

Yes, that's okay, and I agree on your speech about the complexity of developement of tribes formation, but I am not trying to say that the structure of the tribes, and their relationships among themselves and a centralized power, was already established in Bronze Age and did not change in Iron Age. I am hypothesizing that one of the semi-pastoralist peoples you spoke of did call themselves "Sardi" or "Serdi", and that that the ethnonym managed to reach Iron Age somehow.
Also an hypothesis is that the Sardi were among the Sea Peoples, whatever they would have (not) been or done :P, because of the name š3rdn reported in Egyptian documents.
Any proof of these conjectures? Of course not. We have just the nuragic-style site of el-Ahwat to support the idea of the š3rdn being the Sardi of Sardinia.
And a mysterious well near Garlo waiting for explanation :lol:

See: "The Valley of the Kings? Social Complexity of Inland Thrace during the First Millennium BC" by Adela Sobotkova

And "Contesting Identities of pre-Roman Illyricum' D Dzino

Thanks, I will look for them ;)

Fatherland
08-17-2016, 05:40 PM
I think that if there was any flow of that sort,modern Sardinia would have had a higher Caucasus affinity, but then again I'm just speculating.

Bronze Age Montenegro, for example, had a good chunk of Caucasus affinity:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OTV8TXVV16k/VX337CNaP8I/AAAAAAAABXw/jRtAskcckrk/s1600/Allentoft.PNG

Bronze Age Montenegro is closest to Albania of today in terms of autosomal.

Finn
05-05-2017, 05:59 PM

Dear Jean, about TRB and the Balkans. I'am from North Dutch stock and just run the Eurogenes K36. Result: very typical NW German ( 'Anglo-Saxon') but with a relative high East-Balkan component! North Dutch was a typical TRB hotspot. An old residu!?
http://i67.tinypic.com/350jlax.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funnelbeaker_culture

Hathor
10-27-2017, 05:18 PM

I have two hypotesis:

There are more than fifty sacred wells in Sardinia, not just thirty, also the notion that said structures were influenced by Mycenean architecture is really disputable, as the oldest examples of Nuragic holy wells are at least as old as the Mycenean cistern, and are also more widespread, whereas there are only a few isolated examples of such structures in the Eastern Mediterranean, not to mention the structures have completely different purposes.

A migration from Thrace to Sardinia is really unlikely since there is no material evidence to support it, and if anything the more likely of the two "migration hypothesis" would be the one about Sardinians settling in Bulgaria, because the Nuragic well temple is widespread in Sardinia, whereas there's only one isolated well in Bulgaria, so it'd be more reasonable to conclude the structure originated when it is commonly found, together with hundreds of other complex tholos structures, and not in Bulgaria, where there's just one example of tholos structure during that period.

Furthermore the dating of the Bulgarian holy well isn't even certain, I remember reading it's dating is debatable and it could be much more recent than the LBA, while the earliest Nuragic holy wells were certainly built in the LBA.