PDA

View Full Version : Ancient mtDNA from Early and Late Neolithic in Europe

GailT
04-16-2013, 05:36 AM
I have not heard any news yet on the new work from Haak et al on full mtDNA genomes from Neolithic Europe, but I suspect that the Adler dissertation might provide a good preview of the results from the new study, from page 4 of the abstract:

Haplogroup distributions suggest that Palaeolithic mtDNA haplogroups which were infrequent in the Early Neolithic, such as haplogroups H and U, became more frequent during the Late Neolithic.

It is interesting that they classify H and U as paleolithic, given that Behar et al. estimate H to be about 13,000 years old, and U to be about 46,000 years old. I don't know how they can square that circle - it will be interesting to see if the full sequences provide an explanation. In any case, it's a very impressive body of work in the thesis.

More discussion of this topic over at the molgen forum...

Jean M
04-16-2013, 10:04 AM
That thesis is not new. The data from it is in my compendium of Ancient Western Eurasian DNA (http://www.buildinghistory.org/distantpast/ancientdna.shtml). I remember thinking when I came across it last year that these results could lie behind comments on multiple waves into Central Europe in a lecture by Spencer Wells at Family Tree DNA's 7th International Conference on Genetic Genealogy in November 2011.

A paper is coming next year on ancient DNA research "transecting time", including information on farmers replacing hunter gatherers in Central Germany and mtDNA Haplogroup U5, which Spencer called "the hunter-gatherer haplogroup". They found different frequencies of haplogroups from samples at different layers.
http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.com/2011/11/family-tree-dnas-7th-international.html

J Man
04-16-2013, 02:25 PM
I have not heard any news yet on the new work from Haak et al on full mtDNA genomes from Neolithic Europe, but I suspect that the Adler dissertation might provide a good preview of the results from the new study, from page 4 of the abstract:

It is interesting that they classify H and U as paleolithic, given that Behar et al. estimate H to be about 13,000 years old, and U to be about 46,000 years old. I don't know how they can square that circle - it will be interesting to see if the full sequences provide an explanation. In any case, it's a very impressive body of work in the thesis.

More discussion of this topic over at the molgen forum...

Gail is the discussion about this over at MOLGEN the thread about the Unetice culture mtDNA?

GailT
04-17-2013, 03:05 AM
Jean - yes, I saw that you had discussed the paper, but I hadn't downloaded the thesis til now. I'm impatient to see the new Haak et al. full genome results, I assume it will be mostly the same samples reported in this paper.

Gail is the discussion about this over at MOLGEN the thread about the Unetice culture mtDNA?

Yes, same discussion.

GailT
04-18-2013, 04:20 AM
I looked at the Adler results reported for the U5 samples in the Corded Ware and Unetice cultures, and I can't say much about them given that only part of the HVR1 results are available. The ones that are reported as U5a1a can only be reliable identified as U5a1.

There is one sample (reported as U5a1a) that might be identified more specifically as "U5a1f Group 2"

QUEVIII 7 Unetice C16192T C16222T C16256T C16270T A16399G

We have three modern samples in this group, one person from Ukraine and two from Russia, including GU296603 from the 2010 Malyarchuk et al paper on U5. The age estimate of U5a1f Group 2 is about 6000 ybp, so it is older than the Unetice culture and could have been present there.

GailT
04-18-2013, 04:30 PM
It appears that publication of the Neolithic H samples is imminent:

Brotherton P*, Haak W*, Templeton J, Brandt G, Soubrier J, Adler CJ, Richards SM, Der Sarkissian C, Ganslmeier R, Friederich S, Dresely V, van Oven M, Kenyon R, Van der Hoek M, Korlach J, Luong K, Ho SYW, Quintana-Murci L, Behar DM, Meller H, Alt KW, Cooper A & The Genographic Project (in press, accepted 02/2013) Neolithic mitochondrial haplogroup H genomes and the genetic origins of Europeans. Nature Communications.

Jean M
04-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Bernard S. has posted an analysis of Adler 2012 on his blog in French: Discontinuité génétique en Europe Centrale entre le néolithique et l'âge du Bronze (http://secherbernard.blog.free.fr/index.php?post/2013/04/16/Discontinuit%C3%A9-g%C3%A9n%C3%A9tique-en-Europe-Centrale-entre-le-n%C3%A9olithique-et-l-%C3%A2ge-du-Bronze)