PDA

View Full Version : Question - lack of paternal relatives? Am I "reading" this wrong?? FTDNA

Cyrianne
07-15-2016, 10:31 PM
I am wondering if anyone can explain this. I am trying to figure my paternal side further.

I have done testing on 23&me - 9/10 people are maternal. Either paternal's maternal or my maternal's side. I have the 1 off as those not partaking as relative finder can't be IDed but the overwhelmingly majority have absolutely no paternal relation as per what we have paper documentation of.

So I moved onto FTDNA

FTDNA puts my "closest" paternal relative as Y-111 at 4 Genetic Distance which indicates 6th+ cousins https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/y-dna-testing/y-str/two-men-share-surname-genetic-distance-111-y-chromosome-str-markers-interpreted/ if sharing the same surname [we don't]. We're not even remotely similar locationwise for ancestors.

My question is, what has more merit. Y-111 is long "distance" relation right? So does that mean Big Y is more "modern" or more generalized? And Known SNP difference = 0 would be closer correct?

I am asking as the frustrating thing, is seems that no one I've been in contact with from Y-111 took the Big Y despite saying they would. So I am trying to narrow down with half the facts seeing as no one between the Big Y / Y-111 overlaps.

wombatofthenorth
07-17-2016, 12:34 AM
Y-matches only match along a single paternal line and just a few gens back you have 32 lines alone from that side

One 23 you may have many more maternal if your maternal side comes from a well tested area, say Colonial US roots or well tested and uniform, Ashkenazi/French Canadian and that can overwhelm the results if your paternal side was from somewhre else.

Cyrianne
07-17-2016, 09:14 AM
Y-matches only match along a single paternal line and just a few gens back you have 32 lines alone from that side

One 23 you may have many more maternal if your maternal side comes from a well tested area, say Colonial US roots or well tested and uniform, Ashkenazi/French Canadian and that can overwhelm the results if your paternal side was from somewhre else.

I am aware of such, hence why I am asking specific FTDNA questions.

Otherwise, if I was to 'read between the lines', one could make the claim that DNA is so vague it's in a way useless beyond general genetic assumptions.

GTC
07-17-2016, 11:44 AM
FTDNA puts my "closest" paternal relative as Y-111 at 4 Genetic Distance which indicates 6th+ cousins https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/y-dna-testing/y-str/two-men-share-surname-genetic-distance-111-y-chromosome-str-markers-interpreted/ if sharing the same surname [we don't]. We're not even remotely similar locationwise for ancestors.

My question is, what has more merit. Y-111 is long "distance" relation right? So does that mean Big Y is more "modern" or more generalized? And Known SNP difference = 0 would be closer correct?

In very general terms SNP matches show distant relations and STR matches are more recent. One way of thinking about it is that SNPs form the trunk and branches of the tree and STRs form the twigs and leaves.

Of course, "distant" and "recent" are relative terms, and mean different periods/eras for different cases.

Testing to 111 markers and doing Big Y are pretty good ways of getting as close as you can to potential matches -- as long as they have also done those actual tests.

I have done both of those tests (among others) and my Big Y results place me closest to a man with a variant of my surname, who is also my closet match at 111 markers. 'Close' in my case is a GD of 16. From best-guess calculations of haplogroup ages for our Big Y results, we appear to share a common ancestor around 800 AD.

We won't be able find a more recent common ancestor until more men do the Big Y.

I am asking as the frustrating thing, is seems that no one I've been in contact with from Y-111 took the Big Y despite saying they would. So I am trying to narrow down with half the facts seeing as no one between the Big Y / Y-111 overlaps.

It's indeed frustrating when potential matches won't test deeper, for whatever reason. Some of us have had to pay for that testing, but that requires a response from the "target" and even that can be difficult to obtain.

MacUalraig
07-17-2016, 01:50 PM
I am wondering if anyone can explain this. I am trying to figure my paternal side further.

I have done testing on 23&me - 9/10 people are maternal. Either paternal's maternal or my maternal's side. I have the 1 off as those not partaking as relative finder can't be IDed but the overwhelmingly majority have absolutely no paternal relation as per what we have paper documentation of.

So I moved onto FTDNA

'Known SNP difference 0' is not in fact a good indication of your closest matches on the BigY test. You need to look at all the variants either manually or by looking for people on the same branch as you at the YFull tree or Alex Williamson's tree tc.

Saetro
07-17-2016, 08:04 PM
Testing to 111 markers and doing Big Y are pretty good ways of getting as close as you can to potential matches -- as long as they have also done those actual tests.

I have done both of those tests (among others) and my Big Y results place me closest to a man with a variant of my surname, who is also my closet match at 111 markers. 'Close' in my case is a GD of 16. From best-guess calculations of haplogroup ages for our Big Y results, we appear to share a common ancestor around 800 AD.

My closest Y DNA match (STRs) is a similar distance away in time.
But some friends have located cousins with a common ancestor only 3 generations back by the same method.

You could find more cousins with your 23andMe test if you copied the results across to GEDmatch (if you have not already done so).
Then you would be comparing your autosomal results with people who have tested at FTDNA and Ancestry, and who WANT to make contact enough that they have put their results onto GEDmatch.

Cyrianne
07-17-2016, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the responses, makes sense.