PDA

View Full Version : What races are a social construct and what aren't?

MyAnthropologies
07-17-2016, 02:11 PM
There is large disussion of whether or not race is a social construct or not, and i believe some are and some aren't

Here is what are real races to me (which can of course can be broken down to greater ethnicties and specific ethnicities/ethnic groups).

Caucasoid (Europeans, Middle Easterners, caucasoid North Africans, Central Asians, and South Asians.)
Negroids (sub saharan africans and other non-caucasoid africans.)
Mongoliod (East Asians and Native Americans)
Australoid (South Indians, Pacific Islanders, and aboriginal Australians.)

Social Construct

Hispanic/Latino: This is not a race, but a pan ethnic term

Asian: The Asian continent holds three races.

White: Though Europeans share a lot of affinities, this whole "white" thing doesnt have a solid universal definition.

Afshar
07-17-2016, 02:21 PM
Amazes me that people still think there are races, there is no such thing.

MyAnthropologies
07-17-2016, 02:22 PM
Amazes me that people still think there are races, there is no such thing.

What makes you say such?

Afshar
07-17-2016, 02:24 PM
You can sort people in haplogroups but the term races does not exist considering all the populations you mentioned have hg diversity and no common origin.

MyAnthropologies
07-17-2016, 02:29 PM
You can sort people in haplogroups but the term races does not exist considering all the populations you mentioned have hg diversity and no common origin.

On a global PCA chat they will all cluster with or near each other, with the exception of Africans who are understudied. Africans have 10x more genetic diversity than caucasoids do, and even mongoloids have more genetic diversity than caucasoids do and are understudied as well.

Haplogroups on the other hand do not mean much.

Kwheaton
07-17-2016, 05:13 PM
Hi all,
This thread has been brought to my attention and I believe it does not belong within the Genealogy Forum and should be taken to one of the other areas where these ideas are often discussed.
So for that reason I am closing it and not because of the items being discussed.
Here is one potential place to continue the discussion:
http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?7556-The-Complicated-Intersection-Of-Genetics-And-Race&highlight=RAce

Thank you for being civil and I hope you will continue in that vain but under a forum that is more appropriate.
Kelly (Genealogy moderator)

Kwheaton
07-17-2016, 05:14 PM
CLOSED