PDA

View Full Version : Any Body with F Y-DNA Haplogroup here?

jatt2016
07-28-2016, 03:20 AM
Hi Folks,

I had myself tested with 23andme and they have assigned my Haplogroup F on paternal side. I am wondering if anybody else on this forum has this haplogroups.

Anybody?

pasting my assigned haplogroups as below :

https://i.gyazo.com/abd05b4f64dd2ec5ce98f2673e2b9840.png

Thanks and regards,

Jatt2016

The_Lyonnist
07-28-2016, 01:12 PM
Indo-iranian haplogroup.

jatt2016
07-29-2016, 07:42 PM
Indo-iranian haplogroup.

Thank you. F is the father of almost all the descendants Haplogroup GHIJK . F are found mostly in populations speaking Dravidian, Indo-European, Sino-Tibetan and Tibeto-Burman and Turkic languages, throughout Eurasia.

MfA
07-29-2016, 07:47 PM
So Geno2.0 test turned out to be garbage, you can try Fullgenomes to discover your ultimate SNPs if you don't want to try FTDNA again anytime soon.

jatt2016
07-29-2016, 07:59 PM
So Geno2.0 test turned out to be garbage, you can try Fullgenomes to discover your ultimate SNPs if you don't want to try FTDNA again anytime soon.

Yes, a follow up that lasted 2-3 months with Genographic and FTDNA. Please note that Geographic does not own a lab, all raw results data are provided by FTDNA - a joint venture between them. First I was placed in J, then to F, then R , then to H and then to R and so on. What these people Geographic/FTDNA failed to understand was that :

"When assigning your haplogroup, they should look at all of my SNPs. This means that even if I am positive for a mutation for another haplogroup, this does not mean I have this haplogroup assignment. Please keep in mind that individuals can have mutations that are characteristic of several different paternal haplogroups. 23andMe assigned me the haplogroup that I was the most similar to in regards to their reference tree "

Geographic/FTDNA were doing trial and error with my DNA results. They kept assigning me Haplogroups based on isolated tested positive SNPS. Very unprofessional and unsatisfactory. I would not recommend them to friends and people who are interested in ancestry. If you guys want to know your haplogroups with a greater level of certainity , I would strongly recommend 23andme Testing. Better Customer Service, Quality control and a better product. Do not go with FTDNA /Genographic !

fjnj
07-29-2016, 08:22 PM
It appears that you have one of the rare paragroups that illustrates the technical limitation of the chip-based test. You probably should go for the full y-chromosome sequencing.

jatt2016
07-29-2016, 08:30 PM
It appears that you have one of the rare paragroups that illustrates the technical limitation of the chip-based test. You probably should go for the full y-chromosome sequencing.

Thank you. I do not have a deep interest in ancestry and full Y-chromosome sequency is how much ? $ 2,000 that would be a little too much for me!
23andme at least provided the correct haplogroup and addressed my concerns, whereas Geno/FTDNA kept on dodging the issue.

I will post a full thread on my experience with them (Geograpgic/FTDNA) and it will be an eye opener for all those who are interested in Ancestry results.

vettor
07-29-2016, 08:37 PM
Hi Folks,

I had myself tested with 23andme and they have assigned my Haplogroup F on paternal side. I am wondering if anybody else on this forum has this haplogroups.

Anybody?

pasting my assigned haplogroups as below :

https://i.gyazo.com/abd05b4f64dd2ec5ce98f2673e2b9840.png

Thanks and regards,

Jatt2016

This is from 23andme V4

they test for less SNP and if none is found and you sit in a haplogroup further down than F ...........like, L, T, O, N etc you will be designated as F

All T and L tested people in 23andme V4 are now noted as F ...............when they where once L or T in 23andme v3

jatt2016
07-29-2016, 08:48 PM
This is from 23andme V4

they test for less SNP and if none is found and you sit in a haplogroup further down than F ...........like, L, T, O, N etc you will be designated as F

All T and L tested people in 23andme V4 are now noted as F ...............when they where once L or T in 23andme v3

23andme tests for approximately 600,000 – 700,000 SNPs and I believe this is good enough to assign a parent haplogroup correctly if not the sub claude. FTDNA/Geno might test more but their haplo tree is a mess and so are their Haplogroup callers. I have all the screen shots /correspondence saved and I will post a separate thread on my bad experience with them. Overall , a poor testing platform and with lots of mistake/errors that's for genographic and FTDNA.

vettor
07-29-2016, 08:54 PM
23andme tests for approximately 600,000 – 700,000 SNPs and I believe this is good enough to assign a parent haplogroup correctly if not the sub claude. FTDNA/Geno might test more but their haplo tree is a mess and so are their Haplogroup callers. I have all the screen shots /correspondence saved and I will post a separate thread on my bad experience with them.

It was once correct , but since November 2015 when 23andme started making drastic changes to their layout and other things, I have been noted as F haplogroup ( when before I was T )

lgmayka
07-29-2016, 10:02 PM
First I was placed in J, then to F, then R , then to H and then to R and so on.
Ironically, H may have been correct. Recently, many men previously classified as F were moved to H-P96 (https://yfull.com/tree/H-P96/). (The definition of H was enlarged to accommodate this clade.)

fjnj
08-01-2016, 10:22 PM
The problem with Geno2/FtDNA starts with the in-house Ytree used by them. That Y-tree is problematic and many snps were placed at wrong places. The quality control is another issue since they are the new comers to the chip technology, and they have a lot of reads that cannot pass the quality controls.
Although 23andme tests hundreds of thousands of snps, only a few thousands of these snps are on the Y-chromosome, so the resolution is really limited. You may truly belong to F*, and you may not.

Emir
08-03-2016, 02:11 PM
I believe that it is unlikely you are F*, and they will update it once again, probably H.