PDA

View Full Version : Coming soon: A new 23andMe experience

GTC
08-07-2016, 01:18 PM
[email received from 23andMe]

Dear (customer):

An important overview of the new 23andMe experience.

A new 23andMe experience will be ready for you in just a few days. The redesigned experience includes new reports and additional features that will let you share and compare your data with close family and distant relatives.

Here’s a glimpse of what’s new and different.

A different way to share
We’ve changed the way you share data with family and friends. Your sharing data will no longer be found in your individual reports. Instead, they will all be located in a single place -- the new Share and Compare tool. Share and Compare lets you opt-in to compare genetic similarities between you and your family or friends. Learn more: https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en-us/articles/222643527

Archived reports
All of your current 23andMe health reports will be saved in an archive of downloadable PDF documents, so you’ll always have access to them. Learn more: https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en-us/articles/219202567-What-do-I-need-to-know-about-transitioning-to-the-new-23andMe-#reports_archive

Some things are going away
We’ll be removing some of our less popular features from the previous 23andMe experience. For a complete list of what won’t be available in the new experience, click here: https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en-us/articles/222643527

We will email you in the next few days once your new experience is ready...more soon.

(The 23andMe Team )

jortita
08-07-2016, 02:52 PM
As I am based in Thailand and keen to test, would really appreciate if you could please let me know when it would be available in Thailand, thank you

GTC
08-07-2016, 03:54 PM
As I am based in Thailand and keen to test, would really appreciate if you could please let me know when it would be available in Thailand, thank you

Please note that what I quoted was an email sent to existing members, such as I. (I've updated my post to make that clear.)

Your question would be better asked of 23andMe themselves, here: https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

ArmandoR1b
08-07-2016, 04:08 PM

It has been available since October 21, 2015 for new users. https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en-us/articles/211831888-What-s-different-about-the-new-23andMe-

Existing users were supposed to have been migrated by December 31, 2015 according to an email I received in October 2015. We don't have to be restested.

https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en-us/articles/212030818-I-m-a-current-customer-what-do-I-need-to-know-about-the-new-23andMe-

jortita
08-07-2016, 04:37 PM
Sorry GTC, I thought you were a representative of 23andMe, similar to Ray Wu for Wegene

GTC
08-07-2016, 04:44 PM
I took jortit's question to mean when will 23andMe kits be available to customers living in in Thailand.

There used to be a page on the 23andMe site that listed countries it will ship kits to, but that page seem to be unavailable now.

Hence my suggestion that he put his question directly to 23andMe.

GTC
08-07-2016, 04:45 PM
Sorry GTC, I thought you were a representative of 23andMe, similar to Ray Wu for Wegene

No problem.

Anthrogenica's policy is that testing company reps need to identify themselves explicitly as that.

AnnieD
08-07-2016, 06:05 PM
I officially "emigrated" to the new site last week, gaining & losing a few AC % along the way. ;) I generally fall under the ubiquitous mostly early American of mostly British diaspora customer base and was curious (encouraged?) to see my B/I & F/G % slightly increased by way of decreasing "Broadly NW European." Thus far, my detailed Profile from TOE is MIA, but I greatly like the Reports and Traits formats with the options to drill down into Biology, History and "Other Factors."

Thus far, 3 out of 4 Trait predictions are off for me, so either I'm a freak or need to take advantage of their solicitation to participate in their Research process. LOL! B) Overall, it seems that there are enough "toys" or reports & tools to appease the Ancestry genetics set, in spite of losing popular tools such as COA, while the suspected primary mission of advancing health genetics seems evident.

evon
08-07-2016, 06:42 PM
We are still waiting to transition...Allot of our DNA matches have transitioned already though...

leonardo
08-07-2016, 07:04 PM
I haven't seen any changes to my account. I did opt out of the research component. Will this affect my status? To be honest, since the change in philosophy and price, the genetic matches have been few. I have tested with FTDNA and Ancestry DNA as well. I check those often, but 23andMe seldom, because I am not finding many matches worth pursuing. I certainly would not pay $199, if my primary interest is genealogy genetics.

geebee
08-07-2016, 07:31 PM
My account, which includes 10 profiles, continues to say, "We will soon transition your account to the new 23andMe experience." Considering how long it's been "soon", I clearly have a different definition of the word than 23andMe does.

Unfortunately, whenever it happens it will be too soon, as far as I'm concerned. Of course, that's only based on what others have said, and certain features 23andMe itself has said will be discontinued.

geebee
08-07-2016, 07:35 PM
Among the things 23andMe says will be discontinued:

Family Inheritance Genome View

As far as I'm concerned, that has been one of the better features. If they're keeping Family Inheritance Advanced, that's nice; but it doesn't distinguish between fully identical and half identical regions, which is a major drawback when looking at siblings. Six of my ten profiles are full siblings.

wombatofthenorth
08-08-2016, 01:35 AM
Most people greatly dislike the new site compared to the old one.

geebee
08-08-2016, 01:41 AM

That has been my impression from reading other people's posts, and I'm not in any real hurry to get "The New Experience". They keep telling me "soon", and I keep wanting to send back a message saying "take your time".

leonardo
08-08-2016, 11:00 AM

Especially if you are interested in the genetics for the purpose of genealogical matches, over the health reports. The again, if you are new to 23andMe, you don't know what is now missing.

swid
08-26-2016, 01:40 PM
I (a V2 chip customer) was transitioned to the new site this morning.

Hanna
08-26-2016, 01:56 PM
My aunts account was renewed but mine wasn't.

tippy
08-26-2016, 02:20 PM
Haven't been moved across yet but I'm sort of glad. The list of things they are removing is about 10 miles long, they seem to be adding two things and I'm not excited about either one.

23andme's analysis isn't that interesting anyway. better to use the free DIY tools out there with the raw data that they give you.

evon
08-26-2016, 02:24 PM
I (a V2 chip customer) was transitioned to the new site this morning.

Still waiting :(

GTC
08-26-2016, 02:30 PM
I'm also a V2 chipper and I was transitioned not long after receipt of the email at the top of this thread.

I don't know what basis they are using for the transition schedule. Maybe it's alphabetical by surname? Maybe client number / date of joining?

MitchellSince1893
08-26-2016, 04:25 PM
Just got the new 23andme today. Will look at it more tonight.

wandering_amorite
08-26-2016, 05:02 PM
One of the few relevant things I learned — that I'm a carrier for Canavan disease — is no longer even reported. I can't imagine that had to do with FDA compliance. They still report carrier status for similar conditions, but decided to prune the list ... for design reasons? Shameful.

GTC
08-27-2016, 05:17 AM
One of the few relevant things I learned — that I'm a carrier for Canavan disease — is no longer even reported. I can't imagine that had to do with FDA compliance. They still report carrier status for similar conditions, but decided to prune the list ... for design reasons? Shameful.

I guess you could try emailing them for an answer. I've never tried corresponding directly with 23andMe so I don't have a feel for their propensity to respond to such individual inquiries.

A Norfolk L-M20
08-27-2016, 06:25 AM
My understanding is that only USA customers have been transferred, the V4 USA customers first, and that all non USA customers will be waiting for some time yet, before we follow, if at all. I listened to a lecture last year by an American genetic genealogist that seemed quite angry that his older chip tests were still not transferred, oblivious to the fact that none of his audience here in the UK had been transferred, and were much further back in the queue.
Have I got this wrong?

evon
08-27-2016, 10:54 AM
My understanding is that only USA customers have been transferred, the V4 USA customers first, and that all non USA customers will be waiting for some time yet, before we follow, if at all. I listened to a lecture last year by an American genetic genealogist that seemed quite angry that his older chip tests were still not transferred, oblivious to the fact that none of his audience here in the UK had been transferred, and were much further back in the queue.
Have I got this wrong?

I think this has been a rumor all along, but I have seen people among my relative list who are not US based and they have been transferred, and some members on here who were not V3 have been transferred also, so I think everybody will be transferred, but some may be slower than others for some reason.. I suspect those of us who have accounts with multiple people on it will have to wait, while those with a single person in their account will be moved first..

leonardo
08-27-2016, 11:02 AM
Mine changed about a week ago. There are new features I prefer, but some things related to genealogy are more difficult to locate. The search feature has changed too. It seems harder to search for people. For example, The Share and Compare feature is unwieldy.

MacEochaidh
08-28-2016, 05:55 PM
I get an email each month informing me I'm about to be switched over to the "new experience" . I will get another email in September. Cetainly, I will never actually be switched over to the "new experience", but I will get the email each month.

23andMe is an obsolete company to me. It has no more meaning to me than deCODEme. When people ask me about 23andMe I tell them they committed suicide.

vettor
08-28-2016, 06:03 PM
I get an email each month informing me I'm about to be switched over to the "new experience" . I will get another email in September. Cetainly, I will never actually be switched over to the "new experience", but I will get the email each month.

23andMe is an obsolete company to me. It has no more meaning to me than deCODEme. When people ask me about 23andMe I tell them they committed suicide.

I used to get this "informing system" until May then I stopped getting these emails .....................I still have not been transferred.

evon
08-28-2016, 06:33 PM

Similar story here, I stopped testing with them after they started with V4. The last year though has been a disaster for them, wonder if they will be around in a few years or vanish like Decodeme...

ancestryfan1994
08-28-2016, 07:00 PM
Ive given up on 23andme the company itself, and that says a lot about genetic testing companies, because they're still by far the best one out of the big three when it comes to learning about your ancestry. But ever since they announced the new changes, it's become a rotting place that's slowly fading. If people are just generally interested in their ancestry, i still say test with 23andme, because their ancestry composition still makes FTDNA and ancestryDNA look like novice works. But the main stuff will always come from the raw data, which if used with the correct methods, can get you academic standard input on your ancestry. The analysis that people like davidski sometimes runs come to mind, or if your lucky enough to find a reputable scientist in the academics field who strikes an interest in your personal family history, this is where the best information is extracted. Thats just my personal opinion.

GTC
08-29-2016, 02:28 AM
My understanding is that only USA customers have been transferred,

Not true in my case.

Táltos
08-29-2016, 03:38 AM
Not true in my case.

Same here. All of my kits sit in purgatory.

GTC
08-29-2016, 12:29 PM
Same here. All of my kits sit in purgatory.

To be clear: I have been transferred and I'm not in the USA.

Cinnamon orange
08-29-2016, 01:48 PM
I was transferred and just took a look today, though the transfer happened a few days ago. I can still use the old site so far for the community area, which I like.
My opinion of the new site is as far as the DNA bit, it is preferable to Ancestrys product which is pretty useless unless bundled into the subscription geneology component.

Táltos
08-30-2016, 03:09 AM
To be clear: I have been transferred and I'm not in the USA.

Thanks. Yes I read that wrong. I was thinking at the time too that you were not in the USA. I must have been getting tired reading!

MfA
09-21-2016, 06:45 PM
New 23andMe Experience – In a Word, Disappointing (https://dna-explained.com/2016/09/21/new-23andme-experience-in-a-word-disappointing/) by Roberta Estes

SWAHILLI_PRINCE16
10-03-2016, 11:02 PM
23andMe is ridiculous why cant they show care to the non US users by bringing out something new like an update on the old site for occupying customers? 23andMe is beyond dead.

Elizabeth
10-18-2016, 01:09 AM
I don't like the new 23andMe. I can't get to the community/forum.

I'm on the V2, from the USA.

evon
12-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Anybody else still stuck on the old platform..? I fear that I might not be transferred to the new platform until mid 2017..

MfA
12-05-2016, 05:11 PM
Anybody else still stuck on the old platform..? I fear that I might not be transferred to the new platform until mid 2017..

I'm still on the old platform, not sure if it's good or bad though, given the compliances of "the new experience" users.

evon
12-05-2016, 05:24 PM
I'm still on the old platform, not sure if it's good or bad though, given the compliances of "the new experience" users.

Well, I am barely getting new matches now and I cannot share with half of them..So anything is better than that..but good to know it is not just me...