PDA

View Full Version : * Confirmed to be DF49 and awaiting further results (YSEQ) *

mrrstrat
08-13-2016, 03:53 PM
This is kind of exciting: not only does my family get to find out our family ancestry legends are UNTRUE but we get to find out in detail where the lineage links to.

The journey has taken us from R1b-L21 to now DF13-->DF49. YSEQ is performing the Northwest Irish panel now as we speak.

Being new to DNA genetics, what is the implication of being NW Irish? I am negative thru 23andme for M222.

Does DF49 mean inclusion to what is called Irish Type I?

MacUalraig
08-13-2016, 04:21 PM
This is kind of exciting: not only does my family get to find out our family ancestry legends are UNTRUE but we get to find out in detail where the lineage links to.

The journey has taken us from R1b-L21 to now DF13-->DF49. YSEQ is performing the Northwest Irish panel now as we speak.

Being new to DNA genetics, what is the implication of being NW Irish? I am negative thru 23andme for M222.

North west Irish is one of the old names for what was later identified as M222 but I would take the moniker with a pinch of salt. DF49 is millenia older than M222 and so much harder to pin down in terms of origins.

dp
08-13-2016, 04:30 PM
Glad to see another DF49xM222. I'm off a brother branch of M222, more like a small burl, or nub.
dp :-)

mrrstrat
08-14-2016, 04:18 AM
I guess I am asking what does being in DF49 mean - Northwest Irish?

David Mc
08-14-2016, 05:47 AM
I guess I am asking what does being in DF49 mean - Northwest Irish?

Welcome to the club, mrrstrat! You ask a great question, but it's one that isn't easily answered yet. As MacUalraig pinted out, DF49 is very old. It's widely but thinly distributed across the British Isles, and can't easily be described as belonging to a particular region. If you manage to define things a bit more you might get a clearer picture, but you might not. We need far more people to do what you've done (and thank you for pursuing this, by the way). The more people who test and define their terminal SNP's the better idea we'll have as to the origins of the different groups.

That said, there has been a fair amount of speculation as to where DF49xM222 comes from. I'm particularly keen to see how many DF49's we find on the continent... if you look at some of the earlier threads you'll see where I've been speculating. It's very possible that DF49 is a primarily British subclade, though. If it is it seems to be mostly (but not solely) weighted towards the western parts of Britain. Some think that it (or at least the M222 branch of it) brought the La Tene culture to Ireland, either from Britain or the continent. Again, this is all speculation. The best thing that could happen is it could pop up in ancient DNA. The next best thing (and probably just as necessarily) is that as more people test positive and pursue their terminal SNPs and we get a sense of how it may have traveled across Europe and/or the Isles.

jdean
08-14-2016, 09:13 AM

Have you had any STR testing done and if so could you share your results please.

mrrstrat
08-14-2016, 02:21 PM
I am having the R1b-21 Superclade testing done by YSEQ in Berlin because I came up as a L21* with the 23andMe testing.

As you know, 23andMe does not do deep subclade testing but knowing which panel I needed made it east to get a deep subclade test at a good price ($99 USD).

YSEQ states that on their testing that they consider the testing complete when they 'find a terminal subclade' (and from what I hear they are rather up to date).

Thomas at YSEQ told me they would find what my group is under L21* and the early results were that I am DF49* - they then perform the NW Irish Panel (w/M222) testing to find the final subclade under DF49 I belong to.

This is very interesting to my family as the family surname is Rogers - if the resulting subclade turns out to be 100% Irish then the mystery of where the surname came from surfaces. Was there a distant relative adopted or changed name?

It's like a CSI plot with all the major players dead and gone and only being able to be solved with DNA.

mrrstrat
08-14-2016, 02:23 PM
I am waiting for the results of the DF49* Northwest Irish (including M222) panel testing and will post my results.

mrrstrat
08-15-2016, 02:39 AM
And: YSEQ will provide STR results I will make available too.

jdean
08-15-2016, 06:12 PM
And: YSEQ will provide STR results I will make available too.

Thanks didn't know Thomas was now doing STRs as well, can you provide a list of the ones you'll be covered for ?

mrrstrat
08-16-2016, 01:23 AM
I bought the L21 Superclade test and they ran that one (resulting in DF49). They are now running the North Irish panel (including M222) test.
I believe they check for 900 known subclades in the complete battery of tests I bought. They also appear to provide STR information as well.
As soon as I know something I will gladly make the results available :-)
I cannot wait - the suspense is killing me!

brimcmike
08-16-2016, 04:08 PM
Welcome, mrrstrat,
It may be that you will test negative for M222 as you did previously. Then you will be left amongst our currently rag-tag bunch. Some of the answers about who we are, and where do we come from also come from appropriate participants getting the more extensive & expensive next generation sequencing (NGS) done. There are still branches under DF49xM222 that have not been fully elaborated, mine for instance. There are localities (e.g., Galloway, apparently) that are relatively undertested so far.

There are questions of origin(s), migration(s), settlement(s), emigration(s) & resettlement(s).
I'm uncertain about material culture and technology transmission being discreetly associated with a certain haplogroup (I think it would more likely be certain but somewhat fluid constellations of haplogroups). One thing to remember about the culture and technology of the Atlantic Proto-Celts/Celts is they had boats and knew how to use them. To them the sea was not a barrier, it was a highway.

My current pet hypothesis is that DF49 and subclades originated on Great Britain and migrated/were displaced northward, and settled mainly in what was to become northern Roman Britian, intervallate and southern barbarian Britain. I think from there the progenitors of M222 arose, emigrated to NW Ireland and repopulated it after some catastrophic Irish population collapse just after the beginning of the common era, and with back and forth travel/emigration/immigration between Ireland and Great Britain http://thescotsirish.blogspot.com/2013/08/ulster-and-scottish-lowlands-genetic.html

I think that Anglo-Saxon conquest and expansion by West Saxons, Anglians and Mercians pushed Romano-Britons west and compelled emigration to Brittany (I think I see a few haplotypes in the Brittany / Bretagne Project that might test DF49+). I also think that Anglo-Saxon conquest and expansion by Northumbrians pushed Britons of the Old North west and compelled emigration to Britonia in Gallaecia, in northern Iberia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britonia (present-day Portugal and Spain - hence our Rodigues and Rodriguez participants. I think I see several more haplotypes in the much larger Iberian Project that might test DF49+).

Of course, there's always the travelling salesman, trader, sailor, soldier, slave that could account for outlier localizations. We just have to keep growing our numbers to be able to see what's a fluke and what's a trend.

mrrstrat
08-16-2016, 06:57 PM
YSEQ verified that I am negative for M222:

M222 ChrY 14902414 14902414 G-

So that means something in between DF49 and M222 on the tree - I knew I was negative for M222 with 23andMe but now see where this takes us :-)

MacEochaidh
08-16-2016, 11:26 PM
YSEQ verified that I am negative for M222:

M222 ChrY 14902414 14902414 G-

So that means something in between DF49 and M222 on the tree - I knew I was negative for M222 with 23andMe but now see where this takes us :-)

The big SNPs on the line from DF49XM222 are DF23 and Z2961.

jdean
08-17-2016, 12:13 AM
The big SNPs on the line from DF49XM222 are DF23 and ZP2961.

Don't forget ZP20, it's a pretty broad branch !!

dp
08-17-2016, 06:54 PM
The big SNPs on the line from DF49XM222 are DF23 and ZP2961.

With having both Z's and ZP's SNP prefixed labels downstream of DF49 it's easy to get the labeling confused. You meant Z2961.

brimcmike
08-19-2016, 01:23 AM
So, mrrstrat, do you have your terminal DF49xM222 SNP figured out?

Have you joined the FTDNA DF49 and Subclades Project (https://www.familytreedna.com/public/R-DF49)?
In case you haven't seen the latest iteration of the DF49xM222 haplotree (courtesy of jdean), scroll down the page a little, and Voilą!

BTW, some of what I parrotted above comes from this interesting paper: The phylogenealogy of R-L21:four and a half millennia of expansion and redistribution (http://www.academia.edu/24686284/The_phylogenealogy_of_R-L21_four_and_a_half_millennia_of_expansion_and_red istribution) by Joe Flood (https://www.linkedin.com/in/joe-flood-63a41551), a mathematician, analyst and polyglot.

I would add that we're not anywhere near done with branching out ZP148. Down the ZP179-ZP186 branch, after Rodrigues branching off on ZP 181, Caldwell and I still share 7 SNPs between us. I am currently saving up to have NGS testing performed on the kit of my most STR-divergent ZP148+ McMichael cousin (https://www.familytreedna.com/public/McMichaelMacMichaelSurname?iframe=yresults) - I have 9 high-quality, private SNPs, some if not all I hope to validate. Caldwell has private SNPs awaiting validation, too. Then there's the 8 SNPs shared by Doherty and Reynolds on the ZP171-ZP178 branch. I assume they have private SNPs awaiting validation, too, et seq. I think ZP148 will start to look rather bushy in the not-too-distance future.
:beerchug:

That beer chug emoji might as well become my sig, I use it at the drop of hat.
At least I'm not doing it alone.

Sląinte mhath!

mrrstrat
08-19-2016, 03:06 AM
Some results are in: thus far it's R-P312/S116 > L21/S145 > DF13 > Z39589 > DF49/S474 > Z2980 > Z2976 > DF23 > Z2961.

mrrstrat
08-19-2016, 03:11 AM
More results are to come yet as they did not find the terminal subclade yet. Also they have not published my STR results yet.

Dubhthach
08-19-2016, 10:08 AM
Some results are in: thus far it's R-P312/S116 > L21/S145 > DF13 > Z39589 > DF49/S474 > Z2980 > Z2976 > DF23 > Z2961.

Useful chart from DF49 project to give you an idea of the phylogeny
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10258680/Draft_DF49xM222_Tree%20v23.png

JamesKane
08-19-2016, 11:21 AM
Also they have not published my STR results yet.

Did you order the Alpha and/or Beta package as well? I'm not aware of any of the R-L21 downstream panels containing STRs.

mrrstrat
08-19-2016, 12:52 PM
Maybe they don't offer STRs with my L21 Superclade panel test: I see the link in my account to click on for STRs and nothing comes up yet. The same was true for my alleles before they started to publish my results.

mrrstrat
09-02-2016, 05:25 PM
So now we are at : R-P312/S116 > L21/S145 > DF13 > Z39589 > DF49/S474 > Z2980 > Z2976 > DF23 > Z2961 > ZZ29 > Z17591 (ZP69)

What geographical path does ZP69 often take someones heritage? That is most likely country of origin.

jdean
09-02-2016, 05:39 PM
So now we are at : R-P312/S116 > L21/S145 > DF13 > Z39589 > DF49/S474 > Z2980 > Z2976 > DF23 > Z2961 > ZZ29 > Z17591 (ZP69)

What geographical path does ZP69 often take someones heritage? That is most likely country of origin.

Currently we only have members of a Welsh looking cluster who are ZP69 plus, but really I'd need to see your STR results before I could say more.

Dubhthach
09-02-2016, 05:49 PM
With regards to the ZZ29+/ZZ29- what are their origins? From quick eyeball Powell could be Welsh name as well, not sure on Pruner -- what MDKA do these men have do you know?

http://www.ytree.net/DisplayTree.php?blockID=558&star=false

jdean
09-02-2016, 06:16 PM
With regards to the ZZ29+/ZZ29- what are their origins? From quick eyeball Powell could be Welsh name as well, not sure on Pruner -- what MDKA do these men have do you know?

I'd definitely say Powell is a Welsh name (Ap Howell, but I'm sure you're fully aware of that derivation : ) but David's brick walled in the States

So far all ZZ29+, ZP69- are BY2639+ but 'all' is a pretty select group and the GD is wide (16 @ 67)

Pruner hasn't given a MDKA but his surname is non existent in Britain.

mrrstrat
09-02-2016, 07:29 PM
How about Rogers: common Welsh name?

jdean
09-02-2016, 07:50 PM
How about Rogers: common Welsh name?

If I was asked to rattle off Welsh surnames it'd be unlikely to make my list but it's got the format of a Welsh patronymic surname and it's distribution certainly lends credibility.

It's mentioned three times in 'The Surnames of Wales' by John & Sheila Rowlands

brimcmike
09-03-2016, 02:18 AM
I'd definitely say Powell is a Welsh name (Ap Howell, but I'm sure you're fully aware of that derivation : ) but David's brick walled in the States

So far all ZZ29+, ZP69- are BY2639+ but 'all' is a pretty select group and the GD is wide (16 @ 67)

Pruner hasn't given a MDKA but his surname is non existent in Britain.

Pruner (http://forebears.io/surnames/pruner) appears, by population density, to be Czech.

Brings to mind those interesting ZP21+ outliers Szpunar (http://forebears.io/surnames/szpunar) and Reniszewski (http://forebears.io/surnames/reniszewski), both Polish.

Is it thought that these likely represent stragglers on the road to the Atlantic?

mrrstrat
09-03-2016, 01:34 PM
Anyone know where the people with the surname Rogers and my thus far lineage typically originate from? The word of mouth from the family is "Scot Irish, English" - a pretty nebulous lineage..

brimcmike
09-03-2016, 03:13 PM
Many in England, some interesting founder effects in former African colonies, but by population density, a good chance of being Welsh (http://forebears.io/surnames/rogers).

FTDNA Rogers/Rodgers Y-DNA Project (https://www.familytreedna.com/public/rogers.sc.ga.al.tx.nm.ca?iframe=yresults)
>600 participants. Not as helpful as it could be for your purposes because the admin is mostly not sorting by SNP. About half of the participants are R, by far mostly R1b.
If you get STR testing you could make some headway in terms of matching up within this database.

jdean
09-03-2016, 05:00 PM
Many in England, some interesting founder effects in former African colonies, but by population density, a good chance of being Welsh (http://forebears.io/surnames/rogers).

FTDNA Rogers/Rodgers Y-DNA Project (https://www.familytreedna.com/public/rogers.sc.ga.al.tx.nm.ca?iframe=yresults)
>600 participants. Not as helpful as it could be for your purposes because the admin is mostly not sorting by SNP. About half of the participants are R, by far mostly R1b.
If you get STR testing you could make some headway in terms of matching up within this database.

Kit no. 66787 has a very good chance of being ZP69 : )

MacUalraig
09-04-2016, 05:14 PM
Anyone know where the people with the surname Rogers and my thus far lineage typically originate from? The word of mouth from the family is "Scot Irish, English" - a pretty nebulous lineage..

When I did my course on Advanced surname studies our set book was The Surname Detective by Colin Rogers, a brilliant book (bit out of date technically but the core concepts still stand).

mrrstrat
09-09-2016, 03:51 PM
I got the final word from YSEQ - they determined me to be R1b-ZP69*

Does this mean I am a solid ZP69 or that there is no known subclade under that they can test for.

And most important: does this point me at a country of origin?

Dubhthach
09-09-2016, 04:41 PM
Well it just means that you didn't test positive for any sub-clades of ZP69 that they have in their test panel. Of course it's probable you are positive for a branch of ZP69 that just hasn't been discovered let. This is one reason why something like BigY is useful as it sequences the Y-Chromsome looking for new SNP's.

If you look at the ytree page for ZP69 (built using three ZP69+ BigY results) you see that all ZP69+ men are positive for at least 20 other SNP's. There's than a branch made up of Joyce/Thomas which are positive for two SNP's. In turn each of Joyce and Thomas have a whole set of "private" snp's which are so far only known from their samples.

All three men actually have an average of 10 high quality "private" SNP's.

Joyce has his origins down as Ireland, in an Irish context the surname Joyce is regarded as "Cambro-Norman" (eg. Welsh-Norman), so there might be a deep connection in Wales for your own ancestry, however like Joyce it might have been present in Ireland for period of time, it's impossible really to know without a wider sample set.

Have you done any STR testing?

swid
09-09-2016, 04:49 PM
Edit: sniped by Dubhthach's response in the preceding post.

This means that you're ZP69+ and negative for the only known subclade underneath it:FGC34048 (at YSEQ and on the Big Tree)/FGC34047 (at FTDNA).

Based on the surnames in the FTDNA R-DF49 Project who are known to be ZP69+, a reasonable guess for your paternal origin would be either Irish or Welsh; see group C1c1b there (https://www.familytreedna.com/public/R-DF49/default.aspx?section=yresults).

If you want to narrow down your potential matches further, you effectively have one of two options.

- the cheaper route is to order an STR panel test from YSEQ or FTDNA
- the more expensive route is to order a Y-chromosome sequencing test from FGC or FTDNA

jdean
09-09-2016, 05:00 PM
I got the final word from YSEQ - they determined me to be R1b-ZP69*

Does this mean I am a solid ZP69 or that there is no known subclade under that they can test for.

And most important: does this point me at a country of origin?

- the cheaper route is to order an STR panel test from YSEQ or FTDNA
- the more expensive route is to order a Y-chromosome sequencing test from FGC or FTDNA

Highly recommend the first option, second would probably be overkill IMO since there's a Rogers at FTDNA who's predictably part of the Joyce cluster Dubhthach mentioned.

mrrstrat
09-09-2016, 05:56 PM
Which STR panel test from YSEQ provides the needed detail?

swid
09-09-2016, 07:14 PM
YSEQ's Alpha-Beta panel combo is equivalent to FTDNA's 37-marker test. However, given how close all the existing ZP69+ men are at that level, you may want to test more markers than YSEQ currently offers.

jdean
09-09-2016, 07:57 PM
YSEQ's Alpha-Beta panel combo is equivalent to FTDNA's 37-marker test. However, given how close all the existing ZP69+ men are at that level, you may want to test more markers than YSEQ currently offers.

I tend to agree and ordering a 37 loci panel test from FTDNA will allow the opportunity to upgrade to 67 or 111 loci in the futer if desired.

However with the SNP tests already taken a YSEQ Alpha-Beta panel combo will give enough information to say whether mrrstrat is part of this cluster or not.

I'd still prefer to see a 67 loci test though.

mrrstrat
09-12-2016, 02:47 PM
Here is the YSEQ breakdown:

A1506 A-
A8416 G-
AM01922 A+
BY4383 A-
BY6623 A-
BY7751 C-
CTS10736 C-
CTS241 C+
CTS242 C-
CTS243 C-
CTS3406 A-
DF13 C+
DF49 A+
FGC129 C-
FGC15886 G-
FGC16441 G-
FGC1917 A-
FGC23590 C-
FGC24779 C-
FGC28410 T-
FGC29072 G-
FGC34048 C-
FGC35842 G-
FGC47161 T-
FGC6562 A-
L1249 C-
L1493 C-
L96 A-
L994 C-
M222 G-
M5379 C-
M6492 T-
M7917 C-
PAGES00084 G-
PF1451 C-
PF6891 A-
PH3641 C-
PH3642 G-
PH3643 G-
S1141 C-
S20554 T-
S474 A+
S521 C+
S6154 C+
S8381 G-
SK1683 C-
Y15740 T-
Y16356 C-
Y16835 G-
Y17119 C-
Y18275 T-
Y2209 A-
Y4599 G-
Y603 G-
Y6469 T-
YP2274 C-
YP57 C-
Z15304 G-
Z15304 G-
Z17591 A+
Z2089 G-
Z23532 C-
Z28194 C-
Z2961 T+
Z2980 C+
Z35046 C-
Z36077 G-
Z37845 T-
Z3898 C-
Z39589 del+
Z5591 C-
Z9423 T-
ZP69 A+
ZS7388 G-
ZS7429 T-
ZS8996 C-

mrrstrat
09-12-2016, 02:49 PM
And from YSEQ they state:

Your final branch is R1b-Z17591* (Aka R1b-ZP69*)

mrrstrat
09-12-2016, 03:05 PM
I am looking into the best options for STR testing but as somewhat cost-driven :-)

FTDNA seems to be the way to go but price themselves rather unattractively compared to the other companies..

jdean
09-12-2016, 03:10 PM
I am looking into the best options for SNP testing but as somewhat cost-driven :-)

FTDNA seems to be the way to go but price themselves rather unattractively compared to the other companies..

Of course you mean STR testing.

mrrstrat
09-12-2016, 03:40 PM
Of course you mean STR testing.

Yes lol!

dp
09-12-2016, 09:01 PM
I have not had success in getting my Y-STR matches to verifiy that they are even M269 carriers, much less DF49...
I am trying to track down Powell's that descend from someone further back than my g-grandfather. This spring I followed genealogy in Hampton Roads VA for some descendants of Charles Dickinson Powell, a brother of my gg-grandfather, Samuel A. Powell. I discovered that the wife of a former preacher of my church --back in the 90s-- was actually a 3rd cousin through the Powell's; they had attended our reunions and we didn't know we were kin.
I just proved last week that a sister of my gg-grandfather, and this Hampton Roads branch, was in married life, Cordelia Powell Kiff. At least 3 of her sons moved to the same county her brother had moved to.
WRT most distant ancestor I claim kin to Charles Powell, a Revolutionary vet b: 1758 d: 1840s. Autosomal DNA connects an uncle of mine to a descendant of an uncle of my gg-granddad. Does any one know if their is a tool on Ancestry to see where you match someone (chromosome & position)???

mrrstrat
01-26-2017, 08:51 PM
I am considering the YSEQ-Alpha-Beta for $70 USD: is it useful?

mrrstrat
01-26-2017, 10:11 PM
The YSEQ Alpha-Beta appears to be like the FTDNA Y37.

Could this test help link past my ZP69 brick wall?

jdean
01-27-2017, 12:23 AM
The YSEQ Alpha-Beta appears to be like the FTDNA Y37.

Could this test help link past my ZP69 brick wall?

It'll likely confirm you are part of the core ZP69 cluster, though I'd rather see a 67 loci test I can't argue with the price and this group is reasonably distinct even at 37 so if money is an issue I'd say go for it. Be sure to post your results here though or PM me.

mrrstrat
01-27-2017, 06:29 PM
Its been a little while since I checked in here: I am trying to see where a ZP69 with the family surname Rogers is likely to have originated. Thus far, the DNA and other sources keep me originating in Ireland. It is unclear if this name was borrowed, or the Gaelic form of Mac Ruaidhri...

Are there updates for the ZP69s out there in the Big Tree project?

jdean
01-27-2017, 06:56 PM
Its been a little while since I checked in here: I am trying to see where a ZP69 with the family surname Rogers is likely to have originated. Thus far, the DNA and other sources keep me originating in Ireland. It is unclear if this name was borrowed, or the Gaelic form of Mac Ruaidhri...

Are there updates for the ZP69s out there in the Big Tree project?

I'd say the ZP69 cluster is more likely to connect back to Wales but possibly could be Norman Welsh ?

mrrstrat
01-29-2017, 02:51 PM
Maybe: but weren't the Normans Norse - Norwegion? My Celt line would have to have been introduced at some point into their line if that was the case.

How about Norman invaders bringing the Surname after 1066 and somehow my line picked it up?

mrrstrat
05-30-2017, 05:28 PM
Has anything changed for the R1b-Z17591* (Aka R1b-ZP69*) community? I am inquiring YSEQ on what additional testing they have and what their recommended STR panel is for me.

jdean
05-30-2017, 06:05 PM
Has anything changed for the R1b-Z17591* (Aka R1b-ZP69*) community? I am inquiring YSEQ on what additional testing they have and what their recommended STR panel is for me.

Not at present but there are 13 SNPs germane to this cluster on the DF49xM222 SNP panel test.

RGM
05-30-2017, 07:51 PM
Maybe: but weren't the Normans Norse - Norwegion? My Celt line would have to have been introduced at some point into their line if that was the case.

How about Norman invaders bringing the Surname after 1066 and somehow my line picked it up?

The Normans certainly had a strong Norse element, but they assimilated with other ethnic groups and by no means could you consider "the Normans" to be just a Norse people.

mrrstrat
05-30-2017, 09:03 PM
I did take the following:
1 x R1b-L21 Super-Clade Orientation Panel $99.00
1 x DF13 $0.00
1 x Z39589 $0.00
1 x DF49 $0.00
1 x R1b-DF49 (including M222) North West Irish Panel $0.00
1 x M222 $0.00
1 x Z2980 $0.00
1 x Z2961 $0.00
1 x FGC6562 $0.00
1 x Z17591 $0.00
1 x FGC34048 $0.00

I am planning to do the Alpha/Beta STR panel which they are telling me is equal to the FTDNA 37 test.