PDA

View Full Version : People of Oceania

BalkanKiwi
08-15-2016, 08:19 AM
People of Oceania

I thought I would start a thread to share images of people from Oceania. If you are going to post pictures of living people that are not publicly available, please ensure you have permission before doing so. This is in line with the forum's Terms of Service. (http://www.anthrogenica.com/faq.php)

I'll start off with a picture of my Maori 5th great grandmother. This is the only known picture of her.

http://i.imgur.com/SuUQxdIh.jpg

C J Wyatt III
08-15-2016, 02:31 PM
People of Oceania

I'll start off with a picture of my Maori 5th great grandmother. This is the only known picture of her.

http://i.imgur.com/SuUQxdIh.jpg

5th great, wow! Your generations must be closer together than mine, or she lived a long life. My oldest family picture is a 2nd great grandfather.

Jack

BalkanKiwi
08-15-2016, 08:29 PM
5th great, wow! Your generations must be closer together than mine, or she lived a long life. My oldest family picture is a 2nd great grandfather.

Jack

She was born circa 1808 and died 1885. I'm probably lucky the family had some standing in the Maori community, otherwise a photo probably wouldn't have been taken.

bitterfruit609
09-08-2021, 04:23 AM
unnamed Aboriginal man, in Point Mcleay, South Australia, wearing a possum skin cloak

bitterfruit609
09-08-2021, 04:25 AM
This is so cool! She looks like she means serious business. Do you know her iwi?

BalkanKiwi
09-08-2021, 10:22 AM
This is so cool! She looks like she means serious business. Do you know her iwi?

Indeed! She was part of Ngāpuhi, which is the largest iwi in New Zealand. She was also apart of a few other smaller ones, but that was the main one. She was also the adoptive daughter of Chief Tāmati Wāka Nene. Her father died in combat when she was around 14, so I suspect she was adopted after this, as her father. Her father's name was Chief Papa-Harakeke. Below is a story of apparently how he died in combat. The other story is that he was killed by Tuhourangi at Motutawa Island on the encouragement of Te Rauparaha, who wanted revenge for a relative lost during Ngapuhi's capture of Te Totara pa. Either way, a revenge war was waged against Te Arawa by Ngāpuhi for the men lost.

Papa was enticed and beguiled at Rotorua, by the people there, and thus his death was accomplished. The Rotorua people built a house, and invited Papa and his company to occupy the House as their guests, but long before this a high fence had been built around this House. Papa and his party consisted of sixty men, and the Rotorua people were three hundred twice told.

The Rotorua people or as they are called Arawa killed some dogs, and burnt some of the hair, so that their guests might smell the burnt hair, and from that suppose that the Arawa were killing dogs to feast them with, but such was not the fact, but this the hair was burnt in deceit, and to mislead Papa and his party.

Te rauparaha was at Rotorua at that time, and he rose on his feet, and chanted an incantation. These are the words of the incantation he chanted to the people of Rotorua, in which he suggested that they should murder their Ngapuhi guests.

Though this is an incantation chanted by a warrior over his maro (war girdle) as he is about to enter into battle, it is also called an Unu (to lift out of) and also Te-po-nui (the great night). Te-rauparaha chanted it to the Rotorua people to urge them to kill the Ngapuhi visitors, when he had ended chanting the incantation, the Rotorua people murdered the Ngapuhi people, and only one of the whole Ngapuhi escaped death of the name of Te-maanga, who climbed or jumped over the high fence that had been built around the house, and he fled to the water, and swam out in the lake, as they had been murdered at an Island in the Rotokakahi lake, this Island is in the middle of this lake, and the Pa (fort) was on this Island, which was called Motutawa, and the Pa on it was called by the same name.

Te-maangi swam out in the Lake, and two men in a canoe pursued him, and overtook him, but Te-maangi was a brave fellow, and when these two struck at him, he dived, and had to come up again to take breath, and he was struck at again by them, but he took hold of the bow of the canoe and got on board, and the two Rotorua men ran to the stern of the canoe, and Te-maangi took a paddle and struck at them, and they jumped into the water, and Te-maangi had sole possession of the canoe, and he followed the two men in the water and killed them, and then he paddled page (25) away and landed, and traveled to his Home at Ngapuhi. His fellow companions who had been killed in the Motutawa pa were cooked and eaten by the Arawa people. Te-maangi had all his teeth fallen out, on account of the two men having struck at him while in the water.

Since I post the image of her, I've since used MyHeritage to clean it up a bit.

https://photos.geni.com/p13/d4/21/85/1a/53444858263fe52f/enhanced_photo_original.jpg