PDA

View Full Version : Your 23andMe Finnish Ancestry Finder, Ancestry Composition and Relative Finder Scores

J Man
04-22-2013, 12:37 AM
I think it would be quite interesting and fun to compare our 23andME Finnish scores/matches on Ancestry Finder, Ancestry Composition and Relative Finder. This may be a good little exercise to demonstrate the population bottlenecks that Finns have experienced in their history. Both Finns and non-Finns are welcome to post their results here and compare. Here are mine below. I am 25% Finnish by known ancestry.

Ancestry Finder (Set at Minimum Segment Size 5cM threshold and 4 Grandparents from the same country.):

Finland=5.6%

Ancestry Composition (Set at Sub-Regional Resolution):

Speculative Estimate=25.8% Finnish

Standard Estimate=24.4% Finnish

Conservative Estimate: 22.2% Finnish

I also have a large number of Finnish matches on Relative Finder. I may add them all up some time when I feel not so lazy lol.

ilmari
04-22-2013, 04:01 AM
My Ancestry Composition Sub-regional resolution is:

100%
European

Northern European
100% Finnish
< 0.1% Nonspecific European

I'm not sure where to find the other tools now that they've changed it around so much.

AJL
04-22-2013, 04:11 AM
0.5% for me, but that same area is painted nonspecific Northern European on one side and Ashkenazi on the other. I do have 1.8% Scandinavian elsewhere, though.

geebee
04-22-2013, 04:42 AM
I'm 0% Finnish by known ancestry. In Ancestry Composition I get anywhere from 0.3% Finnish (conservative estimate) to 0.5% (speculative estimate). My brother gets as much as 1.0% Finnish (speculative). Our sister gets only 0.3% (speculative).

It might be coincidental, but I find it interesting that our sister's "Finnish" is lower at the same time her "East Asian and Native American" is higher. Native American ancestry is something we actually do have. But, most of our ancestry is European and could include groups that might have contributed an apparently Finnish component.

EDIT: It may mean nothing, but I might add that my brother's "Finnish" ancestry is in three segments. One of them is on a chromosome where it is almost entirely surrounded by "British and Irish". I'll do some more checking on my sister's and my results.

geebee
04-22-2013, 07:56 AM
My sister's "Finnish" is limited to a single segment. As with one of my brother's three segments, this is surrounded by "British and Irish" on one of her paternal chromosomes. Our brother's 1.0% is split between both parents, 0.6% from our mother, and 0.4% from our father. My 0.5% is strictly maternal.

Mine is in the form of two segments. One segment is on a chromosome that is identified as otherwise almost entirely "British and Irish". The other segment is on a chromosome that includes a great deal of "British and Irish", but also a small "Native American" segment.

Jenny
04-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Thanks JMan, I hadn't done this yet and my results are puzzling.
I'm 45 % Finnish at 23andme. My mother was 100% Finnish.
The other 50% is equally Pomeranian and English back to the Battle of Hastings
But 23andme says 15% each for German and French, non specific Northern European and Eastern European.
And only 6% for British and Irish.
Hmmm

Baltimore1937
04-23-2013, 05:06 AM
I haven't trie to use technology programs, except for my basic FTDNA results. I also supplement with my Ancestry tree. According to the latter, I have a distant female from the New Sweden colony that apparently was actually Finnish. And I have a rather close Y-DNA match to someone from Finland. There is a possibility, however remote, that my R1a1a1 was from among Finns in Scandinavia, and coming from what is now Russia directly. Well, that is just idle speculation, and probably not so.

Scarlet Ibis
04-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Me and my dad both have 0.2% at the 5cM, 4gp level. We don't have any known Finnish ancestry after the 1700s.

Kraai
02-27-2014, 05:41 AM
I only have 0.3% Finnish in the speculative mode... nothing in standard or conservative. I also have no known Finnish ancestry. So it may be just noise. I'd like to think I have some distant Finnish ancestor though, as I always liked Finnish culture for no apparent reason, and I also sung a lot of Finnish songs in my years of choir... so I can dream!

Stephen1986
06-29-2014, 12:37 PM
As far as I know, I have no Finnish ancestry. In AC neither myself or my brother have any Finnish.

In Countries of Ancestry, at 4GP/5cM, my brother has Finland at 0.6% and I have Finland at 0.4%.

In DNAR, we have a couple of matches who have Finland in their profiles.

geebee
07-08-2014, 08:59 AM
In PopulationFinder my ancestry wasn't really quantified, beyond telling me I was "100% European, 0.0%". However, Finland was one of the four populations listed for me, with the others being Spain, Tuscany, and Russia.

MyOrigins still shows some sort of connection to Finland, under "Finland and Northern Siberia", but now it's just 1%. I also get 0.4% Finnish at 23andMe, and <1% at Ancestry. So now everyone seems to be in much closer agreement

So it seems rather odd that previously "Finland" was one of my four principal ancestral populations. The only thing I can figure is that this was the best they could do to fit me into their "100% European" paradigm -- which no one else now does.

Unlike 23andMe and Ancestry, FTDNA still doesn't see any Native American for me (though they do for one of my siblings), but they have at least moved part of my ancestry as far to the east as "Northeastern Asia". Perhaps in a future iteration they'll finally follow my ancestors across the Bering Land Bridge. I suppose in a way they already have, since all my brother's ancestors are also mine. My brother shows 1% "New World", or "Native American".

Salkin
09-11-2014, 12:35 PM
23andMe's Ancestry Composition finds 0.5% Finnish in me on the Speculative setting. I'm not aware of a Finnish background to my family, but it's certainly far from impossible. Finland was part of the kingdom for many centuries, and though people didn't travel as much back then as they do now, I'm sure people got shuffled around in service to the Crown now and then, if nothing else.

A lot of Finns live in Sweden now, but I think the genetic signal would be a lot stronger if the admixture was that recent. (Plus it would take a recent NPE!)

ADW_1981
09-11-2014, 01:04 PM
23andMe's Ancestry Composition finds 0.5% Finnish in me on the Speculative setting. I'm not aware of a Finnish background to my family, but it's certainly far from impossible. Finland was part of the kingdom for many centuries, and though people didn't travel as much back then as they do now, I'm sure people got shuffled around in service to the Crown now and then, if nothing else.

A lot of Finns live in Sweden now, but I think the genetic signal would be a lot stronger if the admixture was that recent. (Plus it would take a recent NPE!)

I'm not certain why you'd be surprised finding ancestry from an adjacent country? Your YDNA haplogroup is a lot more surprising, at least for me.

I have a ton of Swedish/Finnish cousins on my father's side. Most if not all of these are French/German refugees fleeing Catholic persecution. My profile shows up as 0.1 Finnish, but this seems more likely that this is due to sharing ancestors who immigrated to Finland rather than having deep roots there.

Salkin
09-11-2014, 02:17 PM
I'm not certain why you'd be surprised finding ancestry from an adjacent country? Your YDNA haplogroup is a lot more surprising, at least for me.

My Y-DNA haplogroup is certainly the biggest surprise in the data I got back, followed by the 9.9% British & Irish in my AC. Other ancestry I have no explanation for is still quite surprising, though, even if the countries are adjacent. Traveling over that sort of distance was a big deal until quite recently; you'd mostly see people already close to the border crossing it. The picture is a bit different if you're a 'melting pot' country people would migrate to from lots of places, but significant immigration didn't really start happening here until the 1960s (when there was a major influx of economic migrants from Finland, incidentally, but people started arriving from places much further afield also).

I don't seem to have any real DNA relatives from Finland; I'd have expected some to show up, especially since Finns are generally very genetically distinct from the Germanic Scandinavian populations next to them.

Even Denmark I have next to no DNA relatives in. Some in Norway, but then my family is from an area not very far from the populous capital region of that country, and I think a Norwegian branch of my mother's family has actually been mentioned.

I mostly remarked on the 0.5% Finnish because I do consider it somewhat plausible, if unexpected. I also have 0.3% Eastern European, which I suppose is not a total impossibility, especially since it's such a big vague category, 0.1% Ashkenazi which is most probably noise, and 0.1% East Asian which is almost certainly noise.

Oh, and 2.3% French & German, but that was expected as I have a Belgian ancestor.

ilmari
09-11-2014, 06:18 PM
I thought I should post mine again after update:

European
Northern European

90.2% Finnish
3.1% Scandinavian
0.5% British & Irish
4.7% Broadly Northern European
0.7% Eastern European
0.8% Broadly European
< 0.1% Unassigned

My Ancestry Composition Sub-regional resolution is:

100%
European

Northern European
100% Finnish
< 0.1% Nonspecific European

I'm not sure where to find the other tools now that they've changed it around so much.

vettor
09-11-2014, 06:34 PM
My Y-DNA haplogroup is certainly the biggest surprise in the data I got back, followed by the 9.9% British & Irish in my AC. Other ancestry I have no explanation for is still quite surprising, though, even if the countries are adjacent. Traveling over that sort of distance was a big deal until quite recently; you'd mostly see people already close to the border crossing it. The picture is a bit different if you're a 'melting pot' country people would migrate to from lots of places, but significant immigration didn't really start happening here until the 1960s (when there was a major influx of economic migrants from Finland, incidentally, but people started arriving from places much further afield also).

I don't seem to have any real DNA relatives from Finland; I'd have expected some to show up, especially since Finns are generally very genetically distinct from the Germanic Scandinavian populations next to them.

Even Denmark I have next to no DNA relatives in. Some in Norway, but then my family is from an area not very far from the populous capital region of that country, and I think a Norwegian branch of my mother's family has actually been mentioned.

I mostly remarked on the 0.5% Finnish because I do consider it somewhat plausible, if unexpected. I also have 0.3% Eastern European, which I suppose is not a total impossibility, especially since it's such a big vague category, 0.1% Ashkenazi which is most probably noise, and 0.1% East Asian which is almost certainly noise.

Oh, and 2.3% French & German, but that was expected as I have a Belgian ancestor.

your G2a4 is G-L91 which is otzi marker, which is found in the alps and as of 2013 is only 4.44% of Austrians

considering that 23andme have no specific group for Austrians, North-Italians and Swiss ( as they borrow the markers from other sites ), then the tested people are tested and noted as Italians or French-German

If you have been tested with ftdna , you could join ftdna ALPGEN project and Chris is very helpful is clearly up a lot of alpine peoples ancestry.

Salkin
09-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Unfortunately I am only 23andMe tested so far, but I have been considering FTDNA given all the mentions of it... Thanks vettor, maybe I'll send in a sample to them as well.

ADW_1981
09-12-2014, 08:47 PM
Unfortunately I am only 23andMe tested so far, but I have been considering FTDNA given all the mentions of it... Thanks vettor, maybe I'll send in a sample to them as well.

From what I have heard the 23andMe G tree is all messed up and gives erroneous results. I wouldn't be 100% confident on you carrying the Oetzi marker...

J Man
09-12-2014, 11:34 PM

I have a ton of Swedish/Finnish cousins on my father's side. Most if not all of these are French/German refugees fleeing Catholic persecution. My profile shows up as 0.1 Finnish, but this seems more likely that this is due to sharing ancestors who immigrated to Finland rather than having deep roots there.

What is your Finland score on Ancestry Finder?

Salkin
09-13-2014, 02:16 AM
From what I have heard the 23andMe G tree is all messed up and gives erroneous results. I wouldn't be 100% confident on you carrying the Oetzi marker...

Yeah, I've heard that mentioned some places. While my Y-DNA result is pretty interesting, I'm not sure I'd want to spring for an FTDNA Y-DNA offering (vanilla Family Finder won't tell me anything about Y-DNA as I understand it).

I don't know enough to tell how much sense 23andMe's mutation mapper is making. I've tried to look up the alleles I should be looking for, but layman-friendly info seems a bit scarce, or I'm just looking in the wrong places.

G2a4 defining mutations
variant call anc der
rs7892988 (L32) C T C
G2a defining mutations
variant call anc der
N/A
G2 defining mutations
variant call anc der
rs4116820 (P287) T G T
G defining mutations
variant call anc der
rs2032636 (M201) T G T
rs2740980 (P257) A G A

(snip supergroups of G)

Jenny
09-17-2014, 08:08 PM
100%
European

Northern European
46.0%
Finnish
3.6%
British & Irish
0.3%
Scandinavian
0.1%
French & German
26.3%
Broadly Northern European
16.1%
Eastern European

Southern European
0.7%
Broadly Southern European
6.9%
Broadly European
That's the speculative version. My mothers from Finland and my father was Colonial American with a Kashubian mother. I think her contribution is the Eastern European (Polish reads as Eastern European) the Southern European stymies me