PDA

View Full Version : Dad's dna land vs mine

firemonkey
08-20-2016, 07:55 PM
Both FTDNA. Dad first.

The Med islander is constant but the small amount of Amazonian/native American is not present in my father's results.

kevinduffy
08-20-2016, 08:30 PM
Both FTDNA. Dad first.

The Med islander is constant but the small amount of Amazonian/native American is not present in my father's results.

Is your mother still alive? If yes, then you should have her DNA tested.

firemonkey
08-20-2016, 08:55 PM
Mother died in 2010. She had a dongle which she only used when I was visiting and was not that interested in genealogy. If what Armando says on my other thread is correct then the Med islander would seem to be on both sides of the family.

Lorence
08-26-2016, 12:38 AM
maybe you should try that new GPSorigins, it should give you information about both parents (in theory)

firemonkey
08-26-2016, 11:40 AM
Unfortunately I'm not in the USA.

tippy
08-26-2016, 11:48 AM
My question to you is (and I mean this respectfully), are you really that fussed about the 1% Amazonian? I get that it's inconsistent with your background etc but given how low this is, I would just ascribe it to noise and move on. I'm not sure how or what you're going to find with further testing and investigation but when something is that insignificant then does it make any odds? Either way, good luck with your search.

Amerijoe
08-26-2016, 12:30 PM
I think DNAland takes raw data from 23andme, Ancestry, and FTDNA. I ran into something similar. I set up an email account at Yahoo and downloaded from one of my other accounts and had that raw data run. It might match your present results or it might show some variation. So, if you tested at two of the above companies, give it a shot.

I do agree it may be noise.

firemonkey
08-26-2016, 12:52 PM
Here are my results from FTDNA,23ANDMe and Ancestry

FTDNA build 37 I get North/ central European 89 Mediterranean islander 9.4 West Eurasian ambiguous 1 Amazonian 1

23andMe- North/central European 85 Mediterranean islander 10 Finnish 4 Native American ambiguous 1.1

Ancestry- North/central European 88 Mediterranean islander 9.4 West Eurasian ambiguous 1.2 Amazonian 1.2

Tippy is very probably right that it is noise. Going by the lack of Amerindian in my father's gedmatch results if it is real, but very minor, then that would suggest it comes from my mother's side.

Having phased my and my father's kits the phased results for my mother give her elevated Amerindian compared to me, but I am aware that such results are flagged as potentially not reliable.

geebee
03-03-2017, 09:25 PM
Mother died in 2010. She had a dongle which she only used when I was visiting and was not that interested in genealogy. If what Armando says on my other thread is correct then the Med islander would seem to be on both sides of the family.

Even though 9.4% is much more than half of 11%, it could still all be from your father. The only thing that would tell you for sure would be if your total happened to be more than either parent.

As an example -- though on a smaller scale -- Ancestry Composition says I have 2.0% Native American. All of my daughter's 1.5% is from me, which means she inherited 75% of this component rather than 50%. But because it's so small -- just six or seven small segments -- that isn't really surprising. It could easily have worked the other way, and she could have inherited less than 50%.

By the same token, I can't assume that my mother's percentage would be 4.0%. However, in this case I have five other siblings who all inherited a similar percentage to mine, and it's actually possible to see where our NA segments overlap and where they don't. It's all from our mother, though, and she probably did have somewhere around 4% or so.

If your Mediterranean Islander is all from your father, you'd have inherited about 85% of his total. But again, that's entirely possible. (Conversely, you'd have inherited a bit less of something else.)

Calas
04-13-2017, 01:59 AM
Interesting. However, you know that we inherit different pieces of DNA from our parents, grandparents, etc.

Your Amazonian is small. And thus hard to identify. Do you show it elsewhere? Europeans [/Brits, etc.] do happen to get "Native" genes, after all, not because they have actual American ancestry but because of the dregs of yesteryear genes still found here & there in sometimes more isolated populations.