PDA

View Full Version : Best WW2 Battleship

MikeWhalen
08-25-2016, 02:48 PM
for various obscure reasons, this question popped into my head and as usual, I turned to Dr. Google

I quickly found the following article that seemed to me a very well researched and non jingoistic analysis
-the fellow did listen to feedback from a previous article and had sought out data from the various countries themselves.
Anyway, he compares 7 ships 'classes' from 6 countries on a variety of criteria. He plainly admits he had to guesstimate various scores because he lacked any hard data at all (ie-no info, not even anecdotal on Richelieu Classes ability to absorb damage to its superstructure)

He did break it into 4 basic categories
Heavywieght Champ
Middleweight Champ
Best all around ship
Best all around Treaty Battleship

one point made several times that was a bit of a suprise to me was that these 7 ships could basically be broken down into 2 groups and the design and tech choices used in making them reflected that
-the 'boxer'-designed to fight over distances and the 'brawler'-designed for toe to toe inside fighting
assuming competent leadership of both, history showed the boxer tended to do alot better
...a bit counter intuitive to some, as the huge powerhouse is obviously more dangerous looking than the somewhat slighter, less bulky guy
...but those high trajectory, dead bang on radar fire control shells were way more dangerous than a killer broadside

anyway, for fun and NOT 'yay we are better than you' conversation...

http://www.combinedfleet.com/baddest.htm#secondary

Mike

RobertCasey
08-25-2016, 03:16 PM
This best WWII battleships were aircraft carriers. Actual battleships were obsolete during WWII played only a minor role in the Pacific (except waking the sleeping giant at Pearl Harbor). The heavyweight champ was Japan's single mega battleship - which was destroyed by aircraft carriers in it first engagement. It took several hours to sink her but around 4,000 Japanese sailors were lost in this disparate move. Submarines were probably second and destroyers of submarines were third. Merchant ships were probably fourth even though they had little defense. The loss of life on merchant ships was very high in the Atlantic. Of course, the German submariners eventually paid the price once convoys and destroyers took their toll.