PDA

View Full Version : Me and my dad's results

CrazyDaisy
08-30-2016, 01:43 AM
Before I got tested I expected to be about 20% native. I was surprised it was closer to 30%.
http://i.imgur.com/wjNojRv.jpg
My dad's results are pretty much what I expected. He got a higher Jewish and Native American score. I was surprised at how low his African score is. It's also intersting he got a bit of oceanian. I've been getting about 1.5% average oceanian on gedmatch. I guess it comes from him.
http://i.imgur.com/SOd9V2n.jpg

AnnieD
08-30-2016, 05:22 AM
Seeing father-daugher mixed ancestry results in chromosome painting is really striking! :) Would you feel comfortable elaborating on your known or assumed family heritage? You mention the NA and Jewish above, but on another thread you mentioned that you were surprised that your father had no French/German AC as he looked German. Curious if his family identifies as NA from North or South America given the smaller other components.

CrazyDaisy
08-30-2016, 05:31 AM
Seeing father-daugher mixed ancestry results in chromosome painting is really striking! :) Would you feel comfortable elaborating on your known or assumed family heritage? You mention the NA and Jewish above, but on another thread you mentioned that you were surprised that your father had no French/German AC as he looked German. Curious if his family identifies as NA from North or South America given the smaller other components.
My ancestry is mainly Ecuadorian. He obviously does look native influenced, but I can still see a bit of German in him. At least in his mannerisms. There's also basque on both sides of the family. My mom says my nose is basque influenced, but everyone on anthro forums says it's just native.

AnnieD
08-30-2016, 06:34 AM
Ecuador includes the Galapagos Islands in the Pacific, so it seems very fitting that your results would make for a rather interesting admixture under these chromosome painting tools. :) If Darwin were an anthro-geneticist, he would probably get really into the Basque with their unique linguistics & mysterious origins (original Europeans?).

And I believe that you are one of the few testers who has actually gotten quite a bit more NA than anticipated. Many NA forums are full of Colonial Americans looking for the long-lost NA great uncle that admixture results have lost. I can't swear that my memory serves, but I believe I've read that most of the major DNA company's NA samples are more Central American- than North American-based due to cultural & political testing issues with many North American native tribes. Therefore, your Ecuadorian heritage may be better aligned with current NA samples and therefore got a better "reading."

CrazyDaisy
08-30-2016, 06:50 AM
Ecuador includes the Galapagos Islands in the Pacific, so it seems very fitting that your results would make for a rather interesting admixture under these chromosome painting tools. :) If Darwin were an anthro-geneticist, he would probably get really into the Basque with their unique linguistics & mysterious origins (original Europeans?).

And I believe that you are one of the few testers who has actually gotten quite a bit more NA than anticipated. Many NA forums are full of Colonial Americans looking for the long-lost NA great uncle that admixture results have lost. I can't swear that my memory serves, but I believe I've read that most of the major DNA company's NA samples are more Central American- than North American-based due to cultural & political testing issues with many North American native tribes. Therefore, your Ecuadorian heritage may be better aligned with current NA samples and therefore got a better "reading."
I estimated my score based on Jessica Alba's score of 13% native and other people(including Latin Americans) getting lower scores than they expect. Based on her appearance and her being half Latina I assumed my score would be slightly higher. That was an outdated test that only calculated Asian. When I'm on calculators that don't calculate Native American, I do get about 17% Asian. So I wasn't too wrong.