PDA

View Full Version : Posting sample from UK to USA?

JohnHowellsTyrfro
09-05-2016, 08:51 AM
I posted this elsewhere, but maybe this is a better place - I'm about to post my Family Finder Kit back to FTDNA, (first time) but there seems to be conflicting advice around about how you describe the contents and whether you need to complete a customs declaration ( I think not)?
Some advice says "genealogy kit exempt human specimen" or "dna kit for exempt human specimin analysis" others say just "cotton swabs" - but they aren't actually cotton.
Any advise please? Our Post Office always asks what's in the package. Thanks.

Kaido
09-05-2016, 09:39 AM
Whenever I have sent a kit back I've always written, "Genealogy Kit - DNA Sample". Never had any problems.

09-05-2016, 10:57 AM
Hey John, I think the problem arises if its blood, saliva sample I think is ok, well at least it was the case with my 23andme kit I shipped from Germany to the States. Think there should be some sort of description, DNA saliva sample sounds about right, from what I recall on my 23andme kit.

JohnHowellsTyrfro
09-05-2016, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the reply both. Just wanted to try and avoid problems.:beerchug: John

A Norfolk L-M20
09-06-2016, 10:30 PM
One good thing about FTDNA, is that as long as the sample is decent, they can reuse it for later test orders. I sent mine for a Y111. A Big Y later followed, now a Family Finder. I posted from Wisbech, Cambs. They asked me what it was, I think I told them, DNA cheek swabs. They nodded, off it went.

jdean
09-06-2016, 11:35 PM
I posted this elsewhere, but maybe this is a better place - I'm about to post my Family Finder Kit back to FTDNA, (first time) but there seems to be conflicting advice around about how you describe the contents and whether you need to complete a customs declaration ( I think not)?
Some advice says "genealogy kit exempt human specimen" or "dna kit for exempt human specimin analysis" others say just "cotton swabs" - but they aren't actually cotton.
Any advise please? Our Post Office always asks what's in the package. Thanks.

It's been a while and I can't remember what I wrote on the various kits I've sent back (probably DNA sample ?), plus I have no idea what was on samples from other Brits I've recruited, but I've never had a problem.

Personal I doubt they take much notice so as long as you don't write it contains nuclear fissile material, or something similar, you should be OK : )

JohnHowellsTyrfro
09-07-2016, 04:39 AM
One good thing about FTDNA, is that as long as the sample is decent, they can reuse it for later test orders. I sent mine for a Y111. A Big Y later followed, now a Family Finder. I posted from Wisbech, Cambs. They asked me what it was, I think I told them, DNA cheek swabs. They nodded, off it went.

Well it's been sent with no problems from my end. I wrote "Genealogy Kit. Test sample". Some of our Post Offices quiz you like you are sending off something dubious, even if it is a pair of socks. :)
That's interesting about them re-using samples. I thought I would have to resubmit if I do Big Y. Being a bit cynical, I wonder if they have done all the analysis for Big Y anyway? :)

JohnHowellsTyrfro
09-07-2016, 04:41 AM
Maybe it's just Welsh nosiness around here. We are known for it. :)

A Norfolk L-M20
09-07-2016, 06:24 AM
Whereas where I lived at the time, they just assumed it was the usual paternity DNA test.

JohnHowellsTyrfro
09-07-2016, 07:49 AM
Whereas where I lived at the time, they just assumed it was the usual paternity DNA test.

Mmmm, maybe that's what they thought about me which is why they didn't ask too many questions, although I'm a bit old for that sort of thing. :)

DebbieK
09-08-2016, 06:51 AM
I always tell people to describe the sample as a "genealogy kit" but without any mention of DNA. I've never had any problems.