PDA

View Full Version : Relative's Caucasus

jpb
09-12-2016, 04:30 AM
A first cousin whose test I administer just got back their results. They were as follows:
40% Europe West
26% Great Britain
10% Ireland
9% Scandinavia
6% Europe East
3% Italy/Greece
3% Iberian Peninsula
3% Caucasus

He is of half German and half Colonial ancestry. I have not found anything on the German ancestry though. There is a big brick wall the first generation in Germany.

However, I was surprised by 3% Caucasus...this seems pretty high in my opinion. Usually, in Europeans I've seen it at around <1% so I am confused. The range is 0%-7%. Could there be Caucasian ancestry here or is it just an ancient signatur or noise?

geebee
09-12-2016, 08:04 AM
I'd appreciate a bit of clarification on what you mean when you contrast German with Colonial ancestry.

Certainly, German ancestry itself can be colonial ancestry. For example, my father was about half German and half British -- but his ancestors from both halves arrived in America during the colonial period.

Are you saying your cousin's "half German" part is all post-colonial?

XooR
09-12-2016, 01:55 PM
A first cousin whose test I administer just got back their results. They were as follows:
40% Europe West
26% Great Britain
10% Ireland
9% Scandinavia
6% Europe East
3% Italy/Greece
3% Iberian Peninsula
3% Caucasus

He is of half German and half Colonial ancestry. I have not found anything on the German ancestry though. There is a big brick wall the first generation in Germany.

However, I was surprised by 3% Caucasus...this seems pretty high in my opinion. Usually, in Europeans I've seen it at around <1% so I am confused. The range is 0%-7%. Could there be Caucasian ancestry here or is it just an ancient signatur or noise?

Try to upload his raw data to dna.land, lets see what dna land is going to show?

jpb
09-12-2016, 04:20 PM
Colonial is English and Scottish. The German is Post-Colonial. He doesn't want his DNA to be in any other database so I am not going to upload it to DNA.Land.

Could the Caucasus be real, with the German being post colonial?

C J Wyatt III
09-12-2016, 04:43 PM
Colonial is English and Scottish. The German is Post-Colonial. He doesn't want his DNA to be in any other database so I am not going to upload it to DNA.Land.

Could the Caucasus be real, with the German being post colonial?

What database is it in right now?

jpb
09-12-2016, 09:16 PM
Ancestry.

C J Wyatt III
09-12-2016, 09:21 PM
Ancestry.

Thanks. Right after I posted, I thought check which forum. Then I could not figure out how to delete the post.

Jack