PDA

View Full Version : Private Messages

curiousII
09-16-2016, 06:11 PM
When Anthrogenica sends notice to your email inbox that you have a new, unviewed private message, the entire private message is included in the email. Since the private message is now no longer private, a contradiction in terms has happened.

Since some of Anthrogenica's members are now paying customers, why would they expect to have private communications handled in such an unwieldy manner? A simple email informing that person that he or she has a new message would suffice, wouldn't it?

Can something be done about this?

Stephen1986
09-16-2016, 10:26 PM
Is the email not from a bot? If so, it's unlikely that anyone other than the people conversing in the PM have actually seen the contents of the message.

C J Wyatt III
09-17-2016, 12:21 AM
Is the email not from a bot? If so, it's unlikely that anyone other than the people conversing in the PM have actually seen the contents of the message.

Say if you share an email address with a spouse, the spouse could see what you are communicating via PM on Anthrogenica. Maybe the spouse thinks you are spending too much time on genealogy.

Jack

curiousII
09-17-2016, 03:55 AM
Say if you share an email...

Right, I was thinking along those lines, sort of. Or any other type of uninvolved and uninvited person. Annual membership and all that now, you'd think this site's give a little more attention to its members privacy.

Táltos
09-17-2016, 02:36 PM
Right, I was thinking along those lines, sort of. Or any other type of uninvolved and uninvited person. Annual membership and all that now, you'd think this site's give a little more attention to its members privacy.

Just to remind you, annual membership is NOT a requirement of this site. You can still be a member on here for FREE! The membership was set up to help offset site upkeep costs. Any additional profit will go to the greater good of the community. i.e. " Any and all surplus revenue beyond this point will be returned to the community through either necessary upgrades or community-volunteered & voted genetics or anthropology ventures, such as kits, projects or schemes." http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?7757-Anthrogenica-Sustainability-amp-Your-Support

With that said the administration is currently looking into your concern. I personally like being able to see the pm message in my email. I look at my email more than signing into the forum. The message can alert me if there is something that needs to be looked into sooner than later.

Scarlet Ibis
09-17-2016, 04:21 PM
When Anthrogenica sends notice to your email inbox that you have a new, unviewed private message, the entire private message is included in the email. Since the private message is now no longer private, a contradiction in terms has happened.

Since some of Anthrogenica's members are now paying customers, why would they expect to have private communications handled in such an unwieldy manner? A simple email informing that person that he or she has a new message would suffice, wouldn't it?

Can something be done about this?

Thank you for the feedback, curiousII.

As Taltos said, we are looking into your concern, but for the time being, you can always go into your settings, and turn off email notifications for your PMs. You will still receive a notification on the homescreen of Anthrogenica after you login, but you won't receive an email about it.

User Control Panel > Settings > General Settings > Click the box or circle next to "Don't receive Email Notification of new Private Messages"

Also, as a gentle reminder, although user privacy is held in the utmost respect (for both donating and non-donating members, doesn't matter), the nature of the internet is such that, unfortunately, using the PM system on this forum, or on any other discussion forum, to transmit particularly sensitive information is a risk that I, personally, wouldn't take.

AnnieD
09-18-2016, 12:59 AM

You must be fresh from the "Snowden" docu-drama? B). Saw it yesterday to a not very packed house. Nonetheless, if you believe Oliver Stone's storytelling style, you will still be looking for that privacy regardless ;)

curiousII
10-10-2016, 04:48 AM
Thank you for the feedback, curiousII...User Control Panel > Settings > General Settings > Click the box or circle next to "Don't receive Email Notification of new Private Messages."

Got another private message email today, had the whole private message included along with the sender's Anthrogenica tag. Along with my "Curious" tag, too, of course and I just double-checked my settings and the notification's turned off. Which I did not long after reading your post.

Not really griping, but you can see how there's a privacy problem here. I certainly don't want to scare off anyone who'd even wish to send me private messages as I've gotten good information and advice from the few that I have gotten, but I'd also wish to protect the other person's privacy as much as I could. Which apparently isn't much.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it. A paltry concern, this is a nice site but it is something that could cause discord for some.

ancestryfan1994
12-04-2016, 05:25 PM
My PM states that theres 100 stored messages despite me clearing it out a few times, can somebody sort this out please?

MitchellSince1893
12-04-2016, 05:40 PM
Have you cleared out your sent messages as well as received?

ancestryfan1994
12-04-2016, 05:41 PM
Have you cleared out your sent messages as well as received?

Seems to have done the trick!

AnnieD
12-04-2016, 07:16 PM
I came across another forum which discusses similar anthropology & genetic-related matters & noted a declaration by the main Admin. that, unlike other forums, private messages were never read by the staff. Does anyone know what the policy of Anthrogenica is on this matter? It looks like there is some cross-modding / admining at similar online forums. If I am correct about this, 1 of these apparently very busy mods has a contentious religious platform on another controversial, heavily trolled forum. Therefore, this power to read & potentially disseminate words or (perceived) thoughts across international platforms seems worrisome.

DMXX
12-04-2016, 08:46 PM
Does anyone know what the policy of Anthrogenica is on this matter?

As one of the active (and founding) admins, I can confirm that no member of the forum administration has ever had the ability to read any member PM's at any point in time.

The only conceivable way we could view member PMs is by resetting their passwords. In which case, the account owners will know their privacy has been compromised.

AnnieD
12-04-2016, 09:37 PM
As one of the active (and founding) admins, I can confirm that no member of the forum administration has ever had the ability to read any member PM's at any point in time.

The only conceivable way we could view member PMs is by resetting their passwords. In which case, the account owners will know their privacy has been compromised.

The representation that I read was that Vbulletins software offered an ad-on tool that allowed forum admins to read PM. Perhaps Anthrogenica utilizes a different version of this software or is not aware of this option. Or, perhaps the poster that I read was wrong (maybe assumed the option was available but per his own principles decided not to try it out).

DMXX
12-04-2016, 10:50 PM
The representation that I read was that Vbulletins software offered an ad-on tool that allowed forum admins to read PM. Perhaps Anthrogenica utilizes a different version of this software or is not aware of this option. Or, perhaps the poster that I read was wrong (maybe assumed the option was available but per his own principles decided not to try it out).

There are plugins which permit one to browse PMs. We don't have any of these plugins installed. There is no functional purpose to having them.

Most questions asked are in fact answered by someone within the administration eventually. I encourage readers to browse the Forum Support (http://www.anthrogenica.com/forumdisplay.php?17-Forum-Support) area to corroborate this.

Not all the administrators here are on the same page with respect to this forum's technical management. Some of us are quite generalised in our scope, others more specific.

There is also some serious, very nasty trolling going on at another forum that discusses anthro-genetics, with 1 member recently mentioning a tendency towards "violence". One of their key posters was on this site recently & eventually banned.

There's nasty content in a thousand plus venues online. In keeping with section 6.6 of our Terms of Service, please PM one of us in private regarding this point. I don't actually know who you are referring to.

Are you mods & admins available to handle this forum?

One of us is almost always guaranteed to be online, thanks to our distribution across the world and our large team. We can afford to have a transient presence, as I myself have these days.

I got no response to that post, so I've been thinking twice about how often I visit & post on this forum

I assume you're referring to this post (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?9049-Problems-editing-posts&p=198673&viewfull=1#post198673), correct?

As you indicated the problem was transient and resolved by using other devices or browsers, there isn't any substantial reply the administration could've provided, since you solved your own issue.

AnnieD
12-05-2016, 02:33 AM
Many thanks for your clarifications, DMXX! I stand corrected in my assumptions so mea culpa.

In regard to last issue, e.g. edits not saved or posted, I would further add that some of my AuDNA test responses & even edits have taken 15 or more minutes to craft. It was frustrating to lose that work and have to start over. It took several instances of this occurring before I learned to start saving my work in a separate document so that I could then transfer it to the 2nd device to log back into the site. OTOH, it appears that no one else is having this issue. Therefore, it is likely to be relegated to my devices and not a forum software glitch. As you indicated, I found my own work-around to the issue.