PDA

View Full Version : Are Thunder Thighs In Your DNA

basque
04-29-2013, 07:45 PM
Are you still plagued by thunder thigh`s or jelly belly no matter how hard you work out? :fear:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2316240/Are-thunder-thighs-DNA-Exercise-like-having-flat-stomach-simply-genetic-make-up.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

basque :rolleyes:

Diana
04-29-2013, 08:59 PM
I have always had to work harder at maintaining my figure than most of my friends...Must be the Italian, thanks mom..... ;)

Little bit
05-01-2013, 11:50 AM
I've got boyish hips and thighs and I hate it. I do come from a long line of females with the same boyish figures. I get a weird result from 23andme for the "Response to Exercise" report:

rs4994 GG Decreasing calorie intake and increasing physical activity through walking is not associated with weight loss.

Among 102 people in my group and extended shares, I'm the only one with that genotype. Only 16 are AG and 4 of those are related to me. The snp has been linked with endurance athletes but it's supposed to seriously up my risk for diabetes. I did get gestational diabetes in both my pregnancies despite being thin and I was only 30 during my first pregnancy. I think it does improve stamina because I can literally exercise for hours without feeling tired and can do for days on end. I was in the Army and nothing ever bothered me whereas other's would complain and get medical excuses to get out of stuff.

AJL
05-02-2013, 02:37 AM
I get a weird result from 23andme for the "Response to Exercise" report:

rs4994 GG Decreasing calorie intake and increasing physical activity through walking is not associated with weight loss.

Among 102 people in my group and extended shares, I'm the only one with that genotype. Only 16 are AG

My mother and maternal aunt are both AG for that marker too.

Little bit
05-02-2013, 11:35 AM
ALFRED has a lousy report for this snp and dbSNP just gives the basics. I'd love to know which European populations hung on to the G allele, which is the ancestral allele. It's as uncommon in Africans as most Europeans, with Asians showing the most G's. Looking through opensnp, I notice that Denisova hominin is also GG :beerchug:
http://opensnp.org/snps/rs4994#users

basque
05-02-2013, 07:45 PM
I have AA at rs4994 decreasing calorie intake and increasing physical activity through walking is associated with weight loss. My Response to exercise report was good.

basque :rolleyes: