PDA

View Full Version : 23andme $99 Ancestry only test released in U.S.

ArmandoR1b
09-22-2016, 12:45 PM
23andme has released an Ancestry only test in the U.S. for $99. If a person wishes to upgrade after getting the Ancestry test it is another $125.

https://www.23andme.com/dna-ancestry/

NiloSaharan
09-23-2016, 07:32 PM
This would be a sweeter deal if they upgraded their V4 chip; you're missing over 110,000 SNPs compared to FTDNA (ISSOG, Autosomal DNA testing comparison chart) (http://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_testing_comparison_chart).

Then again, I doubt this would be a major concern for the bulk of their target market. That's another story for those interested in admix calcs and collecting data on distant detected matches (<7cm). I lost 11 distant GEDmatches when using my 23andMe kit vs. FTDNA, even if most of these matches are IBS, it's still nice to take them into account for statistical purposes of different populations.

Will FTDNA counter back with a lower price? :boxing: ... I hope so, it'd be nice to see their $69 summer sale stay at that price.

C J Wyatt III
09-23-2016, 07:39 PM
This would be a sweeter deal if they upgraded their V4 chip; you're missing over 110,000 SNPs compared to FTDNA((ISSOG, Autosomal DNA testing comparison chart) (http://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_testing_comparison_chart).

Then again, I doubt this would be a major concern for the bulk of their target market. That's another story for those interested in admix calcs and collecting data on distant detected matches (<7cm). I lost 11 distant GEDmatches when using my 23andMe kit vs. FTDNA, even if most of these matches are IBS, it's still nice to take them into account for statistical purposes of different populations.

Will FTDNA fight back with a counter offer? :boxing: ... I hope so, it'd be nice to see their $69 summer sale stay at that price.

Unfortunately AncestryDNA recently decided to get into the crippled kit business along with 23andMe. Get more SNP's per dollar with Family Finder!

Jack

C J Wyatt III
09-23-2016, 07:42 PM
Will FTDNA counter back with a lower price? :boxing: ... I hope so, it'd be nice to see their $69 summer sale stay at that price.

https://www.familytreedna.com/family-finder-compare.aspx

$79 plus sample collection fee.

NiloSaharan
09-23-2016, 07:57 PM
https://www.familytreedna.com/family-finder-compare.aspx

$79 plus sample collection fee.

...well, well, well - This industry is a lot more competitive than I thought :beerchug:

cvolt
09-23-2016, 08:12 PM
I have done Ancestry but want to do another test. Would you guys recommend 23 and me or ftdna for autosomal?

C J Wyatt III
09-23-2016, 08:20 PM
I have done Ancestry but want to do another test. Would you guys recommend 23 and me or ftdna for autosomal?

Ordinarily, I would say Family Finder, but if your AncestryDNA is not the new version, you can upload those results to Family finder for $39 dollars. The only reason in my mind for having a 23andMe V4 chipset kit is to compare with other V4 kits.

Jack

cvolt
09-23-2016, 08:24 PM
Ordinarily, I would say Family Finder, but if your AncestryDNA is not the new version, you can upload those results to Family finder for $39 dollars. The only reason in my mind for having a 23andMe V4 chipset kit is to compare with other V4 kits.

Jack

I'll try the ftdna transfer first!

edit: wow it's a lot more accurate than Ancestry. 48% Scandinavian wooooo

ArmandoR1b
09-23-2016, 09:35 PM
This would be a sweeter deal if they upgraded their V4 chip; you're missing over 110,000 SNPs compared to FTDNA (ISSOG, Autosomal DNA testing comparison chart) (http://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_testing_comparison_chart).

From the link (which I was already aware of)

Overall accuracy and sophistication of the biogeographical ancestry analysis rated on a 1-10 scale with 10 being excellent and 1 being poor

For 23andme: Overall rating: 7

Number of autosomal SNPs tested at 23andme: 577,382

According to Razib Khan If you have 100,000 or more markers that’s more than enough genotype data for individuals

http://www.unz.com/gnxp/admixture-analysis-isnt-wrong-it-misleads/

ArmandoR1b
09-23-2016, 09:40 PM

You really should do both. Never limit yourself to just one or two of the companies. Try all three to see the differences yourself. FTDNA myOrigins is farther off from the genealogical record of more people with European ancestry than 23andme is.

Dr_McNinja
09-25-2016, 12:29 AM
Do they still give you your raw data? Because then you can just get the Health results from something like Promethease...

ArmandoR1b
09-26-2016, 01:20 PM
Do they still give you your raw data? Because then you can just get the Health results from something like Promethease...

Yes but I've never had the Ancestry only test to know how many SNPs are missing that could be run through Promethease. The raw data download on the new experience is at https://you.23andme.com/tools/data/download/

Ann Turner
09-27-2016, 10:54 AM
Yes but I've never had the Ancestry only test to know how many SNPs are missing that could be run through Promethease. The raw data download on the new experience is at https://you.23andme.com/tools/data/download/
There is no difference in the raw data download for the ancestry only test. The FDA never interfered with that.

A Norfolk L-M20
09-27-2016, 04:23 PM
Will the new US-only Ancestry deal include haplogroup reporting (albeit with their outdated nomenclature)? The FTDNA Family Finder package is autosomal only. No report on haplogroups, although it does mean that they have your sample, from which you can order Y and mtDNA tests on later.

I recently partook in the FTDNA summer sale Family Finder, having previously taken 23andMe V4. The matching service is one thing (I never seem to find anyone with any connection), but I'm totally unimpressed by My Origins. I thought that with my known family history and paper ancestry, that 23andMe were pretty off target, but FTDNA My Origins was totally off the board. I can't take it seriously.

Svabinsky
09-28-2016, 08:20 PM

The Family Finder function at FTDNA is better than 23andMe's (I have almost 5100 relatives in FTDNA v 1500 on 23andMe) but, personally speaking, I feel that FTDNA's MyOrigins (your ancestry composition) stinks. At least for me, 23andMe was a lot better at breaking down what FTDNA left as large chunks into finer, more specific populations.

I have also come across people on message boards that had misassigned ancestry from FTDNA. As an example, for one person her breakdown on FTDNA came back to include 10% Jewish whereas on 23andMe the individual had 0% Jewish ancestry (which was confirmed by the person's gedmatch results). When the person contacted FTDNA, they told her that different companies use different populations for references. Ashkenazi Jews have a pretty distinct genetic admix so I am not sure what reference population FTDNA was using.

23andMe is better for ancestry breakdown. FTDNA is better for relative matches and also for their deep tests.

ArmandoR1b
09-28-2016, 09:38 PM
Will the new US-only Ancestry deal include haplogroup reporting (albeit with their outdated nomenclature)? The FTDNA Family Finder package is autosomal only. No report on haplogroups, although it does mean that they have your sample, from which you can order Y and mtDNA tests on later.
Of course the haplogroup reporting will be included. It even states so on the link I included in the opening post - https://www.23andme.com/en-int/ancestry/

Discover your ancestral origins and trace your lineage with a personalized analysis of your DNA.

Ancestry composition
Family tree tool
DNA relatives
Maternal and paternal lineages
Neanderthal percentage

I have tested with 23andme, AncestryDNA, FTDNA Family Finder, FTDNA mtDNA FMS, Y-DNA111, Y-DNA Deep Clade, and several Y-DNA SNP packs. All a little a time as needed and as the options became available. I am extremely appreciative of FTDNA making the advanced Y-DNA and mtDNA testing available. Both have been extremely helpful for me.

I recently partook in the FTDNA summer sale Family Finder, having previously taken 23andMe V4. The matching service is one thing (I never seem to find anyone with any connection), but I'm totally unimpressed by My Origins. I thought that with my known family history and paper ancestry, that 23andMe were pretty off target, but FTDNA My Origins was totally off the board. I can't take it seriously.
I agree that myOrigins is much worse than 23andme for the ethnicity calculator. I have found matches at all 3 companies that have helped me learn a lot about my DNA and the DNA of my relatives and ancestors.

ArmandoR1b
09-28-2016, 09:40 PM
I feel that FTDNA's MyOrigins (your ancestry composition) stinks.......23andMe is better for ancestry breakdown. FTDNA is better for relative matches and also for their deep tests.

I agree

cvolt
09-29-2016, 11:38 AM
The Family Finder function at FTDNA is better than 23andMe's (I have almost 5100 relatives in FTDNA v 1500 on 23andMe) but, personally speaking, I feel that FTDNA's MyOrigins (your ancestry composition) stinks. At least for me, 23andMe was a lot better at breaking down what FTDNA left as large chunks into finer, more specific populations.

I have also come across people on message boards that had misassigned ancestry from FTDNA. As an example, for one person her breakdown on FTDNA came back to include 10% Jewish whereas on 23andMe the individual had 0% Jewish ancestry (which was confirmed by the person's gedmatch results). When the person contacted FTDNA, they told her that different companies use different populations for references. Ashkenazi Jews have a pretty distinct genetic admix so I am not sure what reference population FTDNA was using.

23andMe is better for ancestry breakdown. FTDNA is better for relative matches and also for their deep tests.

I can agree with that. I'd like to try 23 and Me very soon!