PDA

View Full Version : Please help me understand my Ancestry resullts

JuliePI
09-24-2016, 12:59 PM
Hi all,

I just received my ancestry results and need some help interpreting them.

My mother is Polish/German and my father unknown. Could you help guess his identity?

Thank you for the help!

Abd.H
09-24-2016, 01:27 PM
I think your father could be North African or half North African
And maybe with Egyptin ancestry because he has Middle Eastern with North African

Ignis90
09-24-2016, 01:55 PM
Yeah, father is probably full of half North African. Besides the "African" and "West Asian", part of the "European" probably also comes from your father.
You should use gedmatch, DNALand etc to get a better picture of your father's ethnicity.

And what do you look like, if it's not too personal ofc?

JuliePI
09-24-2016, 02:13 PM
Thank you both for the help!

The East and West European add up almost exactly to 50% so I believe they are from my mother.

I look quite fair with green eyes and brown curly hair, quite a long face with a wide / short nose.

I have always been told that my father was most likely Spanish which however seems wrong now and the North African a new and interesting option. Which tests are best to predict the nationality for north africa? Most of the Gedmatch predicts Moroccan / Algerian. I have attached the Eurogenes K13 Oracle 4 and DNA Land. Not sure what to make of them.

Using 1 population approximation:
1 Romanian @ 15.047709
2 Serbian @ 15.109169
3 Bulgarian @ 15.757818
4 North_Italian @ 17.730375
5 Greek_Thessaly @ 18.113956
6 Tuscan @ 18.874535
7 Moldavian @ 19.837444
8 Portuguese @ 20.009544
9 Spanish_Galicia @ 20.201374
10 Hungarian @ 20.599165
11 Spanish_Extremadura @ 21.345547
12 Croatian @ 21.383240
13 Spanish_Castilla_Y_Leon @ 22.159822
14 Austrian @ 22.239492
15 West_Sicilian @ 22.503134
16 French @ 22.562029
17 Spanish_Murcia @ 22.638470
18 Spanish_Cataluna @ 23.022221
19 Spanish_Valencia @ 23.415621
20 Italian_Abruzzo @ 23.723257

Using 2 populations approximation:
1 50% Moroccan +50% South_Polish @ 5.759448

Using 3 populations approximation:
1 50% Moroccan +25% North_Swedish +25% Ukrainian @ 4.908956

Using 4 populations approximation:
1 East_German + Estonian + Moroccan + Moroccan @ 4.602125
2 Austrian + Estonian + Moroccan + Moroccan @ 4.708715
3 Algerian + East_German + Estonian + Moroccan @ 4.734025
4 Lithuanian + Moroccan + Moroccan + South_Dutch @ 4.817363
5 Belorussian + East_German + Moroccan + Moroccan @ 4.831609
6 Lithuanian + Moroccan + 11806Moroccan + Southeast_English @ 4.835235
7 East_German + Estonian + Moroccan + Mozabite_Berber @ 4.836880
8 East_German + Estonian + Moroccan + Tunisian @ 4.861731
9 Algerian + Austrian + Estonian + Moroccan @ 4.872548
10 East_German + Moroccan + Moroccan + Southwest_Finnish @ 4.898556

jpb
09-24-2016, 02:20 PM
In my opinion, it looks like your father was North African with maybe some recent Southern European ancestry. Good luck

loisrp
09-24-2016, 03:34 PM
Who are your DNA matches? If your father is North African, that likely means the pool of testers is quite small, so you may not have many matches from his side. But I'd suggest to use all 3 major DNA sites, and see if you can find any non-maternal DNA matches. That will be more enlightening than trying to divine ethnicity from the estimates.

JuliePI
09-24-2016, 03:45 PM
I just ordered a kit from 23andme too. On Ancestry I have only 9 predicted 4th cousins. All 4th cousins have shared east/ west european and no mediterranean and no north african background. Hence it's not been very helpful so far. Which is the 3rd test that you would recommend?

Ignis90
09-24-2016, 03:47 PM
In my opinion, it looks like your father was North African with maybe some recent Southern European ancestry. Good luck

No recent European ancestry, it looks like an average Northwest African/Berber/Maghrebi. It's pretty normal for native North Africans to score some European because there are many(too many) European components.

Thank you both for the help!

The East and West European add up almost exactly to 50% so I believe they are from my mother.

I look quite fair with green eyes and brown curly hair, quite a long face with a wide / short nose.

I have always been told that my father was most likely Spanish which however seems wrong now and the North African a new and interesting option. Which tests are best to predict the nationality for north africa? Most of the Gedmatch predicts Moroccan / Algerian. I have attached the Eurogenes K13 Oracle 4 and DNA Land. Not sure what to make of them.

Thanks for the description. In which country do you live?

It's going to be hard to predict the country because from Morocco to Western Libya, it's pretty much the same population. There is a small variation but it doesn't follow the modern borders between countries, so your dna autosomal profile doesn't answer anything. You'll have to wait for close matches to appear, but ancestry dna is the least likely to be used by North Africans because it doesn't ship there and in France either (if I'm not wrong).
You should check your gedmatch matches from time to time, and if you have money you should test yourself with FTDNA and 23andme in order to cover the main companies. In any case, you'll have to be patient as it can take years to get a close match, especially in under-tested populations.

AJL
09-24-2016, 03:55 PM
I think your father could be North African or half North African
And maybe with Egyptin ancestry because he has Middle Eastern with North African

A good possibility. Maybe also something like Libyan or Tunisian because of recent Italian and much earlier Greek and Roman presence, respectively. The algorithm suggests Morocco -- so quite possibly as far west as there, but in any event, most likely somewhere between Egypt and Morocco.

Also, what are the 4% trace regions,JuliePI? Those could be very revealing.

JuliePI
09-24-2016, 05:24 PM
@Ignis90
Thanks again for your helpful comments! I was raised in Germany but live in the UK. Just yesterday I ordered 23andme so I will have their results end November. Have you seen comparable tests of North Africans with Middle Eastern / Mediterranean and North African? I'm curious how others score. Also, completely understand that waiting for a match can last a long time. After a lifetime with no information, finding out the North African percentage is already already a big step.

@AJL
I'm not sure which sample populations the Eurogenes K13 algorithm uses and whether they have Libyan even in their database therefore Moroccan was probably the closest. The Trace Regions are:
Africa: 2% Mali ; <1% Senegal
Europe: Great British 2% ; European Jewish 1% ; Irish <1%

Ignis90
09-24-2016, 05:53 PM
@Ignis90
Thanks again for your helpful comments! I was raised in Germany but live in the UK. Just yesterday I ordered 23andme so I will have their results end November. Have you seen comparable tests of North Africans with Middle Eastern / Mediterranean and North African? I'm curious how others score. Also, completely understand that waiting for a match can last a long time. After a lifetime with no information, finding out the North African percentage is already already a big step.

You're welcome.
These tests usually give heterogeneous results to Northwest Africans despite being a quite homogeneous population. As I said, it's partially because there are too many European components. So don't focus too much on the results given by companies but only on what you get on gedmatch, especially the most recent calculators (partially based on ancient DNA).
There are two members here who are very similar to you, you can find their results in this forum:
kikkk (Tunisian with a Northwest European parent) (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?7408-My-FTDNA-results) and rz1706 (half Kabyle, half Alpine French).

Pegasusphm1
09-24-2016, 06:08 PM
Interesting perhaps Punic, Phoenican in your woodshed. You should test your Y-DNA Familytree DNA, Your Y-DNA Haplogroup and subclad is your Dad, and all those Dad's before him..

Agamemnon
09-24-2016, 06:20 PM
Your father clearly was North African.

AJL
09-24-2016, 06:25 PM
Thanks -- the European Jewish is low and probably a trace from the Polish side (as are possibly the British and Irish). A trace of Subsaharan is not uncommon in North Africa, but I suspect in this case it is more likely to point to somewhere west of Egypt because the African populations are all very western. Morocco is not a bad guess but as loisrp said actual matches will be helpful.

JuliePI
09-24-2016, 06:51 PM
Wow! Thanks that's very useful.

I was suspecting my father to be North African immediately when I got the results. However, according to Ancestry the ways I compare to the average North African is very limited. Any thoughts or similar experiences?

JuliePI
09-24-2016, 07:04 PM
You're welcome.
These tests usually give heterogeneous results to Northwest Africans despite being a quite homogeneous population. As I said, it's partially because there are too many European components. So don't focus too much on the results given by companies but only on what you get on gedmatch, especially the most recent calculators (partially based on ancient DNA).
There are two members here who are very similar to you, you can find their results in this forum:
kikkk (Tunisian with a Northwest European parent) (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?7408-My-FTDNA-results) and rz1706 (half Kabyle, half Alpine French).

@Ignis90 - I don't have a lot of expertise with Gedmatch, could you explain which calculators you're referring to specifically?

loisrp
09-25-2016, 01:57 AM
The three big companies you should use are Ancestry, FamilyTreeDNA, and 23AndMe. So it sounds like the only one you have left now is FamilyTreeDNA.

Ignis90
09-25-2016, 05:42 PM
@Ignis90 - I don't have a lot of expertise with Gedmatch, could you explain which calculators you're referring to specifically?

Well, if you check regularly this forum in the autosomal DNA section, the newest calculators are usually in the most recently discussed threads. Some of them are even available directly here.
The most active recently are the Eurogenes Project, the MDLP, puntDNA and GedrosiaDNA. Some other people release their DIY calculators here too.

JuliePI
02-25-2017, 10:07 PM
I finally finished testing with the 3 big companies. Even though I only know 50% of the story, the ancestry results seem the most accurate. What is surprising though is that I get 10% Middle Eastern there and almost none with the others. It also seems to confirm that my father was full or half North African. My closest match is a 4th cousin (or closer) that is a girl from Morocco.

antonia08
02-26-2017, 11:56 PM
Hello,

We have similar results from Ancestry DNA and I'm half Algerian (father) and half English (mother). It looks like your father is most likely North African.

Africa 21%
Africa North 16%
Trace Regions 5%
Asia < 1%
Trace Regions < 1%
Europe 66%
Iberian Peninsula 19%
Italy/Greece 18%
Great Britain 12%
Europe West 10%
Scandinavia 5%
Trace Regions 2%
West Asia 12%
Middle East 12%

JuliePI
02-27-2017, 08:00 PM
Hi, Wow! Very similar indeed, almost identical on North Africa and Middle East. You score much higher on Iberian and Italy though so some of that must come from your mother's side I imagine. Have you tested with Gedmatch too? Curious to see what are your K13 or K15 results. For me these were the most accurate as far as I can tell.