PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry restricting access?

Pegasusphm1
09-24-2016, 05:05 PM
A few months past, Ancestry's circles and discoveries (BETA) features had been opened up. Showing possible correlations to 5th-8th level matches. Then they shut it down. Majority of Ancestry tools seem to restrict customer access to 4th generation tier. Using Google Chrome add-ons demonstrates Ancestry restricting the indexing databases compared to their own tools. Ancestry runs a pay for play genealogy team, are these controls in place to push consumers to the higher tier services?

With FTDNA entering into strategic partnerships with ancestry's market share competitors, it won't belong until they are overtaken anyway. Sorta of reminds me of EMC vs Compaq OPEN storage battle over data storage from 1990s. Big dog about to be overtaken by lose confederation of warring tribes.

Cinnamon orange
09-25-2016, 02:13 PM
Ancestry has in my experience long tried to push people into subscriptions. After all it is where they make most of their money. I suppose their moto is why give something for free that they can sell, if you get a DNA test there you will be pushed into subscriptions to 'learn more'.

Baltimore1937
09-27-2016, 02:42 PM
I don't understand what you mean. I only have a few circles. The one I've been delving into lately has no restrictions that I noticed. If you wish to look deep into a tree, just click on "full tree" (or whatever that button is called).