PDA

View Full Version : Jewish R1a - Scythian?

Viktor Reznov
09-26-2016, 07:16 PM
I was reading the wikipedia article in English about Tel Aviv and stumbled upon this:

In the early state of the Great Revolt in Judea, Cestius Gallus, the Roman legate of Syria, assembled the Syrian legion XII Fulminata reinforced with units of III Gallica, IIII Scythica, and VI Ferrata, plus auxiliaries and allies (a total of approximately 30,000 soldiers) in order to restore order in the neighbouring province.
Could the R1a branch found in Jews come from those Scythians? Are they known to have carried similar branches(if something is known about their y-dna at all)? I know the leading theories involve Indo-Aryans or Medians but I think this could also be a possibility.

Agamemnon
09-26-2016, 07:44 PM
I very much doubt the Fourth Scythian Legion (Legio Quarta Scythica) was actually made up of Scythians, it was probably named that way because it initially fought the Scythians before taking part in the Roman-Parthian wars, it was stationed in the Roman province of Syria so I'd assume most of the recruits would've been Syrian (and Greek) by the time this legion was sent to Judea.

Ricardoni
06-23-2018, 04:56 PM
Z2122, the Balkar-Khazar line.