PDA

View Full Version : Possible Maori/Australian Aboriginal Ancestry?

Dissouled
10-05-2016, 05:23 PM
I'm wondering if there might be any possibility of Maori or Aboriginal ancestry based on my scores on GedMatch. I am African-American however on my maternal side there is oral history that a great-grandmother (possibly 2x) came from some type of island country, vague details and not sure what that could allude to, but I notice a distinct and consistent Oceanian percentage in calculators. Some calculators in my observation appear to substitute that component by breaking it down into additional South Asian categories but still seems consistent. I also notice I have a decent number of people matches living specifically in New Zealand(7) and Australia(10). Could all of these details along with the percentages possibly hint at real Maori/Aboriginal ancestry?

MDLP World: Oceanian - 0.80%
MDLP K23b: Australoid - 1.37%
MDLP World-22: Austronesian - 0.53% + Melanesian - 0.11%

PuntDNAL K12 Modern: Oceanian - 1.40%

HarappaWorld: S-Indian - 0.52%(?) + Papuan - 0.39%

Eurogenes K13: Oceanian - 0.80%

Dodecad World9: Australasian - 0.17%

BalkanKiwi
10-05-2016, 09:39 PM
I'm wondering if there might be any possibility of Maori or Aboriginal ancestry based on my scores on GedMatch. I am African-American however on my maternal side there is oral history that a great-grandmother (possibly 2x) came from some type of island country, vague details and not sure what that could allude to, but I notice a distinct and consistent Oceanian percentage in calculators. Some calculators in my observation appear to substitute that component by breaking it down into additional South Asian categories but still seems consistent. I also notice I have a decent number of people matches living specifically in New Zealand(7) and Australia(10). Could all of these details along with the percentages possibly hint at real Maori/Aboriginal ancestry?

MDLP World: Oceanian - 0.80%
MDLP K23b: Australoid - 1.37%
MDLP World-22: Austronesian - 0.53% + Melanesian - 0.11%

PuntDNAL K12 Modern: Oceanian - 1.40%

HarappaWorld: S-Indian - 0.52%(?) + Papuan - 0.39%

Eurogenes K13: Oceanian - 0.80%

Dodecad World9: Australasian - 0.17%

Hi there,

Sounds like you have an interesting case! From the results I've seen of other African Americans, it's not uncommon to get some Oceanian/Papuan/Australasian. The fact you have an oral story is interesting. If you can't find a paper record with a birthplace, the next thing would be seeing if your New Zealand and Australian matches have Oceanian haplogroups. If so, having a look to see if you match on an Oceanian segment/s.

Tomenable
04-02-2017, 05:41 PM
100% Australian Aboriginal results can be found here:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?9193-Gedmatch-results-of-a-Native-Australian-sample&p=200111&viewfull=1#post200111